World Games Kaohsiung 2009

Well, depends on how you define “toilet”, building stadiums and all the infrastructure and hosting those events gives a lot of people a lot of things to do, so the money goes in the pockets of hundreds of companies and thousands of their employees, which should be good for the economy. So it’s not a complete waste of money, I think. Sure, there might be better ways of spending tax payer’s money, but it’s not a complete waste. At least better than financing government palaces in Palau…
What I would question is the long-term plans for those facilities. How could they be used efficiently for the benefit of the people?

How wrong you are Sand-TaiwanHater-Man!! Loretta has booked the place soild for the coming year. That’s right - he’s bringing Crazy English (Welsh style) to the betelnut-chewing masses.

[quote=“Icon”]
Ehem, Ludahai, the Zhongshan Stadium, the ONLY FIFA approved soccer field in Taiwan, has been “destroyed” for all soccer purposes, on behalf of the International Horticultural Flower Expo.

[quote]Meanwhile, the Taipei City Government plans to use the Zhongshan Stadium to host the Taipei International Gardening and Horticulture Exposition in 2010. As a result, the stadium will be closed next summer for renovation.
In the meantime, the city plans to use the Taipei Gymnasium, which opens in 2009, to host soccer games. [/quote][/quote]

As to what Taipei is going with the Zhongshan stadium, I really have no idea. Any reason you think the stadium in Gaosiong will NOT be approved by FIFA once the World Games are completed?

I think we’re being a little too cynical and perhaps unfair here. Sports are still in their infancy here so yeah, by Western standards the “World Games” would be a joke. And sure it was expensive to hold the event here. But to locals, it’s a chance to get excited about something they rarely see and may raise awareness and interest. Maybe not in Korfball (what the hell is that?) but in sports in general.

I always thought the soccer stadium in Taipei was an eyesore. I’m glad they’re re-doing it and the entire area. Yeah, it won’t raise international exposure of Taiwan a lick and sure, some local politicians will benefit as they always do when a major project is completed in their area (how could they not?).

But afterwards, we’ll have a decent looking stadium and improved parks to take the kids to. We’ll be able to enjoy the area and improved facilities for years. What’s wrong with that?

There’s a plus to most of this stuff that is being overlooked.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Icon”]
Ehem, Ludahai, the Zhongshan Stadium, the ONLY FIFA approved soccer field in Taiwan, has been “destroyed” for all soccer purposes, on behalf of the International Horticultural Flower Expo.

[quote]Meanwhile, the Taipei City Government plans to use the Zhongshan Stadium to host the Taipei International Gardening and Horticulture Exposition in 2010. As a result, the stadium will be closed next summer for renovation.
In the meantime, the city plans to use the Taipei Gymnasium, which opens in 2009, to host soccer games. [/quote][/quote]

As to what Taipei is going with the Zhongshan stadium, I really have no idea. Any reason you think the stadium in Gaosiong will NOT be approved by FIFA once the World Games are completed?[/quote]

None other that it has not been done yet and there is little political support to get it done. However, since it is our only hope, I trust it will be done…eventually…someday…if all goes well…

[quote=“Icon”]
None other that it has not been done yet and there is little political support to get it done. However, since it is our only hope, I trust it will be done…eventually…someday…if all goes well…[/quote]

Here’s to hoping… :pray:

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Icon”]
None other that it has not been done yet and there is little political support to get it done. However, since it is our only hope, I trust it will be done…eventually…someday…if all goes well…[/quote]

Here’s to hoping… :pray:[/quote]

Well, Brazil is getting the next World Cup after South Africa, so, we still have time to prepere here in Taiwan. :smiley:

Yup, I spent yesterday and today in a packed gymnasium at I-Shou university watching roller-hockey and the locals loved it.

We live in this neighborhood and thought it was just temporary–have they really torn down the stadium??? I thought I read somewhere that there’s some soccer event happening in Tainan in August, now we know why it’s there and not in Taipei. We really liked both parks and were looking forward to picnics and bikes there this summer because they’re so close. Formosa Fitness is right, the stadium will be nicer but I hope we’ll be able to say the same for what used to be Artist Park and Yuan Shan Park.

[quote=“braxtonhicks”][quote=“Icon”]

[/quote]

We live in this neighborhood and thought it was just temporary–have they really torn down the stadium??? I thought I read somewhere that there’s some soccer event happening in Tainan in August, now we know why it’s there and not in Taipei. We really liked both parks and were looking forward to picnics and bikes there this summer because they’re so close. Formosa Fitness is right, the stadium will be nicer but I hope we’ll be able to say the same for what used to be Artist Park and Yuan Shan Park.[/quote]

Not really torn down, but the mayor modifications will be dificult to be unbdone, and the field, for soccer purposes, itself is a complete loss.

Like the old zoo next to it, they will make/are making mayor changes. See the links I set in the previous page.