World Games Kaohsiung 2009

While researching on teh parallell activitues, I found this. Cute kids.

[quote]The 2009 World Games will open July 16 with the ceremonial passing of the flag by two German-Taiwanese brothers living in Taiwan. The passing of the flag symbolizes the passing on of the sporting spirit to Taiwan from Germany, the host of the last World Games in 2005, according to the Kaohsiung Organizing Committee.

The German boys, born to a German father and a Taiwanese mother, live in Sindian City in Taipei County. The older brother, Albert Gesk, is a sixth grader at Shuang Fong Elementary School in Sindian while the younger one, Emil, is a second-grader.

Both boys were born and raised in Taiwan and are being educated in the local school system. They speak Chinese better than they speak German. Both said that they like Taiwan.

Apart from their participation in the World Games opening ceremony, the most exciting aspect of their mission is the trip to southern Taiwan for some fun activities, they said.

[/quote]
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/kaohsiung/2009/07/14/216129/Two-local.htm

I went to the new stadium on Tuesday to see the final prelim and medal round matches for the Ultimate tournament. The stadium and surrounding grounds were really very well done. It is a beautiful stadium with first class facilities. I am also impressed by the use of solar panels. The track is also first rate. Even has a steeplechase pit (reminds me of my university track days when I ran the 3000m steeplechase.

Well done Kaohsiung. I wish I could have spent more time down there.

And its about time they had a state-of-the-art multi-million 40,000-seat track and field stadium, seeing as how the athletics-crazy public of southern Taiwan have been clamoring for one for so long.
Surely one of the most expensive failed PR efforts ever undertaken by the Taiwanese authorities.
A massively expensive white elephant, paid for out of your tax dollars, that will now be used for – what, exactly? Pop concerts? Political rallies? They already have a modern baseball stadium down there, so it won’t be used for baseball.

Is it true they are going to build another huge stadium right in the heart of Taipei city somewhere over near Guang Fu? I’ve heard some rumors (no joke)…

Is that what’s going in on the old smokes factory/brewery grounds there across from SYS?

That’ll be for the Deaflympics. Just further evidence of the complete idiocy of a system in which a couple of bigwigs see a story about an event with “international” in front of its name and decide, “hey! Taiwan should host this! It’s an INTERNATIONAL event!” and then none of their much more savvy underlings have the balls to point out that “dude, so WHAT if its international? Nobody fucking watches it! Hell, practically no-one has ever even HEARD of the fucking thing! Money spent on this is going to money thrown straight down the toilet.”

Correct! Behind SYS - here’s an link - it’s old (Oct 2008) but I believe the project is ongoing still.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003424726

And from the Farglory website:

farglorydome.com.tw/indexE.asp#

The Deaflympics is a different (already completed?) stadium behind the egg - this is a whole new one.

Fucking Deaflympics.
Nice name.
All works out, in a couple of years maybe we can host The Gimplympics.
Tardlympics?
Dummylympics!!
How about the KissmyfathairyASSlympics???

On the weekend, we were out around Won Oh Won and there’s banners all over the fucking place, and my daughter asks me how to correctly pronounce “Deaflympics”, I told her there is no way to pronounce it because it AIN’T A FUCKING WORD!!!
OK, I didn’t cuss, because I get a shot to the head from the wife when I do, and them Chia Yi chicks hit fucking hard.
But you get my point.

Hold on there. I watched the TW women take gold in the Tug of War competition around midnight last night, followed up by some inline short track inline speed skating. Best thing on tv, imho. Can’t wait to see some korfball. Who even knew such things existed! :bravo:

Hold on there. I watched the TW women take gold in the Tug of War competition around midnight last night, followed up by some inline short track inline speed skating. Best thing on tv, imho. Can’t wait to see some korfball. Who even knew such things existed! :bravo:[/quote]

What else, Nerf jai alai?
Grass ski and blowgun biathtalon??

:rant:
What this island needs is soccer fever and hosting a World Cup to put T - A - I -W - A - N on the map!!!
:soapbox:
(but then they go and demolish the only approved soccer field to host an “international” flower festival… :cry: )

I think I saw korfball being done on one of those Japanese adult channels in my hotel room - it’s done with stirrups, a long clear flexible tube, and several pounds of baked beans and yogurt, right?

What this island needs is soccer fever and hosting a World Cup to put T - A - I -W - A - N on the map!!!
(but then they go and demolish the only approved soccer field to host an “international” flower festival… :cry: )[/quote]

yeah that flower festival is another colossal waste of mula…they’ve spent a fortune on “renovation” a huge swathe of land including the old footy stadium and about a 3 mile radius of park land around it…basically these 3 events are just a massive waste of tax payers money in a misguided attempt to raise Chinese Taipei’s international profile…why couldn’t the money be spent on a free binlang in schools program for gods sake?

