Xenophobic Taiwan

Let’s make a collection, post what you find.

ATM in Taiwan

“Precautions for Befriending Foreigners”
Source: Taoyuan County Police Department

“ask your friends about the foreigner’s background before deciding whether to be friends”

“Don’t have sex the first time you meet”

“Pay attention to what they say and do and how much they know about Taiwan so you know why they’re trying to befriend Taiwanese people”

“Unless they have long-term living arrangements, they may leave the country without warning.”

“Notify the police of any conflicts”

The first image has nothing to do with xenophobia.

Classic.
But it would be nice to have links to the quoted external material.

I think people often get xenophobic/paranoid/reality mixed up sometimes. Often times there are real reasons for caution, such as first image. Its not paranoid nor is it xenophobic, simply a warning about a reality that isn’t pleasant. Taiwan has many of these and many times a lot of harsh opinions of Taiwan are based on a mindset that is from somewhere else and doesn’t understand the environment/context these feelings evolved in. I have found probably 80%+ of all “harsh” feelings i had towards Taiwanese disappeared, or at least I gained an acceptance, once i became a little less ignorant about the situation.

Even the lest writing is not so much a fear mongering technique as a knee jerk reaction to some problems probably in which they needed to answer some seemingly bazaar questions for some apparently ignorant people. I only read the English translation, but none of it was rude, just pointing out very obvious facts that may be taken the wrong way simply for being pointed out about a certain group. Taiwan is far less xenophobic that what i used to believe. That is something that changed when I started learning more Chinese, though lots of other problematic realities of the place become obvious with language comprehension as well.

They can be a shy bunch, but break the ice and just try and find the mute button.

You left out a few

3: Try never to accept an invitation to continue hanging out somewhere else.
5: Do not put too much trust in anything they say or any pictures they show you.
Last: Call the police if you have any disputes.

To anyone who would defend this piece of schlock advice: No. Just no.

If you changed this to say: “Don’t trust people” or “Don’t have sex on the first date with anyone” I’d be right behind you giving a thumbs up. But this basically is reinforcing a conception that foreigners do these things more often than Taiwanese people. I highly doubt that.

BTW, searching the Google, I could only find this posted on Apple Daily. I assume they called the Taoyuan police dept and asked “give us some advice on how to keep the foreign invaders off our women.”

I was out with my 3 taiwanese friends last Friday and decided to treat them to dinner. This is the receipt.

At least they got my nationality right. But all black people come from America so that was a no-brainer. :smiley:

That’s seriously messed up. Any practical reason why they’d want to note your nationality?

That place is on Yongkang Street, probably to understand their customer demographics better. It’s a tourist area. Nevertheless this is not something that should affect a customer’s comfort on this island. Then again this is Taiwan and it’s fine to point at “otherness”.

r2bling2, so they never asked your nationality, just assumed you were American? I wonder how many foreigners of East Asian ethnicity get listed as 台 at that place.

Racism and overt bigotry is TOTALLY FINE because there are a lot of friendly people in Taiwan.

Besides, foreigners just don’t understand Chinese culture.

Nothing we can do, live with it, work around it, the good far outweighs the evil, but the nastiness rears its ugly head more often than we realize.

Nah. They never asked. And to note, it was my Taiwanese buddies who got upset about it and called them out on it. I actually found it rather funny.
Their excuse was that they its just “一個笑話而已”

I would be upset.

I’ve been here too long. Anytime someone opts to point out out my 美ness rather than my 黑ness, I count it as a win.
:roflmao:

500,000,000 years of culture mate.. or something like that! how can us lowly foreigners ever understand such a thing.

No, it’s clear to me that YOU don’t understand their culture. This is clearly not a case of racism or bigotry because all taiwanese people are so nice, and therefore, not racist.

Waiguoren are all so judgemental…

My wife is quite tall and big for Taiwanese standards. Not really fat, but large shoulders and a bit of curves so she doesn’t look like the typical skinny Taiwanese girl that is often considered to be the ideal of beauty here.

A coworker at her place was surprised that she had an Atoha husband because apparently most foreigners are into skinny Taiwanese girls, so another coworker said something that could roughly translate as:“Well, foreigners don’t really choose their food, they get whatever is available”.

Basically he insulted both me and my wife in one single sentence -.- I’m looking forward to meet him and his wife to show him how much an Italian appreciates it when someone insults his wife xD

Well, besides the racism and bigotry, they are really intolerant when it comes to overweight/wide people. My wife is tall, and her shoulders and hips are quite wide compared to the typical skinny local girl (and okay, she put on a lot of weight these last two years since we’ve been living in Taiwan). She has to hear mean things regularly, she has to struggle to find her size of clothes in every single store she gets into, trousers are specially difficult (if not impossible).

Her boss told her (in front of the coworkers) she’d better lose some weight and take more care of her looks, or else I (her husband) will surely be shamed to have such an ugly wife.

But that’s not a problem, because as DD says, all taiwanese are such nice people…