Xinbei City?

Heck, with a spelling like that, they could market it as the Taiwanese Vegas…

That came across my mind too. But, I fear there will be an inrush of suicide bombers protesting the infringment of their intellectual property.

I hate it when any polititian alters names for propaganda purpose. A-bien started by naming Civil Blvd. That’s the kind of name that Mao and Hilter love to use. Now this major change of county into city and city into district mess is going to cost a hell lot of tax payer’s money.

True that.

Or how bout Alibaba and the Forty Thieves city? That would be just bout right for all the politicos involved.

p.s. going back to Sinbad City. In chinese it could be quite auspicious

(sorry cant write chinese) but something like Shin = New, Pah = 8 , Dah = Big , Shr = city.

New 8 Big city. Chinese like “new” , like “8”, like “big” and like “city”.

[quote=“tommy525”]True that.

Or how bout Alibaba and the Forty Thieves city? That would be just bout right for all the politicos involved.

p.s. going back to Sinbad City. In Chinese it could be quite auspicious

(sorry cant write chinese) but something like Shin = New, Pah = 8 , Dah = Big , Shr = city.

New 8 Big city. Chinese like “new” , like “8”, like “big” and like “city”.[/quote]
新八大市?
Can’t make any meaning out of it. :ponder:

However, using 新八 might get sued by the President Enterprise, for infringing on their 星巴客 (Starbucks) trademark.

新 (New) is really an awful word for naming a location. After a few decades it will sound ironic. Kind of like calling an 60 years old obasan 小英. Try to be cute? :pray:

Since it is the northern most city, Kobe 靠北市 would be more appropriate. Kobe would also restore the link to formal Japanese colonizers so missed by many Taiwanese.

Cept KOBE is too close in Taiwanese to Cry Daddy. KOW PAY. Which is very TW slang for STFU.

Chances that we won’t end up with “Xinbei” increased today, with the Civil Affairs Bureau backing away from that as its recommendation. The bureau has now sent to the Ministry of the Interior three possible choices: Xinbei City, New Taipei City, and Greater Taipei City. :bluemad:

Works for New York.

Funny to think of the likes of Fushan way out past Wulai as being part of a city. Xin-Greater-New Taipei might suddenly be truly the greenest city on the planet. The only city in the world that’s 80 percent forest. :roflmao:

My colleague votes for Greater Taipei City, as he says that the new addition is an expansion on Taipei City.

I like Xinbei City, but to be honest it’s probably going to end up, along with Keelung, as Greater Taipei in any case, so I suppose there’s no harm in just renaming it that now and getting it over with.

You might want to point out that Greater Taipei will have to include existing Taipei. You might point out to him the … um … actual … er … meaning of the word “greater”? :unamused:
God, I swear, if I even gave so much as a fiddlers fart what the stupid pricks call their administrative regions, I’d be grinding my teeth instead of just chuckling derisively and rolling my eyes at the depths of their utter inanity, their total ineptitude. :laughing:

You’d think they’d consult native speakers on this issue.

Oh yeah, that’s right. This is Taiwanese bureaucracy. :laughing:

You might want to point out that Greater Taipei will have to include existing Taipei. You might point out to him the … um … actual … er … meaning of the word “greater”? :unamused:
God, I swear, if I even gave so much as a fiddlers fart what the stupid pricks call their administrative regions, I’d be grinding my teeth instead of just chuckling derisively and rolling my eyes at the depths of their utter inanity, their total ineptitude. :laughing:[/quote]

:smiley: That issue is not clear to me, either. :blush: I had previously misunderstood that Taipei City and County would become one. Then, maybe, Greater would make sense.

I am thinking about the translation here, though. I’ve used Xinbei City before. We do not use the word “counties”, hence, when we translate administrative regions, it gets “interesting”. :stuck_out_tongue:

God, I swear, if I even gave so much as a fiddlers fart what the stupid pricks call their administrative regions, I’d be grinding my teeth instead of just chuckling derisively and rolling my eyes at the depths of their utter inanity, their total ineptitude. :laughing:[/quote]

:smiley: That issue is not clear to me, either. :blush: I had previously misunderstood that Taipei City and County would become one. Then, maybe, Greater would make sense.

I am thinking about the translation here, though. I’ve used Xinbei City before. We do not use the word “counties”, hence, when we translate administrative regions, it gets “interesting”. :p[/quote]
So how do you translate “hsien?”

I still think they will eventually merge, so perhaps the local governments would save time and money by going with Greater Taipei now.

I am thinking about the translation here, though. I’ve used Xinbei City before. We do not use the word “counties”, hence, when we translate administrative regions, it gets “interesting”. :p[/quote]
So how do you translate “hsien?”[/quote]

Distrito de Taipei. :smiley: Of course.

Agreed. :thumbsup: As previously said, I want the parks and sidewalks and other perks Taipei City has. And since we are going to have to pay for the garbage bags…

Yes, so why not keep the name “Taipei County” 台北縣 until the merger goes ahead? All that money on changing road signs, addresses etc. - only to be changed again in a few years time.

How bout call it NOT TAIPEI CITY ??

They actually are beginning to do so.

Just this week, a committee I sit on reached decisions on changing the official translations of various administrative districts. We agreed on changing the translation of 鎮 and 鄉 from “urban township” and “rural township” to simply “town” and “township”, and of the 3rd-tier 市 (as in the current 新店市) from “city” to “borough.” We also voted for calling 縣長 “county mayors”, so the heads of all counties and cities will in future be called “mayors.”

It’s quite a high-level committee (newly set up last month), and we’ve been told that our decisions are final and not subject to any further review (unless someone in a very high position happens to express an objection). Although the committee has only two foreign members, our views are carefully heeded and generally carry decisive weight.

I’m hoping we’ll be asked to decide on the 新北市 issue at a future meeting, in which case I’ll probably push for the adoption of “Xinbei.”