Y'know it isn't funny to make fun of ICRT

[quote=“Tyc00n”]ICRT’s target market:

middle to upper middle class 15~25 year old Taiwanese who wants to be a bit more international, probably has or wants to study overseas.[/quote]

according to them:

icrt.com.tw/modules/tinycont … x.php?id=1

On the issue of ICRT not fairly representing us as they claim to do, I agree with Smell the glove, Dangermouse, belgian pie, Eric W. Lier, and ImaniOU (and others like Doctor Evil & Tainan Cowboy as well). Truant (& Smell the glove) are spot on when they say that all these threads need to be merged…LETS DO IT!

But I also agree with Sandman & redwagon when it comes to talk of the effectiveness of a petition.

So that is why I feel that only the only thing that will work is a formal protest with girls, and music/video, and girls and comedy, and girls, and (extremely few) speeches, and girls.

I say this because “face”, (i.e. 尤其是在 Taiwan) is important and does not want to be lost.

“You can’t tell me we can do nothing about it - someone must care - someone?”…I care DM! I was a lie; I married a lie; I hear lies; I eat lies; I breath lies too, (this is not air!)…but I want my reality back! So that is why I am saying that some of these mind-viruses need to be re-framed…to be represented properly!)

PPE 請問你有什麼問題? 會原諒人很重要…你同不同意?

p.s. I was really out of it when I started that new thread…I’m still in my own little world at times.

:laughing: you actually think ICRT is there to serve the expat community!?
Please

Here’s an idea. Why don’t we stage a protest at the upcoming Foreign Teachers’ Association of Taiwan’s First Annual Conference? We could kill two birds with one stone! It beats making a really futile gesture…

Here’s an idea. Why don’t we stage a protest at the upcoming Foreign Teachers’ Association of Taiwan’s First Annual Conference? We could kill two birds with one stone! It beats making a really futile gesture…[/quote]

…No way! I was thinking about having a well-planned peace, love and truth party with girls, and flowers, and girls and music, and…

To me, ICRT is like a child that needs glasses, but doesn’t know it, (call it pride, I guess). However, once the child’s behavior has been repudiated, he/she is welcomed back to the group…Let’s 慢慢來/take it easy. And in all honesty, it’s a real mess over there. Some of them are really doing the best they can do. (And I’m not crashing someone else’s party.)

I think what they need most is a general manager with a plan. I think Janet was their last. (Is there oneone driving the bus?)
Next, they need a PD (that’s programming director) who knows how to crack the whip: “…Hi Ron, (actually, I don’t know where to begin) but you said “um” and “ah” about 10 times last night in the first 2 hours. Dude, you gotta cut that out.”…Really, just like that! On the ball, all the time after those dj’s!

Ron Stu. actually has a lot of heart, and is a nice person, (just too proud to improve). He’s got a “top-40’s” voice (and only Ron at ICRT has this) but needs to be prodded by a well-to-do PD.

Yes, there’s a real void of “well-to-do”-ness at that station, but no shortage of “one-up”-ness. They fight like wet cats in a bag for that morning slot (all except for Ron who doesn’t want it because he’d have to “tone it down”)…I think morale is low because of things like the way Rick Monday got the morning slot.

So it was nice when Kella came along, wasn’t it? Her voice radiates love…She really is like a ray of sunshine…a breath of fresh air! However, I really think she needs to read more, and be a little less Canadian.

I usually wouldn’t get into the whole ICRT bashing thing myself, but I had turned to 100.7 for the first time in months on Sunday arvo and was reminded as to why I don’t bother listening to it.

I don’t know who this dink was, but he had this high-pitched, nerd-like voice and Taiwanese-tinged English (not at all strong, granted, but you can tell)… anyway, he called up Chilis and asked what the soup of the day was, then when the lady told him, he asked if they had his favorite soup: “the cream of some young guy”. No, we don’t have that one. He hangs up laughing.

Okay, so he took the oldest, lamest Chinese/Vietnamese restaurant joke there is and made it even less funny. I mean, he didn’t actually make the lady at Chilis say anything embarassing or make a rude admission of some sort; he’s the one who said he likes some young guy’s cream - so what kind of a prank is that? Would anyone actually find it funny?

are you serious…? jesus.

i like listening to the news at 900pm and have the news reader wrap up the bulletin with “that was the icrt news at 4”… real professional stuff. not to mention the fact that not one DJ seems to know how cross fade in and out of songs… all amateur stuff.

