Young boys getting all Nationalistic on me

and people actually worry about these backwards imbeciles ruling the world… :roflmao:

Don’t get too confident. Hitler gave it a pretty good shot, from a similar starting point.

My apologies Divea.

Re. a fight - yes, I’ve been bottled from behind leaving a BBQ stand on the street. As they continued to attack and we backed up (my Ozzie mate and me) I shouted “wo da gei 110”. They ran fast. We did nothing wrong, clearly they thought it was fun, or their boss instructed them to do so.

I hate drawing comparisons, which I did by saying “better people”, but yes, in my travels around the world I find the mainland Chinese (generalised) to be lower on the totem pole of civility, politeness and warmness.

Sorry if that lights your fire, but I stand by my spade, and call it a spade.[/quote]
And yet you’re there for seven years??? Of your free will???

I’m testing myself.

Divs, you’re too bloody nice to too many people.

many people really ARE complete shits.

especially in China, and I’m not just saying that based on Baa Baa’s comments.

[quote=“urodacus”]Divs, you’re too bloody nice to too many people.

many people really ARE complete shits.

especially in China, and I’m not just saying that based on Baa Baa’s comments.[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: Me? Nice??? :laughing: :laughing:

It’s like living in an outhouse and complaining about the stink. The harsh realities of living in a culture that values giving birth to males while also suffering under a “one child” policy will soon become apparent.

There are two separate issues that people are confusing: one, are Chinese civil, and any better worse than any other group in the aggregate; and two, is the government stoking anti-foreigner sentiment?

Anti-Japanese sentiment is continuously stoked through museums, TV shows and movies so it wouldn’t surprise me, and given some of the weird language being used, it seems possible. If one hangs around Chinese enough one hears all manner of rote expressions regarding the economy, politics, pollution, etc. One I hear often is that people in China are worried now about improving their living standard; later they can worry about corruption and pollution and other social ills. The way people express this is almost identical (and often contradicts all the real things you have been discussing with them) so you know it is propaganda spread through the media.

As for how civil Chinese are, I have been back travelling all over since March and have found a great improvement. Cities streets are becoming much more civil places, subways are generally relaxed, and little acts of courtesy and kindness are a daily occurance. I find the younger generation, at least from the middle class, much more well-mannered and soft; more like the Taiwanese really.

But each city and region is different.

I just spent a week there and I agree it differs a lot according to the class of people you meet, the individuals and the geographic areas.
The media though definitely are pushing the ‘wariness of the US in the Pacific’ angle an awful lot.

But the regular Chinese are far more interested in the Euro football championships, many of them stay up all night to see the games! Talk football and it will be hard for them to hate you for long…believe me.

The cities are almost all getting subways or light rail and high speed rail links but the food is still crap in most places and the train stations are jammed to the gills and stressful places compared to Taiwan.