Xindian community forced to pay 40k for water privileges

It has been on the news recently that a company in mafiosi style bought the property where one of the water pumps to a community up the hills in Xindian, is holding the population hostage forcing them to pay 40k or else no water, affecting also one of the posh private schools in the area. People have resorted to unsightly giant water tanks and delivery trucks but the dispute is ongoing and there is no relief in sight.

Since this area is also very popular with the foreigners -lovely real houses and townhouse complexes they have there- I thought you guys might want a heads up.

Screenshot_20190606-105923_Google

Why was it built on private land in the first place? At least there should be a permanent contract for those pumps.

That’s how it works up in the mountains where the city water doesn’t extend. You have to contract to get your water from where you can. My friend had some neighbor issues and the guy who supplied water to the neighborhood just cut him off, he couldn’t do anything about it despite contacting the city water management.

Looks like there is a very long and complicated legal history based on the article, it appears the community have been legally granted right of use/access however the fee for the use is in question.

48k per month for 1,100 residents plus a school that charges a fortune for tuition…works out to less than the price of a bottle of water per person. If it’s on private land, I don’t see that this is that terrible unless I’m missing something.

No, that’s per residence, at least for the 100-ping residence in the article. It says $480 per ping monthly and a one time $2880 per ping rights fee.

Ehem per ping:
A小姐拿出永柏公司所發出的律師函,上頭清楚地寫著,一期社區住戶每月需支付每坪480元的「公共設施及土地使用費」,還有每坪2880元的權利金。以A小姐家一百坪計算,她家就必須支付28萬8千元的權利金及每月4萬8千元的使用費,才能有自來水可用。

The school´s fee:
康橋得要付出2268萬的權利金,每月還得負擔378萬元的使用費。

Normal usage is 200 NTD where I live.

Appreciated. I was going to insert “I have only skimmed through the articles” in my earlier post but that’s probably apparent now.

Did it mention the old deal they had before this kicked off?

How much are lovely real houses, like the ones in the pictures?

Quite cheap, actually, considering, and some not as old as the ones in Yangmingshan.

I´ll put up a few links when I have the time.

1 Like