You know you're addicted to forumosa.com when

1. You click [1] on a topic that looks like this:
    [ Goto page: 1 … 50, 51, 52 ]

2. You actually use “Subscribe” or “Shortcut” functions like these:
    Subscribe: Click here to receive full-text E-mail Alerts
    Shortcut: health.forumosa.com

3. When you get excited by these kinds of posts:
    [Just completed my graduate study on financial engineering and back from USA this Feb. would like to make some friends, learn your opinions about some aspects in Taiwan, and maybe hang out or have some short trips together sometime.]

Maybe this is just me, but the way my thought process works is that when I see something interesting or am thinking of a new idea, I imagine it as a conversation with a friend or my wife. But not anymore. Now I begin to formulate in my head a post I could make on Forumosa :frowning: Actually this is bad for me, becuase I started ‘thinking in Chinese’ when my thougth process was an imagined conversation with my wife, but now I’ve gone back to mostly thinking in English again.

Brian

When you read a fine post from Iamnoiou who writes “… but it’s nice to hear from formosa…sometimes you just need to take a break from reality and sense.”

FInally! Someone understands me!

(I took a long break from reality and sense a long time ago, Iamnoiou, and I’m afraid I can never go back. but this forum helps alot, keeps me “sane.” Sane? Did i say that?)

When you put off writing a message back to an outstanding woman you’ve just met because you’ve just GOT to read someone’s response to what you have written. Only happened once, but I believe it to be a sure sign of addiction.

When the opportunity cost of posting on forumosa is NT$1,500 per hour and you still choose forumosa.

When you have to go to the bathroom but hold off until you’ve read few more posts.

Really, this is a very cool little community. The people who used to piss me off, I like now.

Huge thanks to Gus. He is THE MAN.

Yeah Gus be the man. I would offer him my sister but she’s too hairy.

You know that you are addicted to this forum when you make posts while you are sober.

Hey Tomas, if I remember correctly you have experience of hiring personal assistants. Below is a post I made a while back that didn’t get answered. Thought you might be able to do so?

I’m looking into starting a small business, and if it gets off the ground I will need to hire two or three personal assistants. My business will be run from my house, and will be quite low key if you know what I mean.
Work duties will be pretty light but varied: answering the phone, errands such as banking, shopping and going to the post office, and some very simple translation work (Chinese-English) and typing. They will work 40 hours a week Mon-Fri. I’m thinking of going for male graduates with a good level of English, and I’m expecting to pay them about 27,000 a month (+1 month’s bonus at Chinese New Year).
Does anyone have experience of hiring locals? Are there any pitfalls or tips that you would like to share?

When you’re on Forumosa and you type in an address to leave but you automatically key www.for….

When you spend 1/2 an hour checking all the new posts, then are dissapointed when you go back to the main page and discover there’s been no new posts in the last 30 minutes for you to read.

Brian

When you can quote exactly what was said in topics from at least 6 months ago (maybe longer for some of you!) in the most current topic…

When you can keep up with a topic that lasts for at least 2 months and keep going back for more!

When you log onto the internet and check your PM box here before checking your mailbox on your e-mail account.

By the way, formosa, my name is Imani OU. Not I’m an IOU.

When you go to work EARLY just so you can check for replies on your own time and not the companies time.

Damn…I was just thinking about doing that this morning, and then decided that it wasn’t worth the effort of waking up on time so I came in 15 minutes late. Force of habit, ya know…

wetyterutytwewetttyuerewtyerutrtweruwetytweweruwerutgvweurtwetrtytyyj

Sorry about that. What I was trying to write last night was “when you know your keyboard is broken becasue you spilt beer all over it, but you still try to post”, but I couldn’t because my keyboard was broken because … um, I think I’ll stop there. :blush:

Brian

When you post just because it’s your 200th post…oh yeah :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing::lol: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

When long-term posters start posting under a different name and you figure out who they are from what they write (or at least you think you’ve figured out :blush: )

Iris

…when you tell someone you’re going to add him/her to your ignore list if he/she doesn’t stop bothering you.

…when you meet Forumosa posters in real life and complain that they have been “poorly adapted from the forum”.

[ul][li]When you use Posts since last visit as your browser’s home page. [/li]
[li]When you start looking to post things mainly to push your total toward the 1,000 mark.[/li][/ul]

don’t hold back, iris! Do tell!

Anybody with more than “100 posts” within a year next to their handle probably has some compulsive message board posting problem, and other anti-social tendencies as well. The above posts sound a lot like symptoms of addiction in general, like losing sleep over tit-for-tat posts and procrastinating at your job, love life, etc. because you want to see how people responded to your posts. Maybe some of you find it really difficult to relate to people in person and a message board makes you feel like an important part of some special “community” when you’re handle shows up on almost every topic searched.

Whenever I try to get info on any message forum I get frustrated because I have to wade through all the little inside-jokes and one-upsmanships, inane and/or irrelevent one-line comments people make just to keep their posting count active, not to mention the countless resident wise-guys always trying to come up with punchlines, never offering anything useful. Then there are the attacks on what the forum addicts call “newbies” because they post some question you’ve seen a million times. It’s lame. Nevertheless, I can occassionally get good advice/answers and do my best to give back occassionally. But I always wonder about the people behind the most pervasive handles, especially when it’s like (“user active since 1999”, “5,432 posts”).