Zain Dean conviction--fatal hit & run case PART IV

Indeed it is. Punishable with up to 14 yrs imprisonment, making his 4yr sentence in Taiwan appear lenient.

When’s the next hearing?

Nevermind, looks like tomorrow’s the day.

Thought this pic sums up Zain’s situation.

The UK doesn’t recognise Taiwan as separate from China. China is deemed to have a horrific human rights record for prisoners. It is against human rights laws to send any national from the UK into possible harm, or death. That’s over simplifying things , but what will mainland chinas take be on it as there are several people in the UK who have not been extradited to there ? There has never been a case of any UK national being extradited to any country the Uk doesn’t have an extradition treaty with. My money would be on him staying in the UK doing a token prison sentence there and being released very soon.

The UK recognising the People’s Republic of China having sovereignty over Taiwan does not imply anything in regard to the human rights situation or due process. The UK also recognises the PRC having sovereignty over Hong Kong and cooperates with the territory’s judiciary.

And just for reference, Germany and Taiwan recently entered into a judicial cooperation agreement - that despite Germany following Beijing’s One China policy rather than “taking note of it”.

That is, however, the case his defense is trying to make.

cna.com.tw/search/hydetailws … B%E7%A9%8E

Taiwan is not a “territory,” not a UN member, and its diplomatic allies are all “small countries,” the defense argued, meaning that Dean shouldn’t be extradited there… for some reason.

No idea what he means here by “territory,” though.

If UK citizen Dean gets deported by his own government to serve time in a Taiwanese jail, UK has no respect of human rights and the rule of law. No one can imagine his government sending him overseas to a foreign prison.

What would you say about the human rights of the person Zain Dean killed? Zain took all his human rights away by driving drunk, and h then lied about it, with most foreigners on those boards cheering him on?

Why? UK has in the past deported their own citizens to countries where the jails are somewhat below UK standards. Child molesters are sent to Thailand, even though they are UK citizens.

In this case, the Scottish legal system has signed a single case treaty with Taiwan covering his possible extradiction, and that means that yes, unless he comes up with something very good, he will be sent back here to serve out his sentence along with what they tag on for escaping using someone else’s passport etc.

He will not be a free man until 2022 at the very least, I think.

At least he was not killed unlike the guy he drove his old merc into.

That’s what the UK has been doing for many years with its citizens: enjoy a prison flight to Germany or the United States!

Hey hang on - so now Zain’s defence is that Taiwan does not exist? Weird, his own govt did not have an issue signing an agreement covering his case with this fiction we all live in.

Yep, the UK is happy to hand them over to the US, the famous hacker case a couple of years back springs to mind.

I do think dealing with the entity known as Taiwan ROC will be a trickier process, but I don’t see many extradition lawyers here so we are all shooting in the dark.

Dean should argue on the environment surviving his trial and police procedures, which to me was not conducive to getting a ‘fair’ trial in the UK sense, even if many people believe that the result was ‘fair’.

There’s a difference.

Was it 2 or 3 minutes from when his car hit the delivery man to the seconity cam in his basement parking lot caught him drivingthe damaged car in?

The media have been tough on him, however the snippet above shoudl be tougher still, as it means that he killed someone.

Full report in English:

focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201401090030.aspx

A Chinese report says the second day of proceedings has started, but doesn’t offer any new information.

Edit:

Taiwan is in fact either a country or a territory, the judge said. Either way, the trial will proceed, with juicy debates over human rights and fair trials. Don’t know when we can expect a verdict.

(Based on my wealth of non-existent legal expertise) I suspect things won’t go well for Dean. If that’s the case, and assuming he is in fact guilty, he would have done better to turn himself in at the beginning. He’d be out of jail by now.

No surprise judge accepts taiwan is a territory. Evev china claims taiwan is a territory that should be reunited, because the 2 territories taiwan & china are ruled by different governments. China claims sovereignty over a lot of territory in SEA not under its control.

Where is the video ZD claims he was going to release to prove his innocence? Where are those human rights orgs he claimed he would work with to prove his case?

He was not extradited. He lost all his appeals in uk / europe. Home secretary blocked his deportation.

I believe ZD will not be so lucky. We all have to wait for courts to deal with this.

[quote=“Mr He”]Was it 2 or 3 minutes from when his car hit the delivery man to the seconity cam in his basement parking lot caught him drivingthe damaged car in?

[/quote]

Which was it?

He was not extradited. He lost all his appeals in uk / europe. Home secretary blocked his deportation.

I believe ZD will not be so lucky. We all have to wait for courts to deal with this.[/quote]

Yes you are right , I wasn’t aware of that. Some other business people were extradited however.

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ … arges.html

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Mr He”]Was it 2 or 3 minutes from when his car hit the delivery man to the seconity cam in his basement parking lot caught him drivingthe damaged car in?

[/quote]

Which was it?[/quote]

I think the time of the accident wasn’t pinned down to within a ten minute range at least.

Why has Mr Dean not yet published the evidence that so clearly proves his innocence? He mentioned that many times… Or does he actually enjoy living in a Scottish prison?

Isn’t one of the major criticisms about the case the unwillingness of Taiwanese authorities to release the videos that would exonerate him? How can Dean release material that is under the lock and key of someone else?