Would you do a crap job for 4 years?

Yeah, seems like the cv situation has made your decision for you.
Probably should start trying to get out of those rotating night shifts. Good luck.

CV? Are you referring to resume or virus?

Wuhan cv

No.

I’d do one for much, much longer than that.

No prizes for guessing how I know this.

4 Likes

Would you do a job that you’re bad at, get yelled at by boss every single day, pays barely enough for you to live like a monk, and you work over 70 hours a week?

Question is, do you even have a choice to say no?

If you’re bad at that job, chances are you’re not going to last long there. You always have a choice.

the choice is unemployed or try to be good at a job that you hate and pays little.

I enjoy working at a Taiwanese uni, at least compared to other teaching jobs I’ve done. I finished at 1 today and then played pool for 3 hours.

Is this a job advertisement?

It depends on how lack crappy the ass looks from the ass-side of looking at the crap.

1 Like

It is funny really. Right now, this job is even extra crappy, being on the front lines, dealing with people who have symptoms, and could easily have Covid, with only having PPE on if we already know (due to limits on N-95s) that the person is suspected of being infected.

However, lately I feel grateful for having a job at all, let alone a well paying one with a good pension. Also, I know that if I really want to, I can quit (once this stuff all calms down), which has definitely removed the feeling that I am trapped and don’t really have any choices. It has made me not really hate my job right now; but not that I love it or anything - it is tolerable though. And sometimes, I even get to help people … sometimes.

1 Like

In what field exactly? And how long? I am very curious as to people who managed to tough it out for a pension (or not) and why. A plus with them having ended up in Taiwan.

You always have choices. Go work on an oil rig. Learn to dive and do deep sea commercial diving. Go into debt to learn something that few people know how to do, and then be in demand, and charge accordingly. It requires going outside of comfort boundaries (and sometimes safety boundaries) to get paid well. And, it likely requires you leave where you are living to do it. Often, most people are unwilling to do so. And there are other prices to pay: physical, emotional, psychological, etc… Many well paying jobs are that way because of the costs and demands of the work itself, as well as the needed experience and education. So it all often depends on going outside of your comfort zone to succeed.

“Deadliest Catch” is on season 400 for this reason. If anyone wants to get some perspective on ‘what would you do for money?’, watch a season.

2 Likes

So, I have been back in my regular position for over 2 months and enjoying the work generally. However, my body can’t handle it - my arm is in agony, and I’m off sick until I can see the doctor (tomorrow hopefully), and then we will see from there (back to a desk spot maybe?). Not that I could go anywhere right now with Covid, anyways. It is definitely frustrating, but what can be done really?

Funny enough, part of me is refusing to resign. Why should I give up the 200K+ extra? My poor health is because of this job, and ultimately, I have earned that money, I just need to tough it out at a lame desk job for a few years. Then, off to Taiwan with a 60K NT /month pension.

4 Likes

Sounds good to me. I think you mentioned this desk job alternative/possibility somewhere in the middle. If this is an option, yes definitely, stick it out.

Practicality is the best option in the time of universal recession.

1 Like

I went to the doctor and he said 2 months at the desk, and then re-evaluate. A good start I suppose.

1 Like

I just got transferred to a desk spot that has the potential to be for 4 years. That would let me go right to my anticipated retirement date of May 1, 2024. To top it off, it is a high brain power, interesting spot that will likely challenge me mentally, which hasn’t happened in a long, long time. So although it is “temporary” spot for now, it requires a lot of training, and hopefully I can make myself necessary, and have it turn into a permanent spot. :grinning:

12 Likes

RE your original post, I can’t imagine what kind of position someone with a legal background would be suitable for that matches that description. In fact, this has really piqued my curiousity.

My original position (which the original post is about) is quite a bit different from what I am doing now. I think that if you expand what you think that certain positions do, and the knowledge required to do them, you make be able to figure it out.