Zucchinis

Are ‘xiao huang gua’ really zucchinis?

Brian

no…?!

cucumbers, no? don’t believe zucchini are locally grown/sold.

They are sometimes. The woman we get our veggies from at the Bitan market occasionally has them – last time they still had the blossoms attached, so they were very very fresh. Nice and small, too. A great big bag for well under NT$100.
Otherwise you can sometimes get them at Jason’s, but they’re very expensive – think NT$100 for one or two.

They also have them at Breeze every once in a while - but I wouldn’t count on it :unamused: . They only seem to be there when you don’t want them - never when you do…

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Are ‘xiao huang gua’ really zucchinis?

Brian[/quote]

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]cucumbers, no? don’t believe zucchini are locally grown/sold.[/quote]Yes, xiao huang gua are cucumbers.

I thought ‘huang gua’ was cucumber, and ‘xiao huang gua’ cucumber.

What are the little things in Welcome that are sort of like cucumbers, but very small, then?

What’s the difference between a zucchini and a very small cucumber?

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I thought ‘huang gua’ was cucumber, and ‘xiao huang gua’ cucumber.

What are the little things in Welcome that are sort of like cucumbers, but very small, then?

What’s the difference between a zucchini and a very small cucumber?

Brian[/quote]You know, I think the regular cucumbers here are pretty small, so that’s why all cucumbers have been labelled “xiao huanggua”. Zucchini are different, though – you can’t eat them raw and they’re not as juicy as cucumbers.

zuchini = 美洲南瓜 (mei zhou nan gua), I think …