[quote=“the chief”]What else, Nerf jai alai?
Grass ski and blowgun biathtalon??[/quote]

Hmmm…none of those, I’m afraid, but check this out: worldgames2009.tw/wg2009/eng/sports.php?sn=8

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“Icon”]:rant:
(but then they go and demolish the only approved soccer field to host an “international” flower festival… :cry: )[/quote]

yeah that flower festival is another colossal waste of mula…they’ve spent a fortune on “renovation” a huge swathe of land including the old footy stadium and about a 3 mile radius of park land around it…basically these 3 events are just a massive waste of tax payers money in a misguided attempt to raise Chinese Taipei’s international profile…why couldn’t the money be spent on a free binlang in schools program for gods sake?[/quote]

Collossal is to say the least. I don’t wnat to know how much it costs to have Taipei City covered in flower arrangements as it is … in summer.

The only good thing: they are paying people to fix their building’s facades. (I’ll start a thread with a similar thing in Panama that looks realy nice).

Soccer, soccer is teh solution. Imagine binglan covered fans cheering bingland spitting players… the business, eh, I mean, the enthusiasm of the crowds drinking, eating, buying stuff to cheer their teams.

And most importantly, we could promote our tourism, the excellent transportation we have all over the island, our food and culture, all in one. Plus, 24 hour coverage. Yes, socer my friends, as in World Cup, Asian Cup, Federations Cup, that’s the answer.

See Korea, they had it right.

So after a couple of phonecalls I find that the real reason for building the World Games nonsensicality is so they can have a shot at hosting … hold on, cool yer jets … YEAH! The freaking ASIAN GAMES! Massive, man! Like, the WHOLE fucking WORLD will be watching! TALK about putting Taiwan on the MAP, man!
I have a slogan already worked out and everything – Taiwan! More bigger than Laos!!! Well, not really, but HELL! Bigger than Vientiane at least, although true, we can’t make fuckin bread worth a shit, but apart from that…
Wonder how much I can get for that gem?

[quote=“sandman”]And its about time they had a state-of-the-art multi-million 40,000-seat track and field stadium, seeing as how the athletics-crazy public of southern Taiwan have been clamoring for one for so long.
Surely one of the most expensive failed PR efforts ever undertaken by the Taiwanese authorities.
A massively expensive white elephant, paid for out of your tax dollars, that will now be used for – what, exactly? Pop concerts? Political rallies? They already have a modern baseball stadium down there, so it won’t be used for baseball.[/quote]

For one, I understand that it will be used by the national soccer team in addition to Zhongshan Stadium in Taipei.

Hold on there. I watched the TW women take gold in the Tug of War competition around midnight last night, followed up by some inline short track inline speed skating. Best thing on tv, imho. Can’t wait to see some korfball. Who even knew such things existed! :bravo:[/quote]

The Ultimate competition was pretty intense. It was a lot of fun too. The kids seemed to enjoy it. I hope some of the people watching Ultimate for the first time will take up the sport.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“sandman”]And its about time they had a state-of-the-art multi-million 40,000-seat track and field stadium, seeing as how the athletics-crazy public of southern Taiwan have been clamoring for one for so long.
A massively expensive white elephant, paid for out of your tax dollars, that will now be used for – what, exactly? Pop concerts? Political rallies? They already have a modern baseball stadium down there, so it won’t be used for baseball.[/quote]

For one, I understand that it will be used by the national soccer team in addition to Zhongshan Stadium in Taipei.[/quote]

Ehem, Ludahai, the Zhongshan Stadium, the ONLY FIFA approved soccer field in Taiwan, has been “destroyed” for all soccer purposes, on behalf of the International Horticultural Flower Expo.

[quote]Meanwhile, the Taipei City Government plans to use the Zhongshan Stadium to host the Taipei International Gardening and Horticulture Exposition in 2010. As a result, the stadium will be closed next summer for renovation.
In the meantime, the city plans to use the Taipei Gymnasium, which opens in 2009, to host soccer games. [/quote]

Wiki:

[quote]Taipei has the only football-specific stadium in Taiwan, Zhongshan Soccer Stadium, which hosts the national football team. It hosts qualifiers for the FIFA World and AFC regional cups, and finals of school football tournaments. As there is no professional football league in Taiwan, no other sporting events are held there.

[/quote]

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“ludahai”][quote=“sandman”]And its about time they had a state-of-the-art multi-million 40,000-seat track and field stadium, seeing as how the athletics-crazy public of southern Taiwan have been clamoring for one for so long.

For one, I understand that it will be used by the national soccer team in addition to Zhongshan Stadium in Taipei.[/quote]

Ehem, Ludahai, the Zhongshan Stadium, the ONLY FIFA approved soccer field in Taiwan, has been “destroyed” for all soccer purposes, on behalf of the International Horticultural Flower Expo.[/quote]

yeah and the national football team avoids playing in Taiwan as much as possible since its so ashamed of its performances…