Would I be able to teach in Taiwan...?

From what I know… it seems that to teach english (legally) in Taiwan… one has to be from an english-speaking country (US/UK/Australia etc)…

What if I don’t come of one of those following countries but English is still my first language? (by the way I am from Singapore…)
I am currently studying in an Australian university and might consider applying for permanent residency when I graduate next year in June.
Would being a PR of Australia make me eligible for teaching in Taiwan?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could offer some advice… :help:

I think you’re out of luck.

I agree with Maoman. Just browse the forum, or have a look at the ads placed for English teachers. Most Taiwanese have a pre-conceived idea of what an English teacher ‘should look like’ . Sadly lots of ABC’s and CBC’s I know here in Taiwan struggle with this stereotypical conception of foreign teachers.

[quote=“ayu”]From what I know… it seems that to teach English (legally) in Taiwan… one has to be from an English-speaking country (US/UK/Australia etc)…

What if I don’t come of one of those following countries but English is still my first language? (by the way I am from Singapore…)
I am currently studying in an Australian university and might consider applying for permanent residency when I graduate next year in June.
Would being a PR of Australia make me eligible for teaching in Taiwan?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could offer some advice… [/quote]
I have never been able to obtain technical details from the Ministry of Education on this policy … and there is no information posted on the MOE website.

A few weeks ago I asked a USA friend to call the MOE on the telephone to find out about this, but again no one there knew the “technical details.” The lady asked where he was from, and he said “the United States” … and as regards “educational level” he said “university graduate” … and she stated that “Oh, that is no problem, with a US passport your employer will have no problem applying for the work permit …” … however, she was unable to fathom his desire for a COMPLETE STATEMENT OF ALL THE RELEVANT RULES/REGULATIONS, so that he could advise other people. From what I overheard of the conversation, it even sounded as if the lady did not have any such COMPLETE STATEMENT …

To my knowledge, the overseas ROC representative offices are also clueless in this regard.

Well, at any rate, perhaps your best bet is to write a letter to the MOE yourself … and see what you can find out … (by the way, please keep us up-to-date in this forum ) …

P.S. My friend previously sent an email to MOE inquiring about these matters. However he never received an answer.