Yamaha Majesty, fuel tank needed

My Majesty is about 20 years old, but in excellent state, and I made the mistake of not riding it for 3 years due to public transport more convenient. Now I wanted to start using it again and I found out the fuel tank is crapped out. The guy at the Yamaha store said the tanks are no more produced and not available new.

I want to find it on the internet but kind find any in Taiwan, abroad you get a shitload of hits on used Majesty fuel tanks but I prefer to get it here.

Any suggestions? It’s a Majesty 125 fuel injection, 2004 built.

1 Like

Only by doing a bit of foot work yourself, try having a ride around the local scooter scrap yards (can try phoning too), a lot of the places don’t list the things online. Depending on how helpful they are feeling, one of them may phone around and find one for you (they will put a little mark up on it but nothing too bad).

Footwork is the right word, without any transportation it’s a long walk, 20-30 km

Is it leaking at the corner now…?

Yamaha tanks are designed so the rear corners are lower than the stopcock. This helps reduce the chance of random crap getting picked up. But it also means water collects there and if it sits a long time will rust out there even if the rest of the tank is fine. This is also a problem/risk of junkyard tanks.

Fortunately the fix is easy, just clean and patch and be on your way! :sunglasses:

What’s the tank made of? If steel I’m sure it can be welded shut. I believe there’s also a compound that you apply to the inside of the tank to seal it better.

I’d do it but I’m not sure if I’m comfortable staking my reputation on something like a fuel tank, but there’s a motorcycle shop in danshui that does welding. They might be able to help.

Scooter fuel tanks are normally plastic/ composite and an odd shape to fit under the seat/ behind the firing. The problem is that if it’s degraded in one place it’s normally on its way out in other parts too. You are better taking it off so you can check it throughly before contemplating a repair. “Normally” it’s easier just to get a replacement.

I did a quick search of the part number and nothing is coming up in Taiwan and as you say not even getting copies from china.

1 Like

If it’s plastic or composite, you can repair it by patching with fiberglass and epoxy resins. This is done with boats all the time. The fuel tank can then be properly coated with liners to prevent leaks.

You’ll have to find a competent mechanic who can and will do such repairs. Cost will depend on you. Does it start despite the leaking fuel tank? Are there any other issues? You’ll probably want to empty the fuel tank anyways, any remaining gas will be no good, and likely battery, spark plugs, any belts timing or otherwise likely needs to be looked at.

Vehicles left idle like this for years are going to need a lot of work.

you really want to repair this?

Holes can be patched up with fiberglass and a lot of sanding, but it depends on where the hole is, and if the fix will affect fitment.

If you haven’t started your bike for 3 years a leaking fuel tank might not be your only problem.

That shape don’t look particularly complicated.

The problem is it’s probably crapped up and has still fuel inside. I went to three stores, two I had jobs done before and none of them want to touch it. Too difficult I guess, easier money when you’re a brand dealer and just do the daily odd oil change maintenance, tire replacement.

Oh, they wanted to sell me a new scooter tho.

1 Like

Also its one of them jobs that can keep coming back and end up biting you

I’m ready to spend 10-15K NT$ on it, still cheaper than buy another scooter. They can basically clean out the tank, dismantle the engine and clean/replace other parts if needed.

To me it’s a bit like doing a neck reset on your 2000nt Yamaha guitar. Sorry I’m not lowering the prices because it’s a Yamaha or whatever, especially such work has a nasty habit of coming back needing rework.

I’d honestly just take the mrt and scrap the bike, and if you need a scooter maybe use WeMo? Obviously the 1200 megacity pass is designed to get people to stop riding scooters. That 15knt is like a year of passes.

I like the scooter and I guess WeMo or another rental is not a possibility to ride off nilly willy into the mountains whenever you want.

1 Like