Yogurt variety in Taiwan

America:

Taiwan:

1 Like

Taiwan has many types of yogurt. The problem is that most are in sugary beverage form for some reason.

3 Likes

Yeah… similar with bread. All kinds of varieties, but all the bread should legally be called cake. Take to the news about good oil, but as long as you have good oil, it’s okay to gargle sugar, I suppose :slight_smile:

(it is delicious, though, when in a cake mood!)

3 Likes

You guys clearly were not around in the Bad Old Days! The ease with which I can find a decent sugar free yoghurt now in Taiwan is remarkable.

You want flavours or sugar? Add it yourself (say with jam). That’s certainly easier than asking me to take those things out. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

6 Likes

AB sugarfree is available everywhere and it’s our go-to…

Almond milk-based yogurt and Coconut milk-based yogurt were just getting popular when I left my home country. I quite enjoyed them! Now my choices are just as OP portrayed.

I agree that yoghurt like choices for vegans are limited here.

But structurally that would be something like me asking for soy-free soy milk in North America. It’s not impossible but . . .

Guy

1 Like

All I want is a vanilla yogurt :frowning: the only one I found was 280ntd for four bites at mia c’bon.

I took advantage of vanilla when I was… well, anywhere else in the world. Now, Taiwan just has 0 vanilla anything. Stinky milk soft serve… taro… any flavor but vanilla. But I digress. Everywhere else, there are 100 competitors of vanilla. Here, everyone hates vanilla or something. I spent 300ntd for a single vanilla bean at a Jasons-like store.

1 Like

I used to drink that but found that it had a sweet aftertaste. I think they add sugar to it.

Carrefour has their own brand of non sweetened yogurt that’s not too bad. $99 ntd for 500 g. They have plain, Greek, and so fruit flavored ones.

4 Likes

Yeah, that stuff isn’t bad. Ten years ago the only place to get decent Greek-style yogurt was Costco.

1 Like

No doubt there is better stuff out there, but for the price, convenience, and not too bad taste, it’s worth it.

It does seem as though many of the so-called “plain” yogurts here are often sweet and or have weird after tastes. Taiwanese companies making yogurt has become a mess.

2 Likes

I like the Carrefour plain yogurt. Had some for breakfast topped with honey, blueberries, and kiwi fruit.

2 Likes

I stopped buying big cartons of yogurt after I learnt how to make it myself. I buy a little carton of live and add cold milk. Hot water and time do the rest. But I loathe the texture of zero-fat yogurt and can’t bear how sweet much commercial yogurt is. So I use regular milk. It works but the wife prefers some really sour yogurt. I can’t find the right recipe for that.

3 Likes

I did that for awhile. Starting with a really good yogurt like Matthew’s Choice, I’d add some organic milk, set it out at room temp, and then you have more yogurt. If you use crappy yogurt, you get more crappy yogurt.

2 Likes

If it were only Taiwan, that’d be one thing. Last month in the UK, shopping for yogurt wasn’t a great experience. Too many zero-fat, low-calorie yogurts (fake sugar, not no-sugar) with various thickeners and/or sweetners.

It beats me that a ‘healthy’ yogurt has so much crap in it, while the ‘unhealthy’ yogurt is actually a much less processed food.

2 Likes

You can get them cheaper at baking supply stores

1 Like

Taiwan has quite few small yogurt producers:

Madam Jan’s - Plain Yogurt, Greek Yogurt, Soy Yogurt
https://shopee.tw/madamjan123

Kefir Link - Traditional sugar free kefir made with kefir grains and fresh milk

Skyr - Icelandic yogurt

MoonLab - Specialized in plant based yogurts

A minor annoyance, buying flavored yogurt expecting real fruit only to get jelly instead :rage:

1 Like