Wrong birthday year on NHI card?

Hi everyone~

New here. I got my NHI card last month and some weeks ago but just saw it for good today and noticed the birth year is wrong. I asked HR but they’re not super good in English so she wasn’t able to tell me the reason, but she did shake her head like “I tried but there’s nothing to be done about it”

Just wondering if it’s important or if I’ll be unable to use it— my passport and my ARC had the correct date. So I’m hoping they’ll overlook it?

I want to get some tests done here that my doctor back home requested (to take advantage what I’m paying for haha). I’m just worried I may come into problems before I even look for a clinic because of the wrong birthday year.

It’s the year of R.O.C.
add 1911 to that 2- digit number

4 Likes

NHI cards use the 國曆 (Minguo Calendar), so your birthday year is going to look different from your ARC, Passport, but in reality, it has the same meaning

You can check your year here Minguo – Calendar Converter

4 Likes

Ohhhhh!!! Thanks so much. That makes a lot of sense now… I was kinda worried. Both me and the HR didn’t have our phones on hand and couldn’t use the translator when I came up to ask.

I can rest easy, whew

2 Likes

Despite the confusion it causes and most systems using the Gregorian year system, you’ll need to get used to Minguo as well.

Younger people and most apps/websites use Gregorian; people older than 50, most (but not all) government organizations and a few apps I’ve used go by Minguo… So I usually say the full Gregorian year when verbally asked for the year of something just to be sure; for instance 2023 instead of '23, which can be inferred as 2034 in the wrong context, but be prepared to say Minguo 112 just in case they clarify it.

2 Likes