YuzuLingo: Free browser extension for hover OCR over Taiwanese YouTube & C-Drama hardsubs

Hi everyone,

I built a free browser extension called YuzuLingo to solve a frustration I kept hitting while immersing in Taiwanese YouTube channels, variety shows, and dramas.

So much Taiwanese video content uses hardcoded, burned-in subtitles (hardsubs) or on-screen graphics where standard mouseover dictionaries like Zhongwen or Yomitan can’t select or hover over the characters. Pausing to manually draw complex 20-stroke Traditional Chinese characters into Pleco kills video flow completely.

What YuzuLingo does:

  • Real-time Hover OCR: Runs client-side OCR directly over HTML5 video players (YouTube, Bilibili, web video frames) so you can hover over hardcoded Traditional Chinese text.
  • Instant Definitions & Readings: Displays mouseover popups with Pinyi, definitions, and Traditional character breakdowns.
  • No Manual Screen Snapping: Works live on hover without needing to stop and crop screenshots manually.

It’s completely free and available on Chrome and Firefox (you can try it at yuzulingo.com).

I’d love to hear your feedback, feature requests, or thoughts from fellow Traditional Chinese learners!