100 NT haircut?

I haven’t spent more than NT$100 on a haircut for over 20 years. And as I get older I care even less about how my hair looks…

3 Likes

This week i went for a $100 haircut in Mingde, quick and efficient and no annoying questions.
A couple of weeks before, I went to a ‘normal’ regular barber where they bravely consent to give me a beard trim.
I was in the chair about 10 minutes. In that time, while trimming around my mouth, the barber asked me in rapid fire succession:
Where is my wife?
Is she pregnant?
Do we have children?
Was I married previously?
Do I live with my mother in law?
How does my wife get on with her mother?
How many children did i have from my previous marriage?
Don’t i have any sons?
Of my daughters, do any of them have children?
Are any of my daughters pregnant?
How is my job going in Taipei since i returned from Taitung?
How long since I got back to Taipei?
How long will I be staying?

I was thinking, if I answer one question, maybe she’ll leave me in peace as my reward. But no, each one was gasoline on the fire.

10 Likes

two interesting comparisons. A $100NT vs $1000NT haircut. You get a fast high quality cut for $100NT and a free vacuum cleaner to the head :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve always gotten the $100NT haircuts myself and are always good quality. Sometimes they don’t know what a foreigner wants, so at least have a pic ready to show if you can’t speak very much chinese. But paying a little upgrade for the head massage is well worth it.

$100NT haircut

$1,000NT haircut $30 Ultra Premium Taiwan ✂️ Men's Haircut Salon, LIVING LARGE on a budget! - YouTube

2 Likes

100 NT haircut should be good for gentlemen, and I seldom see ladies there.

Wish they had 100nt haircuts back when I was in the US Marine Corps. We we required to get a haircut every week. Killed my wallet :sob:

Back then in the Belgian army it was 70NT$ equivalent. Cigarettes and beer were cheap too.

1 Like

It costs us between 7 and 12 usd

Plus tip

There are cheaper options.

I sometimes see places with just a mirror on a random wall. There is/was a place under the bridge on Jianguo and Civic behind gas station.

There’s a place in my local wet markets which is basically a mirror on the wall. So you can get your hair cut while trolleys of eggs are pushed behind you. Problem is the woman running it chain smokes outside when she is not cutting hair, and it is very unpleasant having your hair cut by someone with stinky cigarette fingers.

1 Like

Is the Carrefour 100 NT haircut over? They removed the barbershop at my nearest Carrefour, and the next two closest ones have increased the price to 200 NT for men and 300 NT for women. Is this news to anyone else? Is there anyone else on Forumosa that gets haircuts there and is willing to admit it?

1 Like

Yes, my regular 100 nt place is now 200 for men. Prices went up, can’t find 100 nt haircuts any more.
I bought a machine and my wife now cuts my hair at home.

5 Likes

JIT chain, at least in Kaoshuing is now NT$110 (ha +$10 nigher) + tip ( a tin of beer, as I have lots of hair)

1 Like

Still 100 all over my area in Luzhou (Xinbei).

1 Like

still 100 everywhere I go. though now instead of the chain places used for training, I just go local to the grandma which is also 100 (less annoying than young people :innocent:). but I am simple, “short cause its hot”.

I also have my own buzzer that cost me 600nt, made in Taiwan, and have been using for a decade or more.

even in the big cities I still see the chain places at 100nt.

The 100nt JIT cuts across the road from my home has gone up to 110nt, there are a a couple of little independent ones within 5mins that are still 100nt. I normally just stop at some random mum and pops barbers shop and get my head shaved, they always just charge 100nt still.

2 Likes

Went to to near me

My snacks costs more than the haircut

The New Zealand Hard Seltzer is quite cheap for an import

2 Likes

Is the time limit the same or doubled?

You should know the 100nt (now 110 I guess) hair cut has a time limit. Go over that and you buy another ticket.

I have a lot of hair, and they never ever made me pay more. Odd?

2 Likes

I don’t know then. It’s not like they have a stopwatch or anything. It’s mostly a feeling thing. Like if you want to do complicated fades and stuff that’s going to take lots of time, they will make you buy multiple tickets for however long they figure it’s going to take.

There’s usually a fine print somewhere near the price that tells you what the time limit is, or at least near the machine that sells the ticket tells you what the time limit is.

OK ! I never had them ask me to pay more or get more tickets. Sometimes I skip the hair wash so it saves some time, but still always for the me same price (and much cheaper than the hair salon a few steps from my front door which has prices with four numbers).