You Got the Bacon? Where can I get it?

:loco:

I’m wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction when it comes to processing pork into a damn fine pice of Bacon located in Taiwan?

Whats going on in the Bacon scene over there?

Taiwan Needs more Bacon

Take care

Moogercake

costco will get you great bacon, at a hefty price.

regular hypermarkets sell stuff they call bacon too …

Wellcome sell bacon in a red and yellow striped pack called li4 da4. Look at the back of most bacon here, and you’ll find it has had sugar added. I dry-fry the bacon to remove a lot of the fat and sugar first. You shoud see the amount of junk I pour off. The li4 da4 is okay - but not like a good English bacon.

Most of the stuff here seems to be cured in sugar or something giving it very ‘chinese’ taste, but recently I found some at Wellcome that was ‘normal’. About 80nt for 10 rashers.

Citys Super in the basement of Far Eastern Hotel (Dunhua Sth Rd.)has a “Home” made bacon that doesn’t have too much sugar. Expensive too!

i wonder where carnegies gets its bacon… its pretty nice.

the taixu (台畜) brand is unflavored and decent.

Bloody hell, so much Bacon to consider!

My “Endeared One” finally experienced a moogercake delicacy known to us as a “Traditional Bacon and Egg pie”, naturally she was in a quivering mess at how delicious it was and wondered where she could purchase bacon of an ‘English Style’ in Taiwan when she returns home to replicate the experience for her family ( who are no strangers when it comes to a decent slab of bacon). My Dear one even considered the merits of starting up a boutique “Brinery/Smokery” in The big leaf which I reckon isnt such a bad idea at all… fuck all the Han’s I know here in Melb love the way the merry ol English process a pig.

Sugar and bacon is like a mooncake with thoses bloody “Twin Moons inside them” suger and salt just dont mix INMHO

Thx for the help guys:D

Take care

MC

PS Hey Limey I’m in Aust Melb so if you want some ideas about yr sig let me know, I’m not connected but I may be able to feed you some ideas…muso lover myself who knows Melb pretty in that area, mail at moogerisus@gmail.com

The best bacon here, by far, is sold at local markets. Find the person selling meat and you’ll see it. Completely unflavored and worlds better than anything store bought.

Believe it or not, but TESCO has a fair decent bacon! Not the “Porker” brand, but the one in the green packaging. I’ve resorted to smoking me own, and it’s pretty damn nice!

Want to revive this thread.

Did a bacon search - found Kirkland bacon at Costco. Was good and close to what’s at home, but looking for better, preferably thick cut bacon.

Any specialty shops that anyone knows of that has good, homemade bacon? TIA!

You mean lately?

Carrefour Tianmu has Churchill’s, also usually some in-store brand thing in the deli section near the fish counter, and Swiss Fine Foods in the fridge case near there, not bad in a pinch.

I know there’s some other suppliers of quality stuff, but don’t see any info at the moment.

1 Like

1 Like

A few years ago, Costco had good thick sliced bacon similar to Wright’s.

Now they have an OK version that is frozen Kirkland. You can cure your own but it takes about 2 weeks.

Look up “how to make bacon” on Google. It’s actually pretty easy.

They sell bacon as well as the meat pies and sausages?! I can’t believe I hadn’t noticed that!

Costco Kirkland thin-sliced bacon: I didn’t see it at the Guandu Costco last week. But when something disappears from Costco, who knows if it’ll be back next week, or never. I haven’t seen the thick bacon there in years now.

They have had it, a couple of kinds actually. Not sure if they always do! I like the Carrefour no-brand one actually.

1 Like

Bacon is a evil cult.

1 Like

Follow-up on this: the Churchill’s stand in the Tianmu Carrefour also has imported back bacon from the UK. Really good! Only issue is it comes into the country frozen, so it’s one big block, which means you probably have to eat it all within a week. (Normally I buy bacon and then freeze portions in separate ziplock bags.)

Hm. This website says you can re-freeze thawed bacon. I thought that wasn’t recommended.

In general, just have a look at their stand there. Some good stuff. Meat pies, sausages of course, legs of lamb, very tasty lamb burgers, etc. Fish and chips as well.

1 Like