Writing a will in Taiwan

Is there any lawyer who you’ve worked with that can help with creating a Taiwan will? I heard it’s almost impossible to go through probate court here. My birth certificate wouldn’t be recognized in Taiwan - I’ve asked already.

I asked a law firm in Taipei and they said they will bill me at 25k NT per hour, and estimated 900k NT to draft a Taiwan will. It seems they’re overcharging a bit? I just need a local lawyer. I feel this should cost maybe 3000 NT at most? Willing to drive down to somewhere like 台東 to find an affordable local lawyer.

That seems insane, both the hourly rate and the anticipated time needed.

7 Likes

Yeah I don’t know what they’re smoking. My living trust in the U.S. cost $500 and that was pretty complicated but a will is much simpler. Maybe because I spoke English and they’re an international firm. I have a local Taiwan company, local accounts, local investment accounts, and local real estate in the future and wanted them on the will.

Dude.

Say @marco sent you

1 Like

I actually emailed him about a week ago but didn’t hear back yet. Let me try again with the intro. Thanks

You know email. Sometimes things get autojunked cause of filter misbehaviour.

1 Like

I just read the relevant law and it seems this might be possible to do myself, with some witnesses:

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawParaDeatil.aspx?pcode=B0000001&bp=125#:~:text=For%20making%20a%20sealed%20will,domicile%20of%20its%20draftsman%3B%20the

“ Article 1190

For making a holograph will, the testator must himself write the whole text, stating the year, month and day and sign it. In case of any insertion, cancellation, erasure or alteration, he must make and sign an additional note stating the place in the text where words have been inserted, erased or altered, and the number of such words.”

I guess that’s always an option if I can’t find something affordable

You just saved 900k NT lmao :joy:

Taipei is like this sometimes… I wanted to buy Braun Series 9 beard trimmer, and I shit you not it goes for $26000 NT here :laughing:

The price in Japan and US is roughly $200 USD.

It would be cheaper for me to fly to Japan, have a short vacation, buy the item and return than to buy it in Taiwan :joy:

6 Likes

probably not 3,000, more around 15K to 20K, but 900K is excessive, do they mostly do corporate business? that could be the reason for the high cost.
wills can be prepared by a public notary, try finding one close to you?

1 Like

It was an international firm with a branch office in Taiwan

In the US there’s a lot of online services / lawyers that will use a template and charge you $20-200 for a will

I’ll try asking notaries and see if they’ve witnessed wills before and maybe get them to witness it

U$ 800.oo/hour & U$ 29K for the final product.That comes to 36+ billable hours to simply prepare a Will. I’d say “overcharging a bit” is a HUGE understatement. I’d be frightened to know what this firm would charge if they had to perform “real” law work.

1 Like

The Celsius bankruptcy lawyers were charging up to 1500 USD a hour per lawyer and it’s all public, there’s many lawyers working on that case. 4 lawyers just to draft some statement. Around 55mil USD in lawyer fees owed. Don’t know who are the ones getting scammed.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Not legal advice about lawyers

Should be able to do yourself and get notarized, no? wills are pretty easy in Taiwan, they even accept verbal wills. the trick is having it fraud proofed. I would expect notarization would be ample.

not legal advice.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Not legal advice about lawyers

I found a local notary to help. They charge based on total assets and the total cost was within budget of what I’d consider reasonable from my original post. They can’t speak English but you can probably use google translate.

For a holograph will they helped me prepare several copies, provided instructions on how to write the will on paper, reviewed it and pointed out where to make fixes (I’m bad at writing Chinese), did a video recording for their records and went through the will, stamped it with their office seal, and provided some legal advice. They also provided advice on Taiwan law, and advised that normally I don’t need to provide holograph will for family beneficiaries, but I said I’d like to do it anyways for peace of mind.

Overall the process took 1 hour of preparation work and ~40 mins in person and they were quite helpful.

You can say jimbob sent you

4 Likes

I plan to live forever :howyoudoin:

Jokes.

1 Like