Xiao Long Bao that's better than Ding Tai Fung?

Everyone always says there are better Xiao Long Baos than the ones from Ding Tai Fung. I’ve never seen anyone name these places. Where do you think is better?

The one place I really like is Dian Shui Lou

3 Likes

In Taipei City, I’d recommend Suhang (蘇杭點心店). The main branch is near Guting MRT, but I prefer the Minsheng East Road location for its quietly dignified space and delicious food.

Guy

3 Likes

I’ve been to the one in Sogo only. I’m imagine they’re all similar but I really don’t know. Being in a mall kind of detracts from the ambience of the place in my opinion.

When I go to Dian Shui Lou, I do end up getting one or two things steamed (usually Xiao Long Bao), but I like this restaurant for the whole experience. I get many dishes and some beer and it all leaves me satisfied. I especially enjoy the dong po ro wrapped in oval bread that you fold over. I like having them get it all ready and bring the wraps over to the table. Edit: I also really enjoy the shrimp mix that you wrap in fresh lettuce leaves.

But to your question, I don’t think the xiao long bao is better here than at Ding Tai Fung.

3 Likes

We went to Suhang last week and left off all the top twisted portions of the xiaolongbao. They were too thick and doughy since they hadn’t been steamed through.

One thing that is good about Ding Tai Fung is they are very careful in twisting the top portion to make sure that doesn’t happen.

2 Likes

That sucks!

Guting or Minsheng?

Guy

Minsheng. The pork chop and fried rice is not bad, maybe a little greasy. And they have a few interesting soups on offer. As you probably know it is supposed to be Suzhou Hangzhou cuisine, but it isn’t terribly different to most other places in Taiwan that sell dumplings and buns. Oh one thing they have a great crowd pleaser - the deep fried sweet dough. Looks a bit like a portion of a baguette.

Suhang restaurant on Jinan Rd. close to Zhongshan Rd. (not to be confused with @afterspivak’s Suhang). Not just XLB, but great Zhejiang dishes all around.

Urghhh.

On the topic of dumpling trouble, I also noticed the steamed dumplings at Kao Chi went way downhill lately.

I wonder if the lack of tourists in town is leading to some trouble in this industry… : (

Guy

The food there is really good. I leave happy every time.

1 Like

There’s this guy on weekdays that has Xiaolongbaos from a stand on Songjiang Road. Southbound lanes, just south of MRT Songjiang Nanjing Station. They are to die for.

2 Likes

Was this at their Yongkang location? Go to their Zhongshan N. Rd. restaurant (near Nanjing intersection). It’s better than the Yongkang place in every way.

Yes it was at Kao Chi’s Yongkang main branch.

Before it closed, I was a fan of their Fuxing South Road branch.

I’ve been to the Zhongshan branch several times, and found the service to be horrible, so much so that I stopped going. I hope they’ve improved as the staff there drove me nuts.

Guy

The quality of their dumplings is not the only trouble facing Kao Chi. WTF!

Guy

1 Like

this place 老街小籠包 has fried Xiao Long Bao 小籠炸包
but is only open on Weekends and the location is quite far (Hsinchu county-306新竹縣關西鎮中正路85號)

1 Like

Farewell Kao Chi. I hope you can some day return…

Guy

1 Like

Can’t say I’m a big fan of Kao Chi.

The Dian Shui Lou branch at Sogo is one of the worst restaurants I’ve been to in Taiwan. It felt like they were on the verge of going out of business and out of cash. That or the staff are underpaid and working on sales commission. Different staff annoyingly kept coming to our table asking us if we wanted to buy their gift certificates. When we asked about recommendations on what to order, they directed us to the pricy items on the menu and convinced us to order (for 3 people) enough food for 6.

And the food was mediocre.

1 Like

It’s been a couple years since I ate there. That sucks. I didn’t have that experience at all. I don’t like the vibe in a mall though, as I mentioned above.

蘇杭點心店 Minsheng E Road last trading day tomorrow!

F&CK!

Then closed for good? :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy