X Men Last stand (?)

This third installation of the X Men comic series is by far the best one. What had me so pissed with the first two was that they (writers/directors) took several important story lines from the Original X men stories and tried to make all work. :fume: Not this time. If you are an old fan of the Original X Men story, and remember The Dark Phoenix Saga, then you’ll probably like this. Halle Berry has more lines and action in this film, but she still isn’t as powerful as the comic Storm. :s Magneto’s gang is annoying as hell with the exception of Soundwave, some new(old) X men additions, Angel and the Beast. The film also leaves it hanging that there could be a fourth one. :idunno: If Ratner signs up to do it again then it will probably be good.

If you’ve also seen that “I’m the Juggernaut” video on Youtube.com there is a reference to it in this movie, which now makes it an official hip :unamused: phase to say.

Were any of the costumes custom made by the Juggernaut?

Definitely good stuff, tons of action, and, as Nama noted, more true to the comics. Very fast moving so I’m not sure how someone who’s unfamiliar will take it, but then again, it is X-Men so it can’t be that hard to follow.

Glad to hear; this excites me. You excite me.

Angel’s story line in the movie was completely pointless. He’s basically got his own B-story in the movie that amounts to about 5 minutes of total screen-time. And what was with them getting us all excited with the sentinal head at the beginning and then not actually giving us sentinals?

Those’re my only complaints, though. The movie was a lot better than I’d been expecting, so I would actually recommend it to people. The end (barely) leaves it open for another trilogy later down the line, which is something they’re apparently considering after the Wolverine and Magneto spin-offs.

Saw it with jdson.

We both happy. And the New X-men movies and Wolverine should kick ash!

Angel could very well get his own movie. IMHO he stole the show.

Best line: “Who’s hiding, dickhead?”

I heard that there was a teaser at the very end of the flic after the credits ran. Don’t leave early!

[quote=“jdsmith”]Saw it with jdson.

We both happy. And the New X-men movies and Wolverine should kick ash!

Angel could very well get his own movie. IMHO he stole the show.

Best line: “Who’s hiding, dickhead?”

I heard that there was a teaser at the very end of the flic after the credits ran. Don’t leave early![/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO a teaser of what? I left early both times. Drats!!! I have to go again :smiley: That wasn’t the best line IMO.

The best one was “Keep it up bitch and I’m gonna spray you in the face” Or “I’m the president. YOu can’t do this.” Shut up Mr.President" :laughing:

Remember that class professor X was giving about ethics? About putting the mind of someone in the body of someone who was brain dead???

Think about it…:slight_smile:

[quote=“jdsmith”]Remember that class professor X was giving about ethics? About putting the mind of someone in the body of someone who was brain dead???

Think about it…:slight_smile:[/quote]

I still don’t get that one. Even when you say it. It’s like right over my head. But I was like what does this have to do with the movie anyway.

As for Angel, I agree that it was pointless to have him in there anyway. What ticks me off :fume: :fume: is that he’s an original member. Why couldn’t they just have made the movies with all the original charcters doing on of the comic books best sagas?

Nama stomps off.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“jdsmith”]Remember that class professor X was giving about ethics? About putting the mind of someone in the body of someone who was brain dead???

Think about it…:slight_smile:[/quote]

I still don’t get that one. Even when you say it. It’s like right over my head. But I was like what does this have to do with the movie anyway.

As for Angel, I agree that it was pointless to have him in there anyway. What ticks me off :fume: :fume: is that he’s an original member. Why couldn’t they just have made the movies with all the original charcters doing on of the comic books best sagas?

Nama stomps off.[/quote]

Ok, your new name is BLACKRAGE :fume:

Angel’s late appearance is most likely because they had too many damn characters, as seen by Halle Berry barely appearing in X1 and X2.

My son, part of the target age group, left the theatre mimicing angel. That tells me about the powerful effect he has. Look for his movie.

As for the ethics class: I wonder of Prof X could do two things at once…like fight off Jean Grey and copy/paste his mind into a blanked out brain?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :smiley:

Hmmm what would my superpowers be? The protector of good universal spelling? And my uniform. The Black Panther look is old. But I still would want an Afro. :smiley:

As for JDson mimicing Angel, I should send him some comic books for christmas. He needs to be brainwashed into liking a better character :raspberry: :smiley:

Lots of action and Shadowcat was kinda hot … that’s about it. All in all a pretty generic superhero movie. Although the movie fufilled it’s promise of an action movie they killed character development and storytelling in this 3rd Xmen movie.

For people who have little or no knowledge of the X-Men is would be a pretty decent action movie, but for me it was a let down. The last two movies one of the main plotlines was about Wolverine’s past, looks like they forgot about it this time around. Then they went and butchered Magneto when he said “Let the pawns go in first” and “What have I done?” For someone who was so pro mutant I felt he would have never done something like that.

