YoYo Card reader slant or flat, what say you?

Seems Taiwanese love to complain bout everything. Some convenience stores are tired of customers leaving their YOYO cards behind after making a purchase, so they gave the machines a slant so customers have to hold onto their cards or they drop to the floor. Thus ending the problem of customers leaving their YOYO cards behind after making a purchase. And the trouble of identifying which card belongs to who?

But customers are complaining they have to hold onto their cards :slight_smile:

Should stores go back to flat card readers and risk customers leaving cards behind or stay with the slanted ones and solve that problem but provoking the ire of some ?

I say keep the slanted cards. Make them hold onto their cards.

In an Electronic Empire where rice cookers play tunes, they simply having overseen incorporating an alarm reminding the customer taking back the card.
How difficult would it be incorporating a beep-beep which activates 2 seconds after purchase. (Or ā€œthank you - please remove your cardā€ tune)
Guess the yoyo-card reader manufacturer needed some new business.

[quote=ā€œceevee369ā€]In an Electronic Empire where rice cookers play tunes, they simply having overseen incorporating an alarm reminding the customer taking back the card.
How difficult would it be incorporating a beep-beep which activates 2 seconds after purchase. (Or ā€œthank you - please remove your cardā€ tune)
Guess the yoyo-card reader manufacturer needed some new business.[/quote]

yes indeed, a new ā€œslantā€ to the business , a new ā€œangleā€ :smiley:

They should have a chip implanted in their foreheads, then when they want to pay for something they have to rub their foreheads against a screen. THEN they will wish for the old slanted card readers. :smiley:

Is it that hard for them to make a machine that starts to beep the second the transaction is finished, or to have the cashier say once the transaction is completed, ā€œYou may take your card now?ā€ like in the rest of the world?

1 Like

Weird, I use my watch/Yoyo card all the time and they always tell me when to put my arm on the reader and when to take it away. And that is certainly not something I will forget, I mean, I am wearing the watch, duh! I really cannot see how people keep on forgetting their cards, if they use them on the MRT daily, why donā€™t we see Yoyo cards thrown about the entrance stalls?

You DO see them around the MRT stations. I have four of the green student ones. One had NT$4,000 on it.

:doh: Itā€™s hopeless then.

Are these cards in no way linked to a person? People just blindly stick money on a bit of plastic and then leave them lying about? The Oyster card in London is something you have to swipe. People seem happy enough with that. Plus they are linked to you by your name. Is there nowhere in the MRT station to hand these cards in Sandman? :laughing:

Its not linked. HOlder holds the value on the card.

Well that is daft right there. How hard would it be to make a website where you can/must register your card so that you can then cancel it later on if you lose it? What is the incentive to have the card in the first place? Do you get discounts or are you collecting points, like some bees collecting nectar?

Are these cards in no way linked to a person? People just blindly stick money on a bit of plastic and then leave them lying about? The Oyster card in London is something you have to swipe. People seem happy enough with that. Plus they are linked to you by your name. Is there nowhere in the MRT station to hand these cards in Sandman? :laughing:[/quote]
Of course you can hand them in. That way, the clerk can get the 4k. Me? Personally? Iā€™d prefer it to stay firmly with MOI!

Chip and pin them then. Anyone can top up a card without a pin number, but you need one to use the money on the cardā€¦

This must be the most boring question ever asked on Forumosa!

The taiwan cards are fully usable for rides on buses/ mrt and purchases at many stores. No PIN needed. NO ID needed.

fully transferable between holders of the card. Therefore i never have more then 200 nt on mine in taipei.

Its not a question. Its an attempt to ā€œwarnā€ you of the ā€œgreatā€ danger of using one of these slanted card readers :laughing: Admittedly the news has been slow since the whats her name beat up of the cab driver.

( i forgot her name already, shes had her 11 ā€¦less then 15 minutes)

Are these cards in no way linked to a person? People just blindly stick money on a bit of plastic and then leave them lying about? The Oyster card in London is something you have to swipe. People seem happy enough with that. Plus they are linked to you by your name. Is there nowhere in the MRT station to hand these cards in Sandman? :laughing:[/quote]
Of course you can hand them in. That way, the clerk can get the 4k. Me? Personally? Iā€™d prefer it to stay firmly with MOI![/quote]

Problem with the student ones is that anyone over 30 is not supposed to be using them. Rats and double rats.

I dunno fella, you just asked a cracker yourselfā€¦

:laughing:

Of course you can hand them in. That way, the clerk can get the 4k. Me? Personally? Iā€™d prefer it to stay firmly with MOI![/quote]

Problem with the student ones is that anyone over 30 is not supposed to be using them. Rats and double rats.[/quote]
Mine stays in my wallet. Nobody sees it.

Problem with the student ones is that anyone over 30 is not supposed to be using them. Rats and double rats.[/quote]
Mine stays in my wallet. Nobody sees it.[/quote]

Yeah and a triple beep will alert the bus driver/MRT operator to ask you for your senior ID card :laughing:

I just used a tilted reader but it had a plastic strip glued along the bottom of its face to stop the card slipping off. :bravo: