Would you like to own your own school?

I am considering financing great children’s English teachers into their own schools.

If you think that’s you, and you have a long-term commitment to Taiwan then I would be prepared to help you own up to 49% of a school.

If you are interested then I can explain my plan to you in more detail by phone or through a personal meeting.

Just pm me with your details and I will contact you.

Sorry but 49% doesn’t it make it my school!

How’s about 51%?

Kenneth

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Sorry but 49% doesn’t it make it my school!

How’s about 51%?

Kenneth[/quote]

That’s what I was thinking.

how about 50% even?

49% is ownership of 49%. It is not a controlling interest, but it is a hopefully profitable interest.

And it is a genuine up front offer. If you are interested just send me a pm. It is a hell of a lot better than Hess is offering.

[quote=“Fox”]49% is ownership of 49%. It is not a controlling interest, but it is a profitable interest.

And it is a genuine up front offer. If you are interested just send me a pm. It is a hell of a lot better than Hess is offering.[/quote]

This isn’t really about what Hess is offering, is it? What you’re doing, actually sounds okay to me. But is it legal. Will the person actually see 49% ownership on paper?

I ask this question as a person who owns 50% of a school–none of it own paper.

It is and it isn’t about what Hess is offering. For the teacher it is, for me it isn’t. It will be on paper. And It will be a sellable asset. I hope some teachers out there are interested.

I have a small but successful school and I would like to repeat that experience, but I can’t because there is only one of me. The only way I can is to find someone of like mind with a love for teaching who is well organized.

[quote=“Fox”]It is and it isn’t about what Hess is offering. For the teacher it is, for me it isn’t. It will be on paper. And It will be a sellable asset. I hope some teachers out there are interested.

I have a small but successful school and I would like to repeat that experience, but I can’t because there is only one of me. The only way I can is to find someone of like mind with a love for teaching who is well organized.[/quote]

I find this idea very interesting Fox. Yet I have a few questions:

Each school will be different, yes? Different teachers, different ideas.
Will the teachers chose the curriculum?
Who chooses the location?
How do you finance the new schools? Ads, supplies, materials, and for how long before the school makes a profit?
Will you train them to teach in a certain way, or let them go about in their own way?
What happens if your invested seems to be going bad? Will you pull out?

Honestly I want to offer long term teachers in my school who demonstrate their ability to get the job done the same kind of deal…albeit more along the lines of profit sharing in new schools.

It’s an intriguing idear. :slight_smile:

[quote=“wipt”][quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Sorry but 49% doesn’t it make it my school!

How’s about 51%?

Kenneth[/quote]

That’s what I was thinking.[/quote]

I believe most people have this thinking. 49% doesn’t make it my school. Who has the control? The person with 51%. No thank you.

[quote=“funkymonkey”][quote=“wipt”][quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Sorry but 49% doesn’t it make it my school!

How’s about 51%?

Kenneth[/quote]

I believe most people have this thinking. 49% doesn’t make it my school. Who has the control? The person with 51%. No thank you.[/quote]

it seems that fox is sincere about his offer. why don’t you ask for more details before saying “no”? i don’ think there is enough information provided to make a judgement yet.

[quote=“Aslan”][quote=“funkymonkey”][quote=“wipt”][quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Sorry but 49% doesn’t it make it my school!

How’s about 51%?

Kenneth[/quote]

I believe most people have this thinking. 49% doesn’t make it my school. Who has the control? The person with 51%. No thank you.[/quote]

it seems that fox is sincere about his offer. why don’t you ask for more details before saying “no”? i don’ think there is enough information provided to make a judgement yet.[/quote]

I consider a sincere offer to be a 50/50 split. Clearly, so do others. In my experience, people who only offer 49% want all of the control. I would think that for most people wanting to start a business, this is a sure sign to run away from this offer. No offence is intended, but anyone who has previously owned a business understands exactly what I am talking about. No control is a terrible thing.

For what it’s worth, I can vouch for Fox’s character - I’ve known him for almost 10 years. He’s a sincere, trust-worthy guy. I would have no hesitation into getting into a business deal with him, as I know he’d keep his end of the bargain.

But maybe my endorsement will hurt him more than it helps! :wink:

[quote=“Maoman”]For what it’s worth, I can vouch for Fox’s character - I’ve known him for almost 10 years. He’s a sincere, trust-worthy guy. I would have no hesitation into getting into a business deal with him, as I know he’d keep his end of the bargain.

But maybe my endorsement will hurt him more than it helps! :wink:[/quote]

Yup. I am running for the hills now. Fox, maybe the mod of this thread can delete Maoman’s post and get you back on track. For what its worth, I think you have a great idea and wish you all the best. If you wanted to replicate your idea but with adults, I would definately be interested in having a sit-down, Maoman’s erm, endorsement aside.

The 49/51 split is the way it works here. Foreigners can only own that 49 percent, and no more.

Or do I stand corrected?

[quote=“Dirt Merchant”]The 49/51 split is the way it works here. Foreigners can only own that 49 percent, and no more.

Or do I stand corrected?[/quote]

A foreigner can own 100% of their own business.

If it were your money I think you’d like a controlling interest. That is simple common sense and proper risk management.

I imagine my take from the schools is ultimately going to be much less than my partners’ but will provide a return on my financial investment. I also have experience franchising and people say I’m a pretty good teacher and it’s a business I know well. I think I have a lot to offer anyone who is interested in this kind of venture. We’re not talking super bucks here probably in the range of 130 to 170K per month and your stake.

The best way to orientate yourself to the idea is to think well I could work at my present school for 70,000 and after years of that I say goodbye to my boss and students and that’s the sum total of it.

Or:

You can do exactly the same job for the most part whilst getting paid your hourly salary and sharing in the profits and then leaving and selling your 49% stake which you have earned through your contribution to the school.

Sounds fair to me.

Fair enough. Then it is also simple common sense to change the title of this thread because it is very misleading. Are you open to the idea of 50/50 ownership if the money was also split 50/50? This may be more of what others are looking for. :idunno:

No, not really.

May I ask why? What is the big difference? It’s only 1%… :wink:

I’ve seen people with profitable businesses stuff them with greed.