Yeye, Ni hui laile! (Grandfather - you've returned!)

This clip is from Lian Zhan’s trip to China. It’s a greeting from the students at Xi’an Elementary.
http://blog.xuite.net/allpass97/share/177408?bid=13366

I don’t usually like venturing into this forum. It ain’t safe in here. However, in my least political way, I’d like to say the kids were really cute. I bet they worked really hard on that greeting.

Definitely, because any who sucked at it would’ve rapidly become orphans.

taiwanus.net/tpe/news/lienahsir-1.wmv

And this clip is from DPP Legislator Cai Qi Fang (蔡启芳)'s press conference. It shows his most intellectual opus yet, a parodic poem against Lian, performed in highly accented Mandarin and in a screeching voice. It includes lines like “All Taiwanese greets Lian Zhan’s mother,” to which he comments this double entendre insult akin to “yo mama” is what “we Taiwanese say.” He also refers to Lian’s slightly chubby son as “super-pig.” This is the same legislator who insulted teachers in a previous incident.

Meanwhile, FTV (民視), the T.I. propaganda T.V. station, overlays cartoon texts to make fun of 10-year-olds.

This is not to mention that, at the same time, while Chen Shuibian arrived in Tuvalu, he was greeted by what must have been half the student population on the island, who were trained (I’m sure by the Taiwan diplomatic personnel there) to greet him in a long performance in stilted Mandarin and Taiwanese that the students hardly understood.

And no, it’s not a “greeting,” it’s a performance of a student-written poem titled “Sunlight, Schoolyard, Childhood.”

And it’s not “grandfather.” As you ought to know by now, children call men who are their grandparents’ age “爺爺”

And no, it’s not a “greeting,” it’s a performance of a student-written poem titled “Sunlight, Schoolyard, Childhood.”[/quote]
It’s a poetic greeting. :raspberry: How’s that? What - you think the message wasn’t directed at Lian Zhan’s historic trip home? Don’t be a shmuck.

And it’s not “grandfather.” As you ought to know by now, children call men who are their grandparents’ age “爺爺”[/quote]
Ni dong yige pi. :wanker: I know very well what the term means and how it’s used. Yeye means paternal grandfather, and it is also a title of respect given to old men by children. Just like Shushu means uncle and is a title of respect for adult men. Jeez. :unamused:

I’m sure that the kids worked hard for this tribute, but the poem is so saccharine and the tone melodramatic…
Listening to them gave me goosebumps. :smiling_imp:

And besides, the whole set-up was parodied very effectively on Quanmin Luanjiang a few days ago, with four grown men alluringly dressed as schoolgirls reciting fawning rubbish in falsetto.

Quanmin Luanjiang is on CTI, which

There was something on the news last night about James Soong begging the school he was going to visit to do a repeat performance for fear of the lampooning it would attract. :laughing:

Yes, and there were letters to the editors saying that the incident pointed up the differences between Taiwan and China…

[quote=“Xiren”]I’m sure that the kids worked hard for this tribute, but the poem is so saccharine and the tone melodramatic…
Listening to them gave me goosebumps. :smiling_imp:[/quote]

I think the kids were cute and worked hard…but the whole exercise was a little much for an old washed up politician who doesn’t hold office. I love the “saccharine” descriptor. Perfect.

[quote=“Toasty”]the whole exercise was a little much for an old washed up politician who doesn’t hold office.[/quote]Therein lies the rub I think. As far as KMT and most CCP cadres are concerned, politicians are never retired or over the hill. There is only death or disgrace. Lien Chan thus far lacks the honour to accept his disgrace, or the nuts to off himself.