Yoghurt, yogurt -- buying, making

You can always hang it in a muslin bag for 20 minutes to thicken it.

Jason’s used to carry a terrific Australian organic yogurt. But I haven’t seen it there in months. :frowning:

Why bother when I get perfect stuff by using different starters? :ponder:

Why bother when I get perfect stuff by using different starters? :ponder:[/quote]

Of course! :slight_smile: I’m just suggesting a remedy to salvage a watery batch in case it happens, that’s all. It’s a common step when thicker yogurt is needed for a recipe, anyway. And adding that milk powder really does help (in my admittedly still limited experience).

Ok, I don’t know what’s gone wrong lately, but all my yoghurt has turned out really thin and runny. It tastes fine, but I can’t seem to get it to set properly. Any ideas? Is it the time of the year, the weather or what? The last two lots I’ve used some expensive greek yoghurt as the starter and although I didn’t expect to end up solid like the stuff I bought (as that was strained), I didn’t expect it to be thin and runny either.

:no-no: Let’s keep the religion and politics in a separate thread and confine this to yogurt.

As for me, we continue to use our easy-yo maker almost every day and are very pleased with it. Every morning I make fruit salad for my two girls and me and I’ll mix in about a cup or so of easy-yo and it tastes great. We buy their Greek flavor, banana, vanilla, boysenberry and strawberry. I’d prefer if they had a little less sugar, and had a plain flavor, but all are good. I had a problem with them coming out too watery, but then I realized that was probably because I was intentionally adding too much water to make a little more, as my wife instructed me; now that I’ve cut back to their recipe they come out just fine. The lady who turned us on to easiyo wonders what the hell we do with all of them, cuz we’ll go through a pack (about a liter of yogurt) every three days or so.

I eat 1l in about two or three days on my own…
Can’t afford the easy-yo stuff though, as it’s over NT$200 a sachet, that’s way more expensive than what I pay per litre, despite using milk and fresh yoghurt rather than something out of a packet.

Still, that doesn’t help me much with my problem…

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]I eat 1l in about two or three days on my own…
Can’t afford the easy-yo stuff though, as it’s over NT$200 a sachet, that’s way more expensive than what I pay per litre, despite using milk and fresh yoghurt rather than something out of a packet.

Still, that doesn’t help me much with my problem…[/quote]
Warm weather should help rather than hurt yogurt setting.

Wellcome and some other stores sell packets of dried starter. They’re not cheap; but one needs to add only a tiny amount, so they can last a long time.

For fresh starter, I’ve usually had good luck with Granny Sara yogurt (Shālā Nǎinai / 莎拉奶奶), which has stores in the Banqiao train station mall and near the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall MRT station (and also in Taizhong).

Anyone see Easiyo packets disappearing from shelves? The last two times I been to Breeze, they still have the Easiyo makers, but have no packets whatsoever. Anyone seen any lately at any of the other major outlets?

Not sure when I saw it, but Jason’s usually stock them. If I remember right it’s on the same shelf as the baking goods.

Haven’t looked for the Easiyo packets lately, but will be doing so soon. Note that I’ve never seen them at the Jason’s at Taipei Main Station (Q-Mall or whatever) - only at the Tianmu and 101 branches.

Re Easiyo: yeah, they’re pricy. Has anyone found a cheaper way (i.e. bulk/ distributor) to buy the stuff?

(I’ve also found it somewhat unreliable: sometimes not setting. It’s definitely time I started figuring out how to make my own; I’ve heard the Easiyo maker, unsurprisingly I suppose, works fairly well.)

I bought a 300 ntd maker online, Green and White, get any 500 cc milk carton, throw in a 1/3 of a bottle of AB yoghurt (20 NTD in any shop), shake vigorously, place in maker and leave incubate 8-12 hours, voila excellent fresh yoghurt everytime! Mine always sets but you need to use enough starter culture to guarantee that.

Hint: if you want it to set well leave it go the 10-12 hours and place in a refrigerator prior to serving, do not shake following initial shake.

Breeze Super sells some superb plain yogurt… the best I’ve had in Taiwan. Pure yogurt, no additives or sugar.

Ok, did everything by the book, still came out runny, what’s going on :cry:

I’d guess the amount of bacteria in your starting culture is not enough, or you don’t have enough sugar/fat in there to grow them to a high concentration.

They had Easiyo packets in the Tianmu Jason’s a few days ago - as usual, however, they didn’t seem to have that deep a selection. I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen banana.

Starting to think it’s the 1.4% fat milk, that doesn’t seem to be good for yoghurt, but it’s all we’ve been able to buy recently.
It still tastes good, it’s just that it’s more like drinking yoghurt than the eating kind.

The bacteria need fat and sugar and protein and diffused air to grow. So sometimes you need to ramp up one of those. Milk powder probably has higher sugar content, wouldn’t be surprised.
Why don’t people buy fresh fruit and mix it with the yoghurt…doesn’t make sense to use artificial stuff if you are going to make yoghurt. I add Taiwan Longan honey, it’s spectacular!

Not adding anything artificial, was just using milk and in the last few cases greek yoghurt as the starter, but alas, it didn’t come out as expected. The weird milk shortage means I haven’t been able to get the milk I normally use, but I can’t remember having had problems like this before.

Have you guys found any good geek yogurt in Taipei? preferably non fat or low fat?