Yogurt variety in Taiwan

That’s my biggest complaint with “american” (includes canadian) supermarkets. Loads of flavored bullshit. We need less of that and more of the real yogurt. Which thankfully is now fairly easily obtained in Taiwan.

Why people complain about loads of options of real raw yogurt is beyond me. It should be celebrated. Those chemical cocktails are kind of nice to be able to avoid in recent years :+1:

My favourite crap yogurt back when I was a kid in Canada was coffee flavored. Sugary and as expected.

1 Like

Ya I’ll say I’m happy enough with the rise in availability of plain yogurt. I can just add fruit myself. Before all you could find was either those gelatin filled yogurts or yogurt esque drinks

2 Likes

Precisely. I am happier than a pig in shit that I can find real yogurt now! And as you say, with taiwans fruit availability, it’s nothing to cut some up for a sweet treat minus the syrup and presevatives nonsense.

I am so happy now that I can cook with yogurt. Not simply use it as a cola alternative :joy:

Even decent milk is available now. As is the fad of making yogurt at home with cheap little gadgets for the counter top. It is indeed a different Taiwan haha. The simple things. Which are actually extremely complicated.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been making yogurt at home lately but I have to admit the store bought stuff is still better than what I can make. Also milk prices continue to make things difficult. Next year, tariff free milk from new Zealand is coming. I’m hoping that’ll drop milk prices considerably

2 Likes

I make around 2kg every week. I use the Greek yogurt from Costco I think is Kirkland. Heat the milk until 170, let it cold down to 110. I use glass jars in a dehydrator and I set at 40 degree Celsius for 7/8 hours. More time for more sour.
When I buy yogurt I freeze some portion to use later. There are okay on de freezer for about 6/8 weeks.

1 Like

Apologies, could you clarify a bit. Sounds interesting what you are doing. But are you saying you are buying yogurt to make yogurt? I am a little confused.

Also interested in your yogurt freezing style, that would be a game changer for us. If you can elaborate :slight_smile:

The Kirkland Greek yogurt is unsweetened and give me good result. I haven’t try to make yogurt with culture started, I think this should be the prefer method. So for now I use one spoon of yogurt for jar (600ml).
I put some yogurt on the freezer to somehow keep it fresh for next time to make yogurt, just a few spoon for each batch.
You could also reuse the homemade yogurt but it will taste bad after a few batches.

But I’m interesting in buying some culture started, if anyone recommend some brands? Do they sell in Taiwan?

Ahh gotcha. Just to confirm, you are using the store bought yogurt for a starter culture to turn new batches of milk into yogurt?

Yep

1 Like

I do something similar: I buy a tub of Matthew’s Choice K+ because I really like the taste and texture, then freeze into portions of 1-2 Tbsp. For each 2L Costco milk, I boil to 88C, cold water bath to cool quickly, then whisk 1-2 Tbsp of the yogurt and hold at 32C for 18-20 hours until it looks firm like tofu dessert (by wiggling the pot a bit). I check and let it go longer if I feel like having more tang in the yogurt.

But now I’m looking to try making vegan yogurt using soy milk. Anyone have suggestions on where to buy good vegan yogurt starter? I want all the good bacteria strains in it. Could I just use the same starter (my Matthew’s Choice K+ yogurt) and then whisk into thick soy milk? (I’m not vegan, so a bit of the original yogurt wouldn’t bother me.)

1 Like