Your experience with racism in Taiwan

Probably something along the lines of bringing shame on their country/ancestors.

But I’m not Taiwanese, so I don’t know.

So basically calling them mainland Chinese? :smiley:

1 Like

Overt acts of racism are rare in Taiwan, but I did get pulled to the side accompanying the wife into a hospital last week and asked to show my National Health card. I asked why, since I wasn’t the one going in for an appointment and was told, “oh it’s because you are a foreigner and we want to check if you have been out of the country recently”.

4 Likes

Or go with something more witty like saying “sorry, you’re not my type” :laughing:

Neither. I’m sure you’ll hear the correct expletive sooner or later.

They should be checking everybody’s NHI card, not just yours.

6 Likes

I’d be ok with that, but then that wouldn’t count as an act of singling me out due to my race and treating me differently and fall under an act of racism.

1 Like

How does the nhi card even help? Does it record immigration?

I don’t know if it always has been this way, but since at least the start of the pandemic, they have been able to see your recent travel history by scanning your card. I think they can do the same by typing your ID or passport number in too. When I went to the hospital in October they typed my passport number into their system and the screen turned green indicating I was safe to enter.

4 Likes

not trying to veer off topic but what is this in reference to?

New Zealand pilot infecting a Taiwanese woman.

1 Like

This, and also a British exchange student bringing in the new UK Covid strain.

3 Likes

She was much angrier about it than me actually. It took a while to calm her down. She screamed at him when he said that, but most of these people are cowards and he just ran off.

Gan ling nia.

(MFKR)

2 Likes

Nice. If you’re going to teach him that phrase, you should at least warn him to be prepared for fisticuffs if he actually uses it. Those are fighting words.

5 Likes

I’ve experienced a few instances of racism here in the past 21 years but it’s nothing compared to the persistent Critical Race Theory inspired racism I experienced living on the West Coast. I never learned to deflect it by going into Uncle Tom mode so what little racism I’ve experienced here doesn’t even count.

3 Likes

I got that shit at the Adventist hospital a few months back. They sent me to a “special” line and my wife to the “normal” line. I’m like “Why am I here and my wife is over there?”
“Sir, we give special treatment to foreigners, so they can easily and quickly get through!” was the stock reply from the jobsworth.
“How do you know she’s not a FOREIGNER? She could be German, Dutch, American, Malaysian, Indonesian. Just because she looks Taiwanese, you send her to the other line?”
“Sorry, I don’t speak English.”
“She’s from Hong Kong!”
Much muttering later “Xiao jie, come here. This line”
Me: That is blatant racism.
The cretin: Sorry, I don’t speak English.

8 Likes

*taiwanese student

Yes, sorry. The Brit was a male in his 70s.

Everything would be much slower if people weren’t allowed to guess ethnicity/nationality.