If behavior is repudiated again and again and again and again all to no avail, do you welcome the ogre back to the fold? ICRT doesn’t need glasses: it needs a coffin.

ms, you seem to know a fair bit more about the actual people there than I do. I’ve never met any of them, so I’ll grant that they may indeed be nice people who are full of heart. Unfortunately, most of us can only go by what we hear on the air, and the foreign community is in general agreement that it’s a total joke. To gullible, deluded Taiwanese, however, the DJs are paragons of Western culture (or at least successfully transplanted culture) from whom they can learn English. Do the DJs therefore become legends in their own minds? Most likely. Are they utterly transparent to the foreign community? Most definitely. I just hope they’re not dissonant enough to believe that they’ll actually find support and encouragement from the very foreign community they’ve long ago forsaken. We know what complete and utter bullshit it is – they might hoodwink the locals, but they’re not fooling any of us. Psychologically safer, perhaps, for them to stay with their own delusions of grandeur and not venture too far outside the bubble of local naïveté. I somehow doubt that management harbors any such delusions.

Speaking of delusions, a lot of the kids I’ve known have been cured of ICRT-worship pretty quickly after studying abroad, accessing Internet radio, asking the opinions of actual foreigners, and/or getting an MP3 player and shitcanning radio altogether. If and when satellite radio comes to Taiwan, you can kiss ICRT good-fokkin-bye.

On an added note, I don’t really see how a hardcore general manager or program director or more personnel shuffling (as in “You really aren’t changing? You’re really fired.” and “Welcome to the station, Mr. Chingles”) will help ICRT to live up to its stated mission of serving the foreign community. I’ve given up on the idea that they ever will. Many others have too over the years - check out the tail end of [url=ICRT - is it serving you? thread[/url] from just a little over a year ago. What’s changed?

Here’s another idea. Maybe we could just express our disgust by printing up t-shirts with “ICRT sucks” on them. Or better yet, since they market to locals, “ICRT 超爛” or “ICRT: 最好不要聽” or “外國人很討厭 ICRT” or “ICRT 害你一輩子.” I’d wear one. Maybe with a matching hat.

That bloody Gavin Phipps was on again today. Goddamn that man – all the news was depressing. Why can’t we have some happy smiley news for a change? Why does it always have to be about Lebanon and Chen shui-bian and all that other boring stuff?
I mean to say, Kate Moss might be getting married to Pete Doherty of Babyshambles, while Peaches Geldof shed her thong in Ibiza, and what do we get about it from Gavin? A big fat bollocks, that’s what! What kind of news is that, I ask you?

[quote=“sandman”]That bloody Gavin Phipps was on again today. Goddamn that man – all the news was depressing. Why can’t we have some happy smiley news for a change? Why does it always have to be about Lebanon and Chen shui-bian and all that other boring stuff?
I mean to say, Kate Moss might be getting married to Pete Doherty of Babyshambles, while Peaches Geldof shed her thong in Ibiza, and what do we get about it from Gavin? A big fat bollocks, that’s what! What kind of news is that, I ask you?[/quote]

and thank god they play any babyshambles

It amazes me how so many people that hate ICRT and claim to not listen to it anymore have so much to say about it. :loco:

Really. Who cares? Don’t like? Don’t listen!

(I can imagine really hating it if you worked in an office or something where your TWese coworkers insisted on listening to it. )

Internet radio is where it’s at.

[quote]Really. Who cares? Don’t like? Don’t listen!

(I can imagine really hating it if you worked in an office or something where your TWese coworkers insisted on listening to it. )

Internet radio is where it’s at.[/quote]

:bravo:

Seriously do that many people still listen to the radio? I think a lot of people on here are only happy when they have something to bitch about.

[quote=“ralphy”][quote]Really. Who cares? Don’t like? Don’t listen!

Internet radio is where it’s at.[/quote]

:bravo:

Seriously do that many people still listen to the radio? I think a lot of people on here are only happy when they have something to bitch about.[/quote]

Aw c’mon, ICRT is utter rubbish and really shouldn’t be. It is supposed to be a medium of communication for the foreign community and since it doesn’t even fulfill this simple role, it’s fair game to take a swipe at it. Horrible to see such potential squandered.

