YOU may soon be able to drink Water on the MRT

Water could be ok to drink at MRT stations and on train cars if lawmaker gets her way:

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … -water.htm

I thought it was already OK to transport CATS in cages, but not dogs? Dogs deserve equal rights.

[quote=“tommy525”]I thought it was already OK to transport CATS in cages, but not dogs? Dogs deserve equal rights.[/quote]The big list of rules posted at every station say:

Water is banned on the MRT?!

I mean I know food and drinks are banned but I thought water was exempt because, well its water.

I’ve been drinking water on the MRT this whole time.

[quote=“Tony the Tiger”]Water is banned on the MRT?!

I mean I know food and drinks are banned but I thought water was exempt because, well its water.

I’ve been drinking water on the MRT this whole time.[/quote]Consumption of water is usually classified as drinking. I can’t see how it isn’t. :unamused:

[quote]In accordance with Article 50 of the Mass Rapid Transit Act, the offender or driver will be subject to a fine over NT$1,500 and below NT$7,500 in any of the following situations.

Smoke, drink, eat, chew gum or betel nuts within the paid area of Taipei Metro premises; spit phlegm or betel nut juice; litter cigarette butts, gum, food waste or other rubbish; [/quote]Also says “no eating and drinking” pretty clearly all over the place.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Tony the Tiger”]Water is banned on the MRT?!

I’ve been drinking water on the MRT this whole time.[/quote]Consumption of water is usually classified as drinking. I can’t see how it isn’t. :unamused:

[quote]In accordance with Article 50 of the Mass Rapid Transit Act, the offender or driver will be subject to a fine over NT$1,500 and below NT$7,500 in any of the following situations.

Smoke, drink, eat, chew gum or betel nuts within the paid area of Taipei Metro premises; spit phlegm or betel nut juice; litter cigarette butts, gum, food waste or other rubbish; [/quote]Also says “no eating and drinking” pretty clearly all over the place.[/quote]

Yep, but I also had the idea -think I read ity somewhere- that water was exempt.

Same with dog bit, I’ve only had trouble in buses, when Toto decides to stick his head out…

Wow, I thought water was the one thing that was allowed. This thread seems to state that too:
viewtopic.php?p=893119#p893119

I usually give my kids water on the MRT if they are coughing or looking like they might need some water. For me, I usually wait until after I get off the MRT to drink water unless I really need it. I figure people would be less likely to challenge me for giving my kids water than they would if I was the one drinking. I’ve never really seen any printed rules regarding water, but I think I remember my wife saying that MRT staff told her once that drinking water was okay.

Also, if water is not allowed, then what about breast feeding? Surely that is also considered “eating” or “drinking” too? And just in case IrishStu wants to chime in here, I wasn’t calling you Shirley. :wink:

Water doesn’t cause a mess, it dries without leaving the seats sticky and doesn’t attract rats. So maybe it allowed. But EYE haven’t seen anything to say it is.

So this person in the OP is campaigning for things that are already allowed? :cactus:

Nope, he’s reporting on legislation supposed to allow for what everyone is doing anyway…

Well maybe the MRT folks have just been turning a blind eye to WATER. But the rules need to be officially changed so that its legal.

So someone doesnt get hit with a big ticket even though its been unofficially allowed. Some mouth breather may decide to enforce the law just cuz he dont like you.

I’ve consumed water from my CamelBak hydration pack on the MRT. Does this make me a Bad Person?

from your what?? I guess not, but it could make you a POORER person :slight_smile:

[quote=“Icon”]Nope, he’s reporting on legislation supposed to allow for what everyone is doing anyway…[/quote]I said the person in the OP, I wasn’t referring to Tommy, but the pillock wanting to change the rules without reading them first.

What about people with hereditary diabetes (runs on both sides of my family; I had it when I was a skinny teenager, it’s not something I brought on myself by gorging on junk food and getting fat)? Some people need to drink water every 10 minutes to avoid dehydration. The insensitive fucks. Besides, water is harmless. It’s not like second-hand smoke. Is there any possible harm in drinking water in public? What could possibly happen? Maybe some idiot will knock into someone and spill water on the floor and someone will slip and break their neck, but how often does that happen? That’s a ridiculous excuse for not allowing people to drink water. Eating food and drinking juice/soft drinks/tea I can understand, since those create messes of crumbs and sugary liquid stains that workers have to clean up, but water?

You are already allowed to drink water on the MRT. I’ve seen it on posters inside the MRT where it says that there is no drinking allowed except for water.

So the legislator in question must need better causes to fight if water is already allowed and dogs (and cats) are already allowed. So wheres the beef? I think better assistants are needed. People who actually know whats up.

Yeah like that’s going to happen :laughing:

tommy525: Comedian?

I’ve never seen that exception.

I’ll look harder next time I’m on the MRT.

I’m not sure about Taipei MRT, but in Kaohsiung the consumption of any liquid-water included-is not allowed. I challenged an MRT official about this rule once (I’m one of those who have to drink water constantly). And the reason he gave me was exactly that: “If you spilled the water someone might slip.”

I still feel very tempted to break this rule every time I’m on the MRT. Perhaps I can pretend that I don’t speak Chinese/Taiwanese when the MRT police approached me?

From today’s paper: Drink ban on MRT remains in place

[quote=“Taipei Times”]Legislators serving on the Transportation Committee yesterday failed to reach agreement on whether MRT passengers should be allowed to drink water while on trains.

Members of the committee instead decided to review the bill at a later date.

The committee was scheduled to review amendments to several articles of the Mass Rapid Transit Act (大眾捷運法) yesterday.

Among them, one amendment proposed by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislators Nancy Chao (趙麗雲) and Chen Ru-fen (鄭汝芬) would allow MRT passengers to drink water on trains…

Vice Minister of Transportation and Communications (MOTC) Chang Chiu-chuen (張邱春) said although MRT passengers are banned from drinking on the train, no one has ever been punished for doing so…

Chang also noted that the MRT might experience problems implementing the proposed amendment because officials would first have to determine whether a drink was just water or a different beverage…[/quote]

Which is true, one could be drinking eau de vie or vodka.