Yesterday I was in a YouBike-Scooter accident and I'm terrified

for me it has nothing to do with them. they don’t get in my way at all. it has everything to do with the cars and scooters who zoom right at me, expecting me to get out of the way. and this is when it says i can cross.

taiwan isn’t most countries. taiwan allows cars to turn on a crossing at the same time people cross, and the cars do not give people priority regardless of the law. back home the light says walk and the cars stop. and i already said why. so i can get across the road faster, at less risk of being hit by a car…

You can still apply Youbike insurance by checking the Youbike website , App or Kiosk

When you visit the Youbike webiste homepage is going to show the following:

Click on the 加保登錄 (Orange )
then you have to login , check your EasyCard number and add your ARC no. , birthday , phone number info

More instructions in the following links

https://ntpc.youbike.com.tw/news/content?5de0a743bae271141b77a1b2

1 Like

I would tend to think that if you crossed the street and did not see a scooter which had to swerve to avoid you, it was your fault, unless there was some obstruction.

at a zebra crossing… with a yellow caution light.

honestly you should be diligently checking the road here everytime you cross. zebra crossing or not. its just too dangerous. but if its a case of both people not checking, the one driving the vehicle absolutely should take the blame. especially at a crossing.

I think that’s debatable. If you’re going too fast, wrong of course. It could be very hard to anticipate someone suddenly moving into your path even at pretty low speeds though. Not ensuring that you have seen any vehicles coming towards you even from a distance at speed is a recipe for disaster.

Was it raining? Dark? Super sunny? Were you a little drunk? What time was it? Were you jammin to a song with headphones?
I dont mean any offense just asking

Overcast day, about three o’clock in the afternoon. Completely sober - the traffic officer did not test either one of us for alcohol as she said she didn’t feel it was necessary. No headphones.

Was the scooter electric? Most scooters sound like riceburners

Thanks for clarifying!
I think i need to change how i ride , this is a scary story for a “no fear of drivers” biker like myself

It was in the news recently they tested a kid when he crashed into a parked car because it is required by law to test after an accident. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

The scooter was not electric. I did not hear the scooter approaching, possibly because of the two cars that I did see and hear passing in front of me when I began to move forward.

I saw that. I’m still not sure why the officer didn’t test. The foreign affairs officer simply said that the traffic officer didn’t smell alcohol and thus didn’t feel the need to test either myself or the scooter driver.

They Tested a little boy , that was one of the wackest things ever.
Rules are rules … haha

Hah, apparently not always. Still confused about the traffic officer’s decision not to test.

well he obviously was going too fast…at a zebra crossing, with a yellow caution light.

if its a pedestrian on bike / foot vs a scooter / car the vehicle is going to win everytime. if the OP died i don’t see so many people siding with the person who was riding the vehicle.

I don’t see how that would change anything about fault.

Even if you’re going quite slowly and exercising caution, someone suddenly appearing in front of you could cause you to swerve. It’s not a red light. But again, if they were going too fast, yeah.

Update, one month later. Still haven’t heard from the police and never was fined for cycling across the zebra crossing. The police officer handling the case contacted my police officer friend and says that the guy is asking for $56k NT and some change. I’m supposed to meet with him next Tuesday for a discussion, but my best friend told me absolutely do not meet him, go meet his (my friend’s) lawyer.

4 Likes

Excellent advice. This is usually code for “you’re going to get strong-armed” or worse.

If you are going slowly and exercising caution, you should be in control. You are making excuses for bad and dangerous driving. If you drive here you should be using a lot of caution already.

Yes it would still be the drivers fault.

You are only supposed to go to official mediation meetings. If both parties do not agree on a resolution during three mediation meetings, the case will be decided by a court.

1 Like

No I’m not. Situations can arise when driving which you have no control over and which can result in accidents which are not of your fault. You have no position here, just a preconceived notion.