Would Int'l Driving Licence (IDL) be practical in Taiwan?

I know many would advise me to sit for the local test and get a local licence. I know it’s the best option, but the problem is I’m afraid of the color blindness test. I possess a DL from my native country for almost 20 years, and in the past there was no stringent color-blindness test, as long as you’re able to identify the basic colours; it’s not as if when you’re diagnosed color blind, everything is black and white.

So I’m contemplating getting a IDL from my native country, which will last for a year in Taiwan, after which I will repeat the process year after year.

Is that workable ? Are insurance coverage readily available for IDL holders both as driver and owner?

I’ve been here 2 and half years and I’ve only ever possessed a home country license and an IDL, which I get renewed whenever I get back home (it’s valid for a year). I have never ever ever had a problem with the police or the rental car companies or the scooter sales people, and lord knows I’ve been stopped many many many times, and towed once or twice to boot. So they say you have to get your local license within 6 months of moving here (I’ve also heard a 3-month and a 1-month variation on that theme).

So as a follow-on question: what are the repercussions if you use this IDL-theory and someone finally zaps you (maybe they hit you or you pull a drunk driving stunt) to the point where they actually call you in to meet Zee Germans? Anyone have some background on this?

First of all, it depends which country you or your driving license are from. Different rules apply to different countries, even different USA or Canadian states, reciprocality etc.
thb.gov.tw/new_english/left-licences.htm

After the initial 3 months using my IDL, I went to the 監理所 (is it called MVO?), filled in a form, handed in some photographs etc. and got the permit to drive with this IDL for another 6 months. The extend this again and again as long as 1) your IDL and ARC are still valid and 2) you can prove that you have left and re-entered Taiwan in the last three months. I am German.

You can use an IDL for as long as you like. There is an obscure rule stating that you must have it stamped by a motor vehicles office after thirty days, but the thirty day rule if quoted literally is meaningless as it does not state clearly when the thirty days commence or whether they refer to the license or driver.

Are color-blind people not allowed to drive in Taiwan? Really? That would be asinine. The locals don’t stop for red lights anyway. :s

Are color-blind people not allowed to drive in Taiwan? Really? That would be asinine. The locals don’t stop for red lights anyway. :s[/quote]

Well, maybe those among us who managed to obtain a local DL could tell us more about the medical test, which I’m pretty sure includes a color-blindness test. Apart from that, I’m not afraid of anything else 因為我的華文程度還不錯。

Are color-blind people not allowed to drive in Taiwan? Really? That would be asinine. The locals don’t stop for red lights anyway. :s[/quote]

Well, maybe those among us who managed to obtain a local DL could tell us more about the medical test, which I’m pretty sure includes a color-blindness test. Apart from that, I’m not afraid of anything else 因為我的華文程度還不錯。[/quote]

Yes, there is a colour blindness test.

Would there by any problems with insurance when using an IDL ?

I believe I’d still need to present my IDL to some local authorities, and in turn would receive a so-called ‘driving permit’.

Is there a rule that you can only use the IDL for a limited period, after which you would need to get a local DL, even if you’ve “renewed” your IDL or that your IDL has yet to expire?

well as for my experience, if u use IDL, after you get the stamp on the transit station then you have a max of 1 year, as someone said that is renewable every time you go out of the country and hen you come back you need a new stamp because on the paper they give you there is a expiry date… or the other limit is the expiry date on the IDL…
as for the color thing test, if u want, come to Hsinchu, the “old guy that doesn’t speak any English” in charged of the test doesn’t even know what color you should say, he will just point 3 things and u say 3 names… even in Spanish if you want… any any other language just to make sure…

Would there by any problems with insurance when using an IDL ?[/quote]

No, as in Taiwan it is the vehicle that is insured, not the driver as in countries like the U.K.

[quote=“omerojs”]
as for the color thing test, if u want, come to Hsinchu, the “old guy that doesn’t speak any English” in charged of the test doesn’t even know what color you should say, he will just point 3 things and u say 3 names… even in Spanish if you want… any any other language just to make sure…[/quote]

Hahahahahahaha !

I will take note of Hsinchu. For the moment I’m Taichung bound.

[quote=“sulavaca”]
No, as in Taiwan it is the vehicle that is insured, not the driver as in countries like the U.K.[/quote]

This is something new to me. I’m not sure about the implications.

If I drive “someone’s” car with my IDL. I hit somebody will my insurance pay if it’s my fault ? Likewise if somebody hit me while I’m driving with IDL, and I’m injured as a result will his insurance pay ?

I had a similar experience to someone above, just make sure the person issuing the health check can’t speak English and then look confused as to what you have to do. I got waved on pretty quickly. I think I entirely missed out on 2 sections of the test, and only just had to do the eye test when I finally remembered my numbers in Chinese. This may not work everywhere, but it’s worth a shot. You don’t have to pay much for it anyway so you can always try elsewhere if they do fail you.

[quote=“mezziahmac”][quote=“sulavaca”]
No, as in Taiwan it is the vehicle that is insured, not the driver as in countries like the U.K.[/quote]

This is something new to me. I’m not sure about the implications.

If I drive “someone’s” car with my IDL. I hit somebody will my insurance pay if it’s my fault ? Likewise if somebody hit me while I’m driving with IDL, and I’m injured as a result will his insurance pay ?[/quote]

You must check the vehicle insurance coverage limitations, but third party insurance should always be at minimum covered.

If an accident is caused by some other road user and you are operating a vehicle in a safe manner and according to the law and traffic regulations, then you should be covered by the other party’s insurance regardless of whether you have insurance or not.

[quote=“sulavaca”][
You must check the vehicle insurance coverage limitations, but third party insurance should always be at minimum covered.
[/quote]

Yes, we return to the starting point once more. What is the trade practice in Taiwan for drivers with only an IDL to show ? How willing are insurers prepared to underwrite the driver with an IDL ? Or a third party being hit by an IDL driver ?