You may be a victim of software Counterfeiting

This is the message I have had on my computer for about a month. It also says "This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows validation. I purchased this computer from a second hand shop a few months ago, so I’m not surprised to find out about the software. My computer has been almost useless the last few days. Is it fair to assume this is the reason? Pages don’t load, can’t click on things and some other strange behavior. Anyone experienced this problem?

Sounds like that’s what happened to you. It’s an update with Windows called Windows Genuine Advantage. When I did the latest round of updates from Windows, it installed on my computer.

What version of Windows are you running? It isn’t supposed to kill your computer, only to annoy you into buying a valid (read new, expensive) version of Windows.

Sounds like a virus or a “dirty” computer. I’d suggest running your anti-virus program, defragging the hard drive, cleaning out old files and running Advanced Windows Care.
majorgeeks.com/Advanced_WindowsC … d4991.html

I’d also use Firefox or almost any other browser besides IE.

Actually Lbksig, that won’t slow your computer down. My one machine can’t get downloads either, but it runs fine.

Wipe the machine and reinstall - probably there’s a cracked version of Windows. From the sound of it it’s probably full of malware too.

There is a small patch that you can apply that tells your computer that your Windows is genuine.
Fixes your problem forever.
It’s easily acquirable on your favorite torrent site.
Not that I would ever advocate such deviousness!

[quote=“Josefus”]There is a small patch that you can apply that tells your computer that your Windows is genuine.
Fixes your problem forever.
It’s easily acquirable on your favorite torrent site.
Not that I would ever advocate such deviousness![/quote]
I have been stung three times in Taiwan. First was a brand new laptop from Nova, the dealer had disappeared when MS introduced genuine advantage a few years later. The second was from a foreigner who makes his living selling new computers to foreigners. And when I replaced that computer with one from 3C I insisted on them giving me the original disks etc.

Some time later I had to reinstall, and discovered that although I had the original disks I didn’t have the certificate of authenticity they are supposed to stick to your machine. I didn’t know about that, not having ever needed to know about it before. And of course, nobody at 3C could help me.

Having bought three computers in good faith from legally established companies, but still not owning a fully legal operating system or having any easy recourse, I looked around for help and was directed to try ‘mublinder’. Obviously I would never use such a product, but apparently it does have legitimate applications.

As mentioned, if you want to buy a computer with Windows, MAKE SURE IT HAS THE CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY.

It’ll be a small, rectangular sticker, usually on the bottom or back, and will have the official Windows installation key on it (in case you need to reinstall).

You can ask for original disks, but what you really need is the ORIGINAL INSTALLATION KEY. If you buy a laptop from Dell, Gateway, etc, you will get one of these. If the computer you are buying doesn’t have it, then you are buying at your own risk.

I bought windows from a “gray” market company in the US. It was a legitimate computer company that even sells to the government. They sent me the original disks with the license key.

But no certificate… Apparently they buy huge lots of software under site lic. Divide it up and resell it as OEM. Whatever, I’ve got a receipt, it worked for a number of years and always passes the test.