Yoghurt, yogurt -- buying, making

Problem with the EasiYo is the cost, not the taste or the quality.
I bought the greek yogurt and it came out really good, despite making it in my plug-in yogurt maker.
The prices it’s sold for here is about the same as in other parts of the world though, but I’ve only found Jason’s to stock the mixture. I guess you save money on milk, but you can get a lot of milk for NT$200+. They have some other interesting flavours etc which I haven’t tried apart from the vanilla, but I’m happy with plain yogurt and considering I eat about 250ml a day with muesli, doing it from some kind of a starter works out much cheaper for me.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”][quote=“divea”]OK…found the perfect yogurt. Believe me, it fits Indian standards LOL. It costs 30 NTd, found it in RT Mart near the butter/cheese section and it is called Nature yogurt from AUCHUAN. Yipee!! Made myself a batch.

Will edit nd attach fotos later.[/quote]

Hmm… that’s a French import brand, not seen that in the RT Mart in Xindian, but it seems like Taiwan is starting to get a lot more real yogurt rather than those artificial crap things that they call yogurt drinks here.[/quote]
This was yesterday so its pretty new!!

Hmm… not sure that can be used as a starter as it’s fat free, but it also seems to be plain yogurt. You tried to use it as a starter?

Well, I just made my first yogurt, and it’s PERFECT. :smiley:
I used low-fat milk, adding a half cup of milk powder to thicken it a bit, scalded the mix, cooled it to 40C, added 75ml AB Yogurt, covered it and left it atop the hot water heater, where the temp gradually rose, over a couple hours, to 50C. It sat like that for 7 hours, and was firmly set, and slightly sour. Perfect. :discodance:

Yes yes…yes I did. Turned out great!! and then made another pot with the one I previously made.

I like plain yogurt…it gave me a sour yogurt which tasted like home and I let it be for an extra couple of hours to sour it further and made kadhi…which I haven’t had in ages…super duper delicious.

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe.aspx?RecipeId=2091&Header=Searched%20Recipe&MenuId=0

Right, will have to check it out next time I got to RTMart (been a while now).
The flying cow yogurt is on sale in mitsukoshi’s supermarket until the end of this month for NT$29 each and I found that it makes really nice thick creamy yogurt if you use it started and mix it with the hokkaido milk (brown bottles and cartons). I guess this is kinda “fatty” milk, but it makes for really great eating yogurt.

I think fatty milk is best used for yogurt…atleast for the first few cultures and when you finally have a good, solid, and no fail starter, you can skip to low fat.

My problem, is that some times I don’t make yogurt for weeks coz kids have colds and coughs etc. and the weather is damp and dingy and not conducive, and my starters become mold and and I have to reinvent the wheel. Just venting.

Hehehe, well, maybe you can help me with a problem I run into at times, I get these lumps in the yogurt, is that normal?
I don’t actually bother scalding the milk first, maybe this is the problem?
But it always sets in the yogurt maker, although sometimes it doesn’t get as nice as other times, but this seems to be more dependant on the milk than anything else.
I eat yogurt for breakfast with cereal, so I guess I don’t have your problem with not using it up quickly enough.

lumpy yogurt??? never heard of it. Sounds like pockets of bacteria (I can be very wrong though) scalding or at least warming the milk will help bacteria to blend in evenly. I don’t use a yogurt maker but if the instructions call for turning the heat on…then you should do it.

Didn’t get any instructions with it, but the yogurt maker warms the milk up to 40 something degrees.
I’ve just read elsewhere that you should scald the milk first and then leave it to cool down.
I only get very small lumps in it, I’ll try to take a picture at some stage and show you.

hmmmm…I guess you should heat the milk first then.

I scalded mine, and it was really one solid gelled mass, like a firm pudding. I also was sure to mix the starter into the milk well, with a fork which I had flame-sterilized. Maybe you need to mix better, and wait longer?

As for whole fat milk being required for a non-lumpy yogurt, I used low-fat milk, about 1/2 to 2/3 liter, plus 1/2 c. milk powder (adult). It worked fine that way.

But this was just one single first attempt. I’ll be able to report back with more info after a few more tries.

Again, I have never used a store bought culture…its always been a tsp or tbsp of yogurt itself so I dunno the SOP of yogurt makers and starters in a satchet

I haven’t tried the powder for yogurt, only something similar that’s a bit thinner and runnier.
The lumps have nothing to do with the fat content in the milk, I get them randomly and I can’t figure out why, it’s not like they taste anything else than yogurt, just curious as to why I get them. I don’t use milk powder, it’s generally not needed, at least not with the starter I’m using. Maybe it’s just the weather here :smiley:

Are you mixing the culture in thoroughly enough and then leaving it undisturbed for long enough? Don’t shake it when it’s halfway done (from what I’ve read online).

If you shake or move the mixture, it gets watery and yogurt doesn’t set…not lumpy.

Yeah, shake it up real well before I put it in the yogurt maker and then don’t touch it all for 8-12h, then carefully take it out and put it in the fridge. I only then shake it up after it has cooled down.

Finally found the stuff in RTmart. Not very good out of the container, but the batch I made from it came out very nice, rich and creamy, if a little bit bland. Still, cheaper than the flying cow ranch stuff at NT$29 a pop compared to NT$40-45 now.

The stuff I make from an AB (yogurt in cup or in tiny bottle) turns out nice & tasty, creamy, and thick (I do add some powdered milk, which helps), but if I let it go more than 6-8 hours (e.g. 12-14 overnight) it ends up really much too sour. It works fine for tandoori chicken if you then omit the lemon juice from the recipe, though. :smiley:

Well, I left this one for near enough 24h in the yogurt maker, by accident and it still came out good, I expected it to have gone off by then, but alas, it was fine. The flying cow stuff is a bit more tart, but not sour, and imho has a bit more flavour. Tried the AB stuff way back when but never got anything good from that, it was too runny.