Would you go to Taiwan RIGHT now?

your graph cuts off at aug19.

1 Like

I searched for it and this is what I had seen:

What’s special about 60% at 1x jab for opening nightlife? Provides very small protection against delta.

You should see the crazy stuff my aunts send the family LINE group about the virus situation on a daily basis. They never left the countryside and I think they’re typical of the older people here who aren’t well educated. There’s a lot of them.

Basically Taiwanese people aren’t all that different from people anywhere else. Well educated urbanites who have a global perspective aren’t the majority. I do predict Taiwan will have a high vaccination rate once there’s enough supply of vaccine but I don’t think it’s going to be over 90%. From my own family and friends I don’t see how anyone can say vaccine hesitancy is basically non-existent. I see much the same vaccine apathy here among my friends (mostly in their mid to late 20s) as I did in the US too.

2 Likes

lol

There is definitely apathy among the young, but at the same time, they will mostly just get on with it if say their job or university demands it.

Oh you poor poor man… :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

I stand corrected. I’m just going by what I’ve been hearing on the nightly news since I arrived in Oregon in late March. Apparently hospitalizations have doubled, not deaths. The daily death rate just equaled the previous record of 54 set on January 12th.

2 Likes

Yeah its quite interesting, these are hospitalizations in California, which i presume also has high vaccination rates. Wonder why so much disparity?

The protection is very high against hospitalization which is really what matters.

The conspiracies have been going around for awhile but the fear of side effects is not outweighed by the fear of getting covid. Can’t say the same for 40% of America that would rather put their faith in experimental drugs than a free vaccine.

Agreed.

Definitely not the same as the US. People here are doing everything they can to get a vaccine once the pandemic actually hit. The US you can get it wherever you turn, for free and win all sorts of free shit and it’s still at 60%. While Taiwan does have it’s share of misinformation, the US is on another level.

1 Like

That ranking is for total deaths per 1 million. Not new deaths or new cases which wasn’t available in your link. We’re talking about a trend here and the impact of vaccination. The pandemic first hit population centers like New York and New Jersey so of course they’ll show up for total deaths. The sad part is all the southern states catching up.

Looking at new cases where the virus is currently spreading, and we’ve already looked at new deaths in a few examples, you’ll get what I mean by a 2020 electoral map. This where the virus is spreading and people are dying now, not over all time. Vaccination rates are heavily correlated (inversely).

New cases

Hospitalizations

Vaccinations

2 Likes

Your graph show a bottoming out in early July that coincides with a bottoming out here in Oregon. Every Covid factor hit rock bottom in the first few days of July. On June 30th the governor had ended all pandemic restrictions including mask mandates. The combination of “going back to normal” and the onset of Delta set fire to the pandemic again.

Five states broke records for the average number of daily new Covid cases over the weekend as the delta variant strains hospital systems across the U.S. and forces many states to reinstate public health restrictions.

Florida, Louisiana, Hawaii, Oregon and Mississippi all reached new peaks in their seven-day average of new cases per day as of Sunday, according to a CNBC analysis of data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. On a per capita basis, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida are suffering from the three worst outbreaks in the country.

Oregon

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown, a Democrat, is deploying up to 1,500 National Guard members to assist the state’s health systems as Covid hospitalizations set a new record three days in a row, standing at 733 on Friday. The state recorded 1,765 new cases on Friday, bringing its seven-day average to 1,652, according to the most recent data available.

The state reimplemented an indoor mask mandate on Friday for everyone, including fully vaccinated people, in response to the surge in hospitalizations.

But California hospitalizations are not shooting up

Agreed that Louisiana and Mississippi are lagging in vaccination rates, but Florida looks okay. It looks to be roughly on a par with Minnesota:

Florida <18 18.0%, 18-64 70.5%, 65+ 99.9%

Minnesota <18 19.3%, 18-64 70.4%, 65+ 99.9%

Is Minnesota in bad shape? Serious question.

? That seems unlikely to me.

Interesting chart from mayo clinic.

2 Likes

I just copies 'em, I doesn’t investigate 'em. :idunno:

Obviously vaccines are for loo-zaas in Alabama.

2 Likes

There has been a shift towards the question, ‘Would you move to the USA right now?’ and it seems the answer is a strong NO.

I’m double vaccinated. I feel safe to travel anywhere, COVID-wise.

I would travel there no problem.
The problem is coming back to Taiwan . Especially if you are positive…mafan!!!

1 Like

It’s the restrictions that put me off travelling this summer. Two weeks in Greece? Yes please. Jumping through governmental hoops? No thank you.

I rented out a converted donkey barn on a farm here in England and had a back to basics experience instead.

2 Likes

Dueling charts! (mine are for at least one dose)

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

1 Like