Your favourite kids TV programmes from the '70s and '80s

Has anyone mentioned the forgettable Pigeon Street, yet?? The only character I can remember was ‘long distance Clara,’ a lorry driver (there’s a joke about her ‘going all the way,’ I’m sure…) And what about Bod? (“Here comes Bod!”). And the Flumps??

The Wombles (v clean and hairy)

Rent-a-ghost!!! - more than a little scary when I was younger…

What was the name of that show with Bill Cosby… “Hey hey hey, it’s Fat Albert!”

And there was this other sitcom about a black family and this really tall guy named JJ. What was his line again?

The Facts of Life

Different Strokes

Solid Gold

Three’s Company

All in the Family

I remember watching a lot of the others I see posted already. Looking back I can’t believe all the hours I wasted sitting in front of the tube.

I grew up in the golden era of children’s television - the advent of Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel, so I got to watch hours of programming just for kids. Of all the times I go into trouble, the only punishment that still stands out in my mind clearly was when my mother sent me to bed before The Muppet Show came on. These are by no means in order of favorites because I liked them all.

The Cosby Show - I swore that I would take Kesha Knight-Pulliam’s place since we were the same age (and unlike her when she started on the show, I could read). Not really children’s programming, but family nonetheless.

Diff’rent Strokes

One Day at a Time

Facts of Life

My Little Ponies - my sister and I would incorporate the plots and quotes into our own play.

Sesame Street - 12345, 678910, 11 12…counting had never been funkier

Square One TV - I loved Mathnet, especially straight-laced Frank Lee “Hello, Frank Lee speaking.” Ha, ha, ha, ha.

He-Man - I loved the reaction I got from my brother when we ripped the arms off his “action figures”. Until he got close enough to hit us. :laughing:

GI Joe - same reason as above.

She-Ra - He-man’s long lost twin sister with similar powers.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Punky Brewster - how could you people have left out such an important icon of the 80’s

Gem - immediately ripped off by “Barbie and the Rockers”

Thunderbirds

Heathcliff

The Muppets Show - Dudley Moore, Ruth Buzzi, Julie Andrews, Harry Belefonte…sigh.

Today’s Special

Belle and Sebastien

The Little Prince

The Shirt Tails (in my 1st grade class picture, I’m wearing a Pammy the Panda shirt)

Fraggle Rock

You Can’t Do That on Television

Dangermouse (Shush, Pinfold.)

Mouseworks

The Wonderful World of Disney

Kids Incorporated

Mr. Wizard (would get up at the crack of dawn to watch)

And since this thread was unfairly aimed at those who were not preschoolers through most of the 80’s and therefore watched kids programming in the 90’s as well (and the 00’s, but that’s our little secret :wink:):

Salute Your Shorts

Clarissa Explains it All

Parker Lewis Can’t Lose

Are You Afraid of the Dark

The Adventures of Pete and Pete

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

Ghost Writer

Welcome Freshman

Roundhouse

Bill Nye the Science Guy

Braxton Hicks, the show you are looking for is Good Times which was pretty good. I remember Janet Jackson who played Penny who was rescued from her abusive mother and had a crush on JJ.

Transformers (before they messed up the continuity following the release of the TF movie)

GI Joe

Thundercats

Crofft Super Show (Especially Bigfoot and Wildboy: “BAAAAAAYAAAAAABAAAAA!”)

Muppet Show (Fave episode: The Empire Strikes Back show with Mark Hammill, Carrie Fisher and Chewbacca)

Voltron (fuck the cars, I’m talkin’ LIONS here!)

Electric Company

Zoom (I even had a shirt!)

Bill Cosby’s Picture Page featuring Lester the magic pen

That funky live-action version of Spider-Man that spliced action scenes from the Japanese version with swingin’ bell-bottom wearing Peter Parker scenes.

Battlestar Galactica

The Star Wars Xmas Special

G-Force

Electric Blue (only when the parents were away, unfortunately…)

The Wide Awake Club with Timmy Mallet (and none other than Mike Myers)- I was on Mallet’s Mallet and I fucking won! I placed the plaster (band aid) over the loser’s mouth and she wasn’t impressed.

Told you I’m a winner!

The show was “Good Times,” and the catch-phrase “Dyna-mite!”

I just remembered those really bad Marvel cartoons from the 1960’s. Most cartoons are what, 24 frames per minute? These were like 1, and I swear they had some guy just photograph panels from the comics and shake them around. And the music! Here’s a sample of the lyrics:

"When Captain America throws his mighty shield
“All those who oppose the forces of good must yield…”

A more recent one… Ren & Stimpy

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Spack”]Would someone with time on their hands tell us all about that classic Captain Pugwash, which included those colorful characters, Seaman Staines and Master Bates? I’m not making this up. :laughing:[/quote]You didn’t make it up, Victor Lewis Smith did, long after the programme finished, and people believed him without checking.
snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.htm[/quote]

:blush: Damn! We’ve been lied to all these years… How disappointing that it was all just a folk myth.

Brick-a-Brak - with the wind up clockwork toys at the end of the program.

Fingermouse

Going Live with Phil Schofield on a saturday morning.

Ren & Stimpy is a freakin’ classic, but it ain’t for kids :wink:

I’ve always thought that someone should put these old sitcoms on DVD and they’d make a fortune. Reading these lists brings back some great memories. I’m not exactly proud of this but I remember a time when I would spend the entire weekend about 3 feet from the TV, and would have my meals there.

Do some Googling and you might be surprised at what’s out there already. Cranky posted a DVD site recently that had pages and pages of old British comedies, etc., on DVD.

butterfly in the sky
i can fly twice as high
just take a look
it’s in a book
a reading rainbow
reading rainbow

:slight_smile:

Reading rainbow… As I got older and watched the show I always had a picture of the host being whipped in Roots. Or being a Blind egg head on Star Trek.

Crappy 80’s TV show for kids or kid at heart.

Bionic Man
Bionic Woman
Wonder Woman (Linda Carter, yum)
The Fall Guy

Pee Wee Herman…hehehehe

There’s talk of the BBC making plans to put some of its massive archive on the Net and allow free access. It would be exceedingly cool if they did.

tvshowsondvd.com

is the best guide I know of. Lot of shows I’d like to see again still not on there though…

Oh yeah! How about

The Shazam / Isis hour

Oh hell yes! One of the greatest cartoons ever! :notworthy:

My old Uni Theatre lecturer was the voice of Zippy. Oooh, maybe that’s one for the Have you ever met a celebrity? thread. :wink:

Brian