A Chance to work in Taiwan

Hi guys,

Would like to seek advice, opinions and suggestions.

I am working in a Bank and recently has the chance for an interview for a role in Taiwan. Sort of like internal transfer.

I would love to know what should be the factors to consider, be it remuneration, benefits, etc.

And most importantly,is this a good move.

I am a Chinese and has 6 years if working experience in financial sector.

Appreciate all your inputs.

Thanks!

coming from china?

No.

I’m from Singapore

Does the contract have a repatriation clause where you can move back and still have a job? If not I would hesitate to move.

You might consider if you can get a housing allowance. Apartments here really suck for the most part and you have to pay a lot to get a good place in Taipei. Though you didn’t mention which city you’d be moving to. That makes a different

You may want to ask about whether the company offers supplemental health insurance since Taiwan’s NHI doesn’t cover everything.

Compared to Singapore, housing is amazing here for the money. If you make the same salary here compared to what you make in Singapore, you would be coming out way ahead. The cost of living is roughly 40% higher in Singapore and housing is even more. This assumes it is coming out of your pocket.

Seems like many of your questions should be answered by your company regarding the benefits. At the end of the day, you need to have a reason to move here, of which there may be many.

Hi nonredneck

I don’t think so as technically the Taiwan Branch is a different entity to the Group itself.

Hi squall1

My main reason is to gain exposure and experience in a foreign land, considering I am single and yet have much burdens.

Secondly, I do hope to learn more things while working over in Taiwan

So would you be getting your Singapore salary or a local Taiwan salary? Local Taiwan salary is not that great. Do you have a range of salary that you would get here if you don’t mind sharing it.

This has not been negotiated yet.

Which is why I hope to have more insights on this so that I’m better prepared when the negotiating comes.

My remuneration currently is about NT$72k per month, excluding allowances.

It depends on which city you will be living in. Rent is high in Taipei.

My office will be in Taipei so most likely I will stay around it, though I don’t mind travelling,given that the transport system is quite well defined

May I ask, for you guys, what prompted you to accept to work in Taiwan?

Was the decision hard to make??

If you can get 72K NTD here that might be OK. I would hesitate to take less than that here. Rent is expensive in Taipei. (I think you could get 20 square meter apartment for roughly 15000 NTD in Taipei. Though maybe you could live cheaper in New Taipei and commute to work.

I thought it might be interesting to live here and see what it is like. Thought it also might help my career to get some international experience. It also seemed like a decent place to live. At the time the opportunity presented itself, I went for it cause I thought I would like it in Taiwan.

But in hindsight, I do regret moving here. Now that I understand the culture and lifestyle here a bit more, I would not make the same choice again. Others on this board seem to like it here. So they might have a different opinion that mine.

i wouldn’t call a 15,000ntd place in taipei an apartment myself. i would say its more of a partitioned cell with random fridges hobs and showers scattered around in fun places. you need to go to danshui or the outskirts of the mrt to find anything decent for less that 20,000 pretty much.

Let’s budget 25 to 30 ish K for an apartment in Xinyi or Neihu if we do not want this guy on the next plane to Singapore. Yes, less than 25, even 20k with swimming pool in Danshui…but it will take him forever to come to the city. He can find those prices in Taipei city maybe in “the 3 trees university” or Wanhua/Banquiao/Sanchong/Xinzhuang and other places where the building itself might be nice but the surrounding area might be dubious.

1 Like

Hey! I live in Wanhua, and it’s not dubious. It may not be the Upper East Side or Highland Park, but it’s pretty OK.

Apologies. Newt to New Park, Okish. Next to a, ehem, karaoke parlor, ehem. I was thinking Ximenting there.

But there are karaoke parlors in all the ritzy parts of Taipei too, and even nightclubs in Xinyi district where they kill people.:slight_smile: There used to be lots of meth dealers that plied their trade around New Park, but they’re mostly gone now.

Yep, but in Xinyi posh residential area ain’t.

Host bars, etc next door with mafiossi and others… better stay out of their way.

Hi Icon,
Mind I ask what you meant by take me forever to travel. Based on my vacation visits, its very convenient, though there are alot of stops and there is a need to transfer lines.

Anyway, I will be coming alone, so a room or a small apartment will be fine for me.