Youtube in the classroom

Building up an arsenal of appropriate Youtube clips for the classroom is slow work. Take the teaching of action verbs, or perhaps locations, as an example. I find Mr. Bean is quite good but could do with some more. Does anybody have some fav clips that they find work well in the class environment?

Some more like thishttp://www.classroom20.com/profiles/blogs/649749:BlogPost:177332

Thx in advance

Here are a number of websites that have FREE video-clip based lessons:

Lesson Stream is a highly recommended site. Jamie Keddie is brilliant! I’ve used 4 of them (Elevator Pitch, Kermit’s Invention, Wallet Mystery, and Noisy Collocations) and was pleased with the results. I’m hoping to use a few more this semester.

Claudio Azevedo in Brazil has two sites, Movie Segments to Assess Grammar Goals and Movie Segments for Warm-Ups and Follow-Ups. I haven’t used any of these yet, but they look fantastic.

For some quick (and rather silly) introductions to common idioms, try some of The Teacher videos at BBC/Learning English.

If you are looking for something a bit edgier, Nicholas Whitley has some video lessons that just might get you fired, such as Burgundy Loaf or Guilty Conscience.

Finally, One Stop English offers some suggestions on teaching with video in the article titled Teaching technologies: teaching English using video. Teaching English BBC British Council has a similar article, Online Video for ELT.

…oh, and since you mention Mr. Bean, I’ve found a few lessons based on Mr. Bean episodes

ESL Galaxy has 3 worksheets for Mr. Bean videos.

Alex Case over at TEFL.NET has 11 Mr. Bean Video Worksheets.

You can use any number of music videos when talking about music.

Below are some YouTube videos for kids (I haven’t viewed every last one of these, but they look OK–you might want to view them before showing them).

Here are some YouTube pages containing videos of Peep and the Big Wide World (Wikipedia provides some background):

tinyurl.com/PeepBWW1

tinyurl.com/PeepBWW2

tinyurl.com/PeepBWW3

tinyurl.com/PeepBWW4

I’ve only looked at a couple of Charlie and Lola animations, but they look interesting (again, Wikipedia gives some background). Here are some of them on a page:
tinyurl.com/LolaCharlie

Here are some Weston Woods and/or Scholastic animations based on children’s storybooks:

Tomie dePaola:
Charlie Needs a New Cloak
youtube.com/watch?v=A16Hv6Gx41M
Strega Nona
youtube.com/watch?v=0bQCYw0ehVo

Eric Carle:
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
youtube.com/watch?v=HpISHA8Fs4w
Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me
youtube.com/watch?v=9Oy8u8W0_do
The Very Quiet Cricket
youtube.com/watch?v=daGNjc2OfOk
The Mixed-Up Chameleon
youtube.com/watch?v=FNolRgH7AIU

Steven Kellogg, The Mysterious Tadpole
youtube.com/watch?v=4jTUg370sQk

Tomi Ungerer (these might be a little edgy for kids’ stories):
The Three Robbers
youtube.com/watch?v=0j8AYWIiZ5Y
Moon Man
youtube.com/watch?v=DljyC2r9rNA
The Hat
youtube.com/watch?v=wG9kQH1lcdo
The Beast of Monsieur Racine
youtube.com/watch?v=JHBZb-WlXZE

Gene Zion, Harry, the Dirty Dog
youtube.com/watch?v=wrrgNEGiDbE

Crockett Johnson, Harold and the Purple Crayon (be forewarned if you’re showing this video to kids: the username FeministWhore is situated directly above the video)
youtube.com/watch?v=NzaovPWUb-0

Jenny Wagner and Ron Brooks, John Brown, Rose, and the Midnight Cat
youtube.com/watch?v=l8rOvHJf98I

James Cressey, Fourteen Rats and a Ratcatcher
youtube.com/watch?v=MHOQ-XX1JYw

Pat Hutchins, Rosie’s Walk (Rosie the hen calmly strolls across the yard, around the pond, over the haystack, past the mill, etc., as the not-so-wily fox tries and fails to catch her.) youtube.com/watch?v=pIQDo0n4mLk

A song, apparently by Rose Bonne and Alan Mills, “There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly,” performed in a Weston Woods animation by Simms Taback:
youtube.com/watch?v=altckbVlceM

I think there are also some animated Dr. Seuss books on YouTube, and some other animated storybooks.

just remember sometimes they may show an ad before the clip, or even have some underwear ad on the website.

Yeah, I’ve had those kinds of surprises before, too. :laughing:

I have a problem with people messing with computers in classrooms I have to use before I use them. They will go in and change all the crap on the computer and mess with stuff, so that when I get to class I have to waste time setting it up again. I tell people to either restore it to the way it was, or leave it as it is, but they never listen. Any ideas?

I carry around PortableApps on a thumb drive, and then use that with different classroom computers: it lets me open my own version of OpenOffice and Firefox. It can help with what you’re talking about, although things still get weird: for example, sometimes Flash Player (and Youtube) works, and sometimes it doesn’t, and I really don’t understand why. But it’s the best bet I’ve found with classroom computers, where often permissions are set such that anything you install just disappears the next time the computer’s restarted anyway.

If you get an extension such as FlashGot for Firefox, it lets you easily save the .flv file for a Youtube video. It’ll easily play in any video player. I used to do this kind of thing for a movie class. I’d have a portable version of VLC (I like Media Player Classic better actually) on a USB stick along with whatever video files I wanted to play.

I use “howcast” videos, on youtube or their website- wide variety of topics, introduces lots of idioms and slang, and often they have humor that translates well across cultures.
The speaking tends to be a bit fast though.
What I do is let them watch the vid once, and while they’re watching I listen and write vocab and questions about the video on the board. Then we go over the vocab and questions. Then I play the video again (sometimes 3 times) and point to the questions on the board when the answer is coming. Good conversation starter even if the English is a bit fast.

Here’s to internet in the classroom :thumbsup:

I’ve used howcast to try to teach vocabulary items. I think :ponder: it has helped.

On another note, behold! Bert and Ernie’s Great Adventures!
tinyurl.com/NernieVenture

I have a class that reads Smosh transcripts, and they watch the movie after a first read-through. We spend some classes looking up the words that we don’t know. Then they answer a ton of questions that they, themselves, construct, about the show that they just watched. I cover all of the major interrogative forms, which makes for about twenty questions. It takes about two or three weeks to complete one four-minute episode, but it seems like they like it.

It’s easier to know whether they’ve understood the transcripts. They laugh at the program more.

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]I’ve used howcast to try to teach vocabulary items. I think :ponder: it has helped.

tinyurl.com/NernieVenture[/quote]

Maybe you could use some Wallace and Gromit stuff too :slight_smile: !

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”][quote=“Charlie Jack”]I’ve used howcast to try to teach vocabulary items. I think :ponder: it has helped.

tinyurl.com/NernieVenture[/quote]

Maybe you could use some Wallace and Gromit stuff too :slight_smile: ![/quote]

I’d forgotten about Wallace and Gromit. Several years ago, I looked for them and couldn’t find much, so I gave up on it. I’ll check again; thanks for the tip!

Edit: OK, I found Wallace and Gromit’s Grand Adventures. Good stuff! Thanks!

Don’t use those.

USE REALPLAYER!!!

What? when you right click on a youtube video it won’t let you “download in realplayer”???

Just copy the url…open up realplayer, go to file…open, paste in the URl, download it there and SHAZZZAMMMMM, you got yourself a file playable in vlc, bs player and others.

ANNNND you can “cut” the clip…so if you have any of those ads…or even just a small segment that is inappropriate, you can erase it from the file.