Xiao Nanmen MRT line

Does anyone know if this [silly little] line is open yet? And, if not, when it might be?

Also, as long as I’m on the subject, does anyone know anything about this line’s history? Why does it exist, and why between those particular stations? Did some big potato own a lot a land near Xiao Nanmen?

As far as I understand it, according to the original plan, the green line would run from Xindian to Ximen station, and the red line would run from Danshui to CKS Hall, and passengers would change from one to the other at CKS hall, which is why it that station is so big and elaborate. Ximen station as well. That’s also why some of the platforms at both stations remain unused. Neither are being used as originally planned.
Because along the way, someone decided to run both lines together into one big line, and the last two stations of the green line were separated into the shuttle from the CKS Hall to Ximen. That’s why, when the Danshui-Xindian line goes through the CKS station, it goes around so many corners and winds around so much -it’s because it is changing tracks.

have you the ‘extended’ network map? I think it is planned for completion by 2010.

It stretches the second shortest line (Chungho) over to Taan Park (Hoping-Hsinsheng-Hsin-Yi) up to cross Chunghsiao and then off towards FuJen University! Now THAT’S a subway line.

Thanks, Poagao and Nokia.

I haven’t seen the extended map. Is it available on-line?

Oh, I saw in today’s Taipei Times that the Xiao Nanmen line will open Wednesday and that the Xinpu - Ximending section opened this morning.

I saw the plan of the extended line in my Chinese road map book (a 7-11 one). It has that line going down Hoping East RD and also a really useful (if it ever gets built) line that starts from that station in NanKang and crosses the river then comes back through Nei Hu and Da Zhi, then back down again to join up with the top of the Mu Zha line (I think).

Bri

quote:
Originally posted by Bu Lai En: ... and also a really useful (if it ever gets built) line that starts from that station in NanKang and crosses the river then comes back through Nei Hu and Da Zhi, then back down again to join up with the top of the Mu Zha line (I think).

Hi, Bri:

I’ve seen the plans for that one. The last I heard about the extension is that discussions were being held to figure out whether the line would be above or below ground. Nari might have persuaded people to go with the former.

There’s also been talk of running a line out to CKS Int’l Airport. But plans like that are only realized in flush times, if ever.

the airport link was stalled by the shenanigans of Ever Fortune, which got the BOT concession to build the line and run it for 30 years before handing it over to the government.

Ever Fortune need to expropriate land along the route of the track. Fair enough. However they also want to develop expropriated land for residential and commercial use. And they plan to build a dozen or so stations along the track too (so much for high speed access to the airport), to service what in some cases are paddy fields but which Ever Fortune sees as future commuter towns.

Cynics suggest Ever Fortune has hit upon a real estate development strategy - government concession to expropriate land which is bound to surge in value - in which airport access is incidental.

EF claims this is the only way the line will be financially viable.

Inevitably, Ever Fortune’s chairman is close to Lee Teng-hui whose administration handed out the concession.

Xiao Nanmen MRT line is real usefull - If you come from Kuting - you can use this to get on something before Taipei Main Station - - and get a seat