Yesterday I was in a YouBike-Scooter accident and I'm terrified

At the police station?

Edit - replying to Dr. milker on mobile and having a bit of trouble.

Sorry, missed the police station part. This is standard practice to keep cases out of the court system.

Yea iā€™m sure that holds up in court after causing a pedestrians death. In this situation, its the drivers fault. This ainā€™t a deer in the road. Its a pedestrian, on a crossing, with caution lights.

That a pedestrian died doesnā€™t make it automatically your fault.

I know where you were and, technically, you were coming from a legal path for cycling (riverside path) to another legal pathway (the sign on the sideway you were traveling towards clearly says that bikes are permitted). It appears that youā€™ve signed the report that says you were in the crosswalk but if you were just outside of it you would be entirely legal. In either event, the crosswalk and flashing light require scooters to slow down and if he couldnā€™t avoid you, he couldnā€™t have avoided a pedestrian, and assuming the police station is in the area, the police need to know that people accelerate around that corner to beat traffic.

You can just offer the guy 10k to go away and see if he bites. Even if it wasnā€™t your fault, it might be easier to give the guy a few bucks to get rid of the issue. Although from what you wrote it does sound like his fault.

They do what they love, drive like idiots, and make money on the side.

1 Like

Iā€™m meeting a lawyer on Monday afternoon and the guy can negotiate with her directly. I havenā€™t received any ticket, citation, report, or anything stating who is at fault and what the percentage is. If he can bring paperwork showing that Iā€™m 30% at fault or whatever, then Iā€™ll pay him 30% of the damages heā€™s asking for with documentation. Iā€™ve been worried about this for weeks and I feel that itā€™s best just to let the lawyer act as my legal representative when it comes to negotiating the guyā€™s demands.

How did this end up?

1 Like

Yes @Matthew513 what happened? Hope it was good news.

Update us

Sorry for the delays in replying. I spoke with the lawyer who advised me to just settle with the guy to keep it out of court. She advised that if I refused to settle with him that he could press negligence charges, which if prosecuted could lead to spending some time in a Taiwanese jail cell, unless I wanted to pay $1,000NT per day sentenced to keep my freedom. She also advised that if charges were pressed, the police might just take me to immigration and send me out of the country on the middle of a pandemic. So I met with the guy and paid out a decently large sum, though nowhere near the $57,000NT he was asking.

3 Likes

Omgā€¦wow

I would have gotten a second opinion.

3 Likes

thatā€™s seriously messed up.

1 Like

With the Fā€™ked up way the legal system here works you did the right thing. Even if you were found in the right it could still have been a very long process involving you spending lots of time and money replying to and visiting arbitration and/or courts.

I must get around to starting a thread on it ~ my car was broken into in January and a very small sum of money taken, so far the whole thing has cost me at least 2 days off work and a lot of agro, I really regret that I ever reported it. Iā€™m clearly 100% the victim in this one and itā€™s turned out to be a right PITA, your case would have been infinitely worse.

1 Like

I was waiting at a crosswalk when a scooter suddenly crashed in front of me. I think she ran the red light then suddenly braked. The scooter didnā€™t make contact with me, but the rider was shaken up a bit, and seemed to have a few scratches.

I picked up her scooter and pushed it onto the sidewalk. There was a local lady there helping her so I continued walking.

After hearing horror stories about the Taiwanese legal system, Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t stick around.

1 Like