Would working as an English teacher part time get my family and I residency in Taiwan?

So sorry, I should have better researched this, but I couldn’t find a clear answer in the forums. If you remember me, I’m the guy from this thread: Should I move to Taiwan?

Basically, I am wondering in my young son (American passport), wife (Chinese passport) and I (American passport) could get residency if I were to work as an English teacher part time or semi-part time? My situation is that I basically want to continue working at my online endeavours (which net about $5000 USD a month) but setting up a company in Taiwan sounds overly and perhaps needlessly complicated. Is it possible to work 8-10 hours a week as an English teacher while getting some sort of residency for my family given our passports?

Any advice most appreciated! :bow:

1 Like

[quote=“skulls”]So sorry, I should have better researched this, but I couldn’t find a clear answer in the forums. If you remember me, I’m the guy from this thread: Should I move to Taiwan?

Basically, I am wondering in my young son (American passport), wife (Chinese passport) and I (American passport) could get residency if I were to work as an English teacher part time or semi-part time? My situation is that I basically want to continue working at my online endeavours (which net about $5000 USD a month) but setting up a company in Taiwan sounds overly and perhaps needlessly complicated. Is it possible to work 8-10 hours a week as an English teacher while getting some sort of residency for my family given our passports?

Any advice most appreciated! :bow:[/quote]

8-10 hours won’t cut it at the regular rates. Setting up a company will take 1-2 weeks, less than 300USD$ in total and be more stable and less stressful for you and your family.

I think the minimum for residency is 16 hours a week, but I could be wrong. Would be much easier to set up a company as hsinhai78 says above above. There are several topics here, including one on opening a Rep Office, which may help.

I quickly searched for the thread, and couldn’t find it, so maybe I got the wrong name, but there is a very well written step by step guide somewhere here.

1 Like

Guys, his wife is PRC citizen. Isn’t he going to have a lot of trouble/jump through a lot of loops to bring her here? That for starters.

1 Like

That is an issue irrespective of him teaching English or running a company.
I would suggest calling the NIA rather than speculate further. http://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1092844&ctNode=32289&mp=2

1 Like

Thank you guys kindly for the responses. I will look into the channels you suggest. Yes, I’m also worried about the PRC status thing. Not sure how that’s going to play into all of this.

That is an issue irrespective of him teaching English or running a company.
I would suggest calling the NIA rather than speculate further. http://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1092844&ctNode=32289&mp=2[/quote]

Yep, but he has been looking into moving to Taiwan for a while, and regarding his options, that itsy bitsy detail could derail the best of plans.

Good luck anyways. With enough patience, when there is a will…

I would ask the relevant Taiwan govt authorities. The following links do NOT say the spouse can NOT be a PRC citizen:

roc-taiwan.org/ct.asp?xItem= … 613&mp=212

justlanded.com/english/Taiw … cy-permits

I would second the idea of setting up an office. Perhaps a Liaison OFFice of a company set up in the USA would be easier.

Another possibility to remove anxiety. Any chance of the spouse getting US citizenship? I understand China does not require it’s citizens to give up their citizenship when acquiring another anymore.

Whereas before it was the case. I have talked to many people from China here in California and that is what they are telling me.

1 Like

[quote=“tommy525”]Another possibility to remove anxiety. Any chance of the spouse getting US citizenship? I understand China does not require it’s citizens to give up their citizenship when acquiring another anymore.

Whereas before it was the case. I have talked to many people from China here in California and that is what they are telling me.[/quote]

The PRC has never required its citizens to actively give up PRC citizenship when naturalising elsewhere. Naturalising elsewhere has been and still is an expatriating act, i.e. the PRC citizen will upon naturalising in another country be considered to have lost PRC citizenship. According to the interpretation of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress (which in this context takes the role of a constitutional court), PRC citizens who are permanent residents of Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are exempt. Therefore dual nationality Taiwanese, Hong Kong and Macau people are still considered PRC citizens by the PRC.

Whether recent PRC immigrants to the United States inform the PRC authorities of their intent to naturalise in America is a whole different issue.

1 Like

[quote=“hsinhai78”]

The PRC has never required its citizens to actively give up PRC citizenship when naturalising elsewhere. Naturalising elsewhere has been and still is an expatriating act, i.e. the PRC citizen will upon naturalising in another country be considered to have lost PRC citizenship. According to the interpretation of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress (which in this context takes the role of a constitutional court), PRC citizens who are permanent residents of Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are exempt. Therefore dual nationality Taiwanese, Hong Kong and Macau people are still considered PRC citizens by the PRC.

Whether recent PRC immigrants to the United States inform the PRC authorities of their intent to naturalise in America is a whole different issue.[/quote]

Kind of a PRC double speak here. YOu are not required to give up PRC citizenship BUT (the big BUT) if you naturalize into a foreign country you will then be considered as having lost PRC citizenship.

I talk to PRC (or former PRC) people here in the BAy Area who now have US citizenship.

They told me that things have changed. And now it is not required to “give up” PRC citizenship. They can give it up, but it is not required.

The PRC is not alone here. Austria is an example of a Western country doing exactly that.

[quote=“tommy525”] I talk to PRC (or former PRC) people here in the BAy Area who now have US citizenship.

They told me that things have changed. And now it is not required to “give up” PRC citizenship. They can give it up, but it is not required.[/quote]

It has NEVER been required to go to the PRC embassy and apply to give up PRC citizenship. The PRC nationality law has not changed in that regard since its inception. Any Chinese immigrant who claims that now he can de facto hold both PRC and US passports is simply concealing his expatriating act (i.e. naturalising in the United States) from the PRC authorities and can therefore continue to pass of as a Chinese citizen.