Like others have said the Angel storyline is pointless a small sideplot. Another character they pretty much destroyed is Rogue, a frustrated little girl with useless powers who is insecure about her relationship with her boyfriend, it was Smallville X-men style. Psylocke had less than 2 seconds of screentime as well :frowning:

Phoenix/Jean was reasonable well done even though she just stood around for most of the movie looking confused. Beast was well played by Kelsey Grammar and they also toned down the emo’ness of Wolverine.

They pretty much confirmed that there would be a 4th X-Men movie with the final frames of the movie. Since Bolivar Trask was in this one and the teaser in the danger room sequence I hope to God that it would involve Sentinels.

[quote=“Qrap”]

Like others have said the Angel storyline is pointless a small sideplot. Another character they pretty much destroyed is Rogue, a frustrated little girl with useless powers who is insecure about her relationship with her boyfriend, it was Smallville X-men style. Psylocke had less than 2 seconds of screentime as well :frowning:[/quote] Who was psylocke? The chic with sonic boom hands?

[quote]
Phoenix/Jean was reasonable well done even though she just stood around for most of the movie looking confused. Beast was well played by Kelsey Grammar and they also toned down the emo’ness of Wolverine. [/quote] Grammar was great and right about Jean, she should have been more fierce like in the saga. Or just telling Magento to get out of her way…

[quote]
They pretty much confirmed that there would be a 4th X-Men movie with the final frames of the movie. Since Bolivar Trask was in this one and the teaser in the danger room sequence I hope to God that it would involve Sentinels.[/quote] Who is Bolivar Trask?

Wiki profile on Psylocke

I think she was the chick with purple highlights in her hair at the mutant meeting.

Wiki Profile on Trask

As you can see from the Wiki link he was the creator of the Sentinels, giant robots who hunt down mutants. Obviously you don’t see the Sentinels in X3 other than a severed robot head that looks a lot like a Sentinal head.

I’m surprised people liked it. I thought it was unoriginal, cliched fight scenes, and predictable. Like that surprise ending - predictable. So far, I like the second one the best.

The last battle scene and how the bad guys get there - pretty silly.

They also changed some of the superpowers from the comics, especially on the Brotherhood side (the girl with tats and the hedgehog asian). The guy who throws bone darts at Wolverine is also an actual comic mutant, but was created as a woman. That would have been cooler.

IMO, Iman should have been cast as Storm, it fits the African profile, the tall stature, etc.

The Dark Phoenix play was nice, though, again changed as it wasn’t Dark Phoenix the alien, but the repressed mind of jean grey.

I liked Juggernaut, played well by the Brit actor (see him in Lock, Stock, etc.)

Rogue had little or no significance (other than the theme of minorities and the choice to become “normal”), but then again, she doesn’t really become a strong action heroine until she absorbs Carol Danvers’ powers.

Archangel was there as an afterthought to explain the plot.

I did think K. Grammar did a wonderful job as Beast. McKellen and Stewart are fine actors of course.

I think my worst pet peeve was how the brotherhood were depicted as leather, goth, punk, mohawked thugs - terribly unoriginal. We saw that in blade, little matrix, and underworld. Let’s be a little more creative. The point is, mutants hail from every segment of society, and even if they’ve been ostracized, doesn’t mean they revert to some leathery, black outfit.

Some of this is nitpicking, and I’m not a purist and I don’t object to changes, but overall I thought the mythology had been diluted Hollywoodly enough where it started to suck.

[quote=“Jack Burton”]
IMO, Iman should have been cast as Storm, it fits the African profile, the tall stature, etc.[/quote] When I used to read the comic , i always saw her as storm also. And Schawnegger as Colossus.

[quote]Archangel was there as an afterthought to explain the plot.[/quote] He wasn’t this one. You have to tell what scene he was if he was. Archangel always had wings that shot off blades of steel. Didn’t see this one.

[quote]McKellen and Stewart are fine actors of course.[/quote] Yea so good that they could “age” to 20 years ago. LOLOL man that make up artist for this movie dammed good. You see how “smooth” Mckellen’'s face was? I have to get in contact with that person.

[quote]I think my worst pet peeve was how the brotherhood were depicted as leather, goth, punk, mohawked thugs - terribly unoriginal. We saw that in blade, little matrix, and underworld. Let’s be a little more creative. The point is, mutants hail from every segment of society, and even if they’ve been ostracized, doesn’t mean they revert to some leathery, black outfit.[/quote] Much agreed. Little forethought or underestimation of the audience. Or lack of creative thought. Or Producer’s interference. Pick one. I’m betting on MBA producer who’s never done a film in his life, sticks nose in and says “Not snazzy enough” :unamused:

I liked it, mostly for the action (never read the comics), and think that X-Men should end with the 3rd movie. However, I dislike characters dying and being resurrected, once is more than enough; if this happens to be part of the plot for the next one (as implied by the teaser) I am not sure I want to see it.

Don’t forget pre-quels.

That’s how the comics(Xmen) worked. Alot of characters would meet their demise and then some how come back to life because of plot/saga storylines. Ahh the bygone years of my teens. I wish I was still a teen. :smiley:

Namahottie, they digitally removed wrinkles and signs of aging for the opening of the movie. Pretty funky stuff, what they can do now.