HG

Agreed, but why to we have to rehash it every month? It’s like people act like this is their only lifeline to the outside world. It’s a f’n radio station for Christ sakes.

Agreed, but why to we have to rehash it every month? It’s like people act like this is their only lifeline to the outside world. It’s a f’n radio station for Christ sakes.[/quote]

I never understand the point of knocking people who muster up some thoughts about something they don’t like. This, though somewhat mis-directed, is actually 12 pages of feedback for ICRT. They do suck in certain areas, so what’s wrong with us chewing the fat? No-one here is advocating violence, no-one is gonna top themselves over ICRT, people are just saying, ‘It sucks, here’s why I think that, here is how to change it.’ If I critically looked at all my dislikes and said things like: This has been done to death by others, OR, No wait, I am the sad act here and not X. (insert your own thing) I would give up critically analysing things.
Therefore:

1. If you have read threads moaning bout ICRT before and you found them tedious then don’t open this one. I learned not to touch hot things cos I don’t like the pain. I don’t feel the need to thrust my hand into a flame just to remind myself.
  2. What should the expat community do about issues like ICRT? Many of us are Brits, and we get things changed by moaning or criticizing them. Imagine the line from the UK government… ‘Are you moaning about health care AGAIN? God, it’s been like 30 years now people. At least you aren’t living in X (insert worse off places name) where health care is private. Why don’t you lazy people get off your butts and do something? It’s not our job to fix the things we make. We are just the govt.’

Some days now it really seems like I just don’t understand ex-pat culture!

Moaners, keep on moaning! :slight_smile:

[quote=“TomHill”]
I never understand the point of knocking people who muster up some thoughts about something they don’t like. This, though somewhat mis-directed, is actually 12 pages of feedback for ICRT. They do suck in certain areas, so what’s wrong with us chewing the fat? No-one here is advocating violence, no-one is gonna top themselves over ICRT, people are just saying, ‘It sucks, here’s why I think that, here is how to change it.’ [/quote]

I just don’t see a whole lot of suggestions on how to change it. It seems to be a lot of people saying that they never listen to it, and then going on to complain that it “just sucks”. I don’t think the guys at ICRT are getting any creative input on how to fix it.

[quote=“TomHill”]

1. If you have read threads moaning bout ICRT before and you found them tedious then don’t open this one. I learned not to touch hot things cos I don’t like the pain. I don’t feel the need to thrust my hand into a flame just to remind myself.[/quote]

I guess I haven’t learned that yet. I still feel the need to poke my head into the IP forum on occasion :slight_smile:

Well, opening our own radio station would be a start. Thing is, Mr. McNeill, there are no alternatives at all. It would be great to get things changed or start up some competition but this being taiwan, foreigners are very limited in what they can do.

Internet radio is fine, but you can’t take it in the car with you. You can’t walk down the street listening to it and you can’t phone in and discuss things with it.
It would be nice to have a radio station that does what it says it does. But ICRT does not and this is a the major gripe I have with it. ICRT is truly a pathetic waste of airwaves.

I have to put up with ICRT at work. I hate it. It’s crap.

I saw at least these…

1. Dj’s need to be evaluated.
  2. There needs to be a sense of competion for slots amongst DJ.s.
  3. Find better ways to serve the international community (ie by checking out what foreign radio is like in other countries).
  4. Change the silly jingles that aren’t in English.
  5. Hire professional newscasters, not some guy they happened to like when he came in to promote Vauxhall motors one afternoon. (Thats how Gavin got his job isn’t it?)
  6. Don’t say ‘Go watch Liverpool vs Arsenal at the Tavern Premier at 7pm tonight, the final score is 2-1 Liverpool.’ Think professionally.
  7. The same songs are played throughout the day, or the same dj plays the same songs in each show. Emily David is guilty of that little crime. Maybe dj’s should have consistent, individual styles of music. People don’t want to hear Motorheads’ ‘The ace of spades,’ followed by Jolins’ ‘Walk in Milan,’ followed by peanut-headed Usher singing ‘Yeah.’ Who really has that much of an eclectic taste?

Thats a few I picked out but there were many more.

And then there’s offending the gracious cabbie by screaching, “not on your fucking life, pal! Get that shit off. NOW!” when the poor bastard merely wanted to tune the radio to an “English channel” to comfort his foreign guest.

HG