Would you subject your cat to a kitty washing machine?

The Kitty Washing Machine.
youtube.com/watch?v=15bwhVxw-Bg

The company claims it reduces pet stress while washing. Maybe for dogs, but cats? Kitty in the video didn’t seem to like it too much. I know I wouldn’t put my cats in it. If you have to clean your cat, what’s wrong with the bathtub?
Anyone else?

I caught a glance of this on the TV “news” last evening. Wife was very confused about what was happening.

I think this person deserves a back-hand slap for doing this.

It was on CNN today too, a Jeanne Moos bit.

It’s actually a cat and dog ‘spa’, or so the company says. It’s been around for a while. Dogs might not mind, but you’d have to have a pretty mellow cat to put up with that. The couple in the video didn’t do the whole wash procedure, which is 20 min! They said they wouldn’t use it again.

I saw it on TV last night as well.

This is a good example of how some expats in Taiwan when speaking as if Taiwanese are somehow worse than the rest of the world w.r.t. animal cruelty. I can just imagine the rage if that machine were a local invention.

The comments are interesting. People either seem to think it is terribly cruel or that it’s the funniest thing in the world.

I’m surprised the company would risk producing that machine. They might get in big trouble. I expect PETA and other groups are already looking into going after them legally for animal cruelty.

Fuckers. Isn’t it nice to be a big man who can lock a small creature in a box and abuse it? Not sure why people find it funny either. Ha, ha, power, domination and desperation. I hope they get sued when someone’s cat has a heartattack and it bankrupts them.

Why in the world would anyone need to wash an animal who is perfectly capable of (and pretty darned good at) keeping him- or herself clean? :loco: I’ve never washed a cat, nor felt the need to. (You know people have an oil in the hair follicles that is quite capable of keeping the hair clean and shiny, right? If you can put up with the uncomfortable and itchy first couple of weeks, it’s plain sailing from there on, and, apparently, gorgeous, healthy hair.)

And if someone tried putting any of my companion animals in that machine, you would see a rapid exchange of places between the non-human animal and the human one. And I’d hold the door shut for the full 20 minutes.

Just watched it. I’ll admit I burst out laughing when it first started – mainly because I had no idea what was about to happen – I’ve seen similar-looking contraptions in petshops here but they’re just for drying the animals. However, you can see clearly within the first few seconds that the cat is in great distress and I stopped laughing almost as quickly as I started. What kind of fucked-up prick would design a thing like that?

You’re blessed with a non-stinky pussy then. Xiaohu has a penchant for finding stinky things and rolling in it. It’s either a bath or permanent indoor life for him. He doesn’t much like getting bathed but he sure would hate to be kept indoors all the time.

sick bastards.

i have washed a cat once, but he was a very long haired Persian with a badly broken jaw and had these amazing tangled dreadlocks. clipped and scrubbed, poor guy. no way would i have put him into a torture chamber.

We wash our long haired cat every so often- and he looks much better after. Maybe it’s cos he’s too lazy to wash himself, or possibly too “chubby”. he’s white too which doesn’t help, anyway we wait for a nice sunny day and then wash him in the tub on the balcony- he doesn’t seem to mind too much- and he looks a whole lot better after. Still he’s the only cat I’ve ever felt the need to wash beyond a defleaing exercise.

I’ve never much believed in washing cats either. Growing up in Canada, we had two Siamese indoor/outdoor cats and never had to wash them. One lived 15 years, the other 23 (no word of a lie).

I’ve got a long-hair and a short-haired cat here. The short-haired one has never been washed. The long-haired one occasionally has toilet troubles and messes himself, but it’s easily dealt with in the tub.

Jeanne Moos mentioned in her CNN bit that PETA was all over this already, not that I have any respect whatsoever for those wackos. I did see another video of the washer machine thing where different dogs were pretty chilled-out inside, getting a wash and shampoo. Do you think it would be okay for dogs?

Oh, I’m not against washing cats per se. My roommate in Florida used to take her cat into the shower with her, and, judging from the lack of scratches on her bod, he didn’t mind it at all; she said he really enjoyed it. And I understand if cats get stinked up it may be necessary.

It’s just that none of the cats in my family ever needed a bath.

It must be their good upbringing. :wink:

Anyway, back to the idiots who designed that machine - clearly the cat is stressed way beyond anything acceptable, and he or she should be cleaned in a more appropriate manner. (To clean up some of our animals, we lightly spray them with baby powder then wipe them down with a baby wet wipe. They come out of it looking, smelling, and feeling lovely and ‘just bathed’, and it doesn’t stress them out any more than being cuddled.)

I’ve seen the drier-type versions of this machine in use, and they too give me cause for concern: How hot must it get in there? How difficult is it to breathe? How stressful is it to be confined in a box of hot streams of air?

Idiots. And I hope the owners of that cat sued.

[quote]To clean up some of our animals, we lightly spray them with baby powder then wipe them down with a baby wet wipe. They come out of it looking, smelling, and feeling lovely and ‘just bathed’, and it doesn’t stress them out any more than being cuddled.)

I’ve seen the drier-type versions of this machine in use, and they too give me cause for concern: How hot must it get in there? How difficult is it to breathe? How stressful is it to be confined in a box of hot streams of air?
[/quote]
We have some cans of non-aerosol mousse from the states for “dry washing” cats. Works pretty well, too.
The dryers don’t look stressful to me – the cats just seem to sit there fairly happily and don’t APPEAR to be in distress.

I saw the video, too, and didn’t think it was funny (well, for the first few moments perhaps). But then this is only one cat - how do we know that other cats will freak out, too? Not saying it won’t happen, but that particular cat may not be representative of all other cats, or other animals (like dogs) that don’t have the problem with the machine.

Why? They may have acted in good faith, and they did stop the washing sequence, saying they won’t be using it again.

It’s a good point you make, but even the cats who I know to like water - in that they will step into it - go crazy when you try to wet them all over. Being immersed or drenched in water is something that most cats, even the big cats, avoid at all costs as though their life depended on it.

If I saw my cat enduring that amount of stress for as long as was shown in that video, the owners had better hope that I sue to make them understand how causing suffering is wrong. That cat thought he or she was going to die. If you want to sell your services as a pet washer, you should research and practice the ways that are most beneficial to the cat or dog and not those ways that are more convenient or showy to your customers, or that take away all the need for skill (because that means you will always have non-professionals in charge of them).

That cat suffered at length; the people who put him or her in there should be punished as a warning to others.

Why? They may have acted in good faith, and they did stop the washing sequence, saying they won’t be using it again.[/quote]

I didn’t have the sound on, so I don’t know what they said, and I don’t know about the faith of the inventors/sellers of the device (aside from a desire to make a profit), but it seems clearly cruel to mass produce a box into which people can insert cats and spray water at them from all directions.

You’re right, it’s possible the inventers/sellers are/were acting completely in good faith. In that case, though, they’re not bastards, they’re just idiots. Whatever.

I was referring to the owners of the cat, not the inventers/sellers. It’s not clear if the inventer ever tried it on cats, but if they didn’t and sold it as usable for cats they are bastard and idiots. If they however did, found it not suitable and still sold it as that, then they are even bigger bastards and idiots.

Oh, go to www.cnn.com and look for “Cat stuck in washing machine is YouTube rage”, it has some commentary and more information about the whole thing rather than just music like the youtube video. There is actually a very brief shot of a different cat that’s calm inside.

i think there may have been a miscommunication? I said I hoped that the cat owners sued the people who owned and operated the machine.

OIC. :slight_smile:

Ummm… :astonished:
:smiling_imp: