104.com.tw?

Hi guys,

I recently graduated here in Taiwan for a master’s degree in communications at Shi Xin. I graduated as a Chinese major back at home and i’m hoping to find a job in Taiwan that hopefully allows me to use both.
I have already jumped into the biggest job resource website, 104.com.tw. I established a profile and applied for a few jobs through the website. But every so often i’ve" got offers from companies in my mailbox, and I was just was wondering if anyone could perhaps shed some light on how they work?
Are those actually offers from companies that went through my resume or are they all just automated responses based on software that just crossreferences keywords on my resume with a particular application? My only sole concern is that i’m not really sure if they know that i’m a foreign with good (but not great) Chinese, rather than a native speaker with good english.

Any experiences?

Thanks!

Howdy. I just sent you a very long private message with some hopefully useful advice.

I personally have had no luck with 104. I only got the occassional offer for sales positions or teaching, and I’m kind of condescending and arrogant and unwilling to do either. :slight_smile:

I am in a similar situation. I found my current job through 104 but they contacted me directly via email after having seen my profile on 104. Although I am not slowly looking for better opportunities I am also a bit clueless as to how the site works. Would you mind sending me the same advice as well please Hokwongwei? I’m sure it will help a lot.

My advice wasn’t really about using 104 – in fact, I basically just said find some companies that interest you and (most vitally) already have an understanding of how valuable a Chinese-fluent English-speaker is, and cold call them.

From my personal experience, this rarely works the first time. But it leaves an impression and then they may reach out to you themselves when the time is right.

Best of luck to all.

Thanks! I see you mean more general advice. I agree that it is very important that the company has an understanding of what value a foreigner can add. Also more importantly that they understand how to hire a foreigner. Especially if you need a work permit be sure that the company is even able to offer you a work permit. Too often is a small company keen to add a foreigner to their workforce but for various reasons they are not eligible to arrange a work permit. Ideally find a company that has hired a foreigner before so they know the process.

thanks for the elaborate response Hokwongwei! i’ve contacted most commerce chambers already in the hope they might help me on track. I also got called today about a sales position to sell cellphones. Unfortunately, I understood only of half of what the HR person was telling me (quality of phone conversations makes it that much harder to understand). I asked to email me the job offer instead, which they haven’t done. I’m sure they realized i’m a foreigner with OK chinese.

My major gripe with 104 is that it does let you specifically chose what country you are from if you are not Taiwanese. That really makes me believe most companies that go through my profile have absolutely no idea.

In any case, for some reason I still have this ridiculous belief that I might be the exception to the rule and end up in a company that offers me good working experience, a way to work myself up, decent salary and a great working environment. Dreaming doesn’t hurt, although it does give the occasional headache every so often …

If they have looked at your profile at all and you have posted a photo they will know you are a foreigner.

In the beginning I replied to every interview offer, out of courtesy, but it became too time intensive and stopped. Those that were most interested addressed me by my English name which is hidden inside my English bio and attached English resume. If they have addressed me by my proper name (I don’t use my Chinese name), or they contacted me directly, than I most certainly gave them a response whether I was interested in the opportunity or not. If they have taken the time to really look than I feel I owe them a reply.

I have no basis for saying this, but I get the distinct feeling that most employers use 104 only for base level employees – it’s how they recruit footsoldiers. When looking for someone really special or for management, I think referrals and guanxi play a much bigger role. :2cents:

I have used 104 to find staff for my company before. As an employer, I would go onto the website look for profiles that I liked, and then send them a message to see if they are available. Later I would invite a number of candidates for an interview and then select the ones that I liked to work for me.

I have to admit, I find myself a bit overwhelming with trying to find a job here. I’d very much like to get into a position that builds on my studies (crisis management, bilingual liaison for companies, marketing, …) but I simply lack the experience to apply for anything. Navigating through 104 is also a bit of a nightmare. i’ve unwittingly spent over 3 hours just browsing through pages and pages of applications.

Again, overwhelming

Check the websites of companies you like. Nike had some openings at all kinds of levels just last week for example. My problem is that I can’t write Chinese so I don’t stand a chance.

The basic process:

1. post resume
  2. company sees and like
    (a) 104 internal invitation
    (b) email invitation
  3. HR calls you for interview
  4. wait within a week, no reply, call and check with hr
    sometimes persistence pays off

Personal experience, I’ve had companies reached me 9 months after posting. Just extremely slow. Some company who ignored me initially, weeks later posting again, they changed their mind. Again, persistence pays off. There are some basic levels of screening. Computer filters, different HR personnel, then hiring managers. Sometimes it all comes down to timing and luck.

alright, thanks for all the replies!

I have received some offers that looked interested, including a small internet business middleman with 10 employees. They sent me a message on 104 nearly a week ago, but I haven’t replied to them. I’m having some confidence problems with the Chinese. Most friends would just tell, “whatever man, just go and see what happens”. Hopefully, it isn’t too late to respond yet.

I’ve recently added a picture on my profile and the interest notifications stopped altogether, haha!

Hi, so how is your situation coming along? Have you gotten a job in Taiwan?

Hi!

I lost track of conversation a long time ago. But yeah, I eventually managed to find a job via via at an Internet company in Taiwan. I got employed there around September. They contacted me a week before my visa was going to run out.

I’ve been there for about a year and a half now.

That is so cool! Awesome, congrats and hope you are enjoying Taiwan. Cheers buddy