YOU may soon be able to drink Water on the MRT

Oh I drink water on the trains. Even my kids do, they always have water bottles. I don’t give them food, or juices ever while travelling, but water, I do.

And I have breast fed on the MRT , would that be against the law??? Or they know, that its just milk and no other beverage…but milk is also on the ban list right :doh: Well whatever.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]You are already allowed to drink water on the MRT. I’ve seen it on posters inside the MRT where it says that there is no drinking allowed except for water.[/quote] Well, it’s kind of confusing. The sign says in English there’s no eating, drinking, or smoking allowed, but in Chinese it just prohibits eating and smoking. So if you can only read Chinese, I guess you’re in the clear about the drinking. However, if you can’t read English or Chinese, you just have the pictures to go by. The pictures prohibit eating apples, drinking soft drinks from “go-cups” (such as you might get at McDonald’s or KFC), and smoking cigarettes.

I know what you’re thinking: If I can’t read English or Chinese, can I eat a sixteen-ounce steak dinner and polish it off with a good cigar and a double shot of Jack Daniel? I’d say consult your family lawyer (and your family physician, for those of you who may be on restrictive diets), and use your own discretion.

Maimonides, in contrast, doesn’t prohibit anything on the MRT, but allows as how in the afterlife there’s no eating, drinking, or sexual relations. However, he doesn’t say anything about smoking. So we can at least look forward to that little pleasure.

As to the water: If you see a watering hole, the lions can’t be far away.

I have always thought that water was ok. I have done it. Hell, it’s more than an hour from one end to the other.
I mentioned this to SO daughter and she claims that she was fined “on the spot” 1500 NT for having a sip of water from a bottled water bottle. I just read today in the “Taipei Times” that the MRT organization claims they have NEVER fined anyoneone for drinking on the MRT, even though the doing so is a crime.
First of all, why haven’t you? Especially when it happens so frequently?
My guess is 8 reasons.

1. The officials don’t see it
  2. They don’t really care if they actually see it
  3. Of those that are caught, the official doesn’t understand medical needs of the passengers.
  4. In my friends case, she was forced to pay 1500 NT at that moment from a person who proclaimed to be a rep from the MRT. Does the MRT protect passengers?
  5. Legitimate reps don’t know how to read the law
  6. Those that can read don’t have a clue what the law means
  7. Those that can read and understand, can NOT POSSIBLY apply the law.
  8. The guy that extorted 1500 NT was a actually not a representative of the MRT but a scammer.
    Hell, they claim NOBODY has been fined for “drinking” on the MRT.
    So, is their bookkeeping incompetent?
    Are their records inaccurate?
    Are the official so stupid that they can’t read the records?
    Did my friend get scammed?
    Choices are few and limited.
    Water on the MRT is a fact of life. Get over it.

One hot summer’s day I’d ridden to Xindian and was taking my bike onto the train. The train had just arrived at the platform, but I realized “Crap I really need some water but I’m not technically allowed to drink any for the next hour”. The train driver was watching me as I gestured for my water bottle (and this is when I was still on the platform, not even on the train yet), and he violently shook his head no - I was not allowed to drink water on the platform.

The more fool me for nonverbally asking for permission, but that driver certainly believed that no water could be consumed on even the platform.

But I do sometimes drink water on the train. Somewhat foolishly, I might fake a cough for a few seconds before drinking. Pretend that I really need it.

飲 = to drink
食 = to eat

So yes, the sign does say that drinking, eating and smoking are prohibited.

Oops. :blush: Pai-sei. :notworthy: But I blame Google Translate. :discodance:

[quote=“Enigma”]

1. The officials don’t see it.[/quote]

How often do you actually see an official on the MRT? It’s pretty much an honor rule. It’s there and people abide even though there is little or no enforcement. Who says Taipei hasn’t come a long way? :sunglasses:

If they could just get people to stop clipping their toenails and dumping them on the floor or cutting all their split ends off and leaving them on the seats I’d be happy. Fuck water.

[quote=“citizen k”][quote=“Enigma”]

1. The officials don’t see it.[/quote]

How often do you actually see an official on the MRT? It’s pretty much an honor rule. It’s there and people abide even though there is little or no enforcement. Who says Taipei hasn’t come a long way? :sunglasses:[/quote]Only below ground. Above ground Taipei is still stuck in the 18th Century and shows no willingness to progress.