Are Taiwanese People Racist?

The longer I stay in this country and the more Chinese I learn it seems to me I am running into a lot of racist really blabbering idiots here in Taiwan Sorry for the generalization but it goes both ways here is seems.

A couple weeks ago I was attacked by an old man when I was parking my scooter in the white line parking spot to go inside a welcome. He kept yelling I am a Taiwanese I think he believed he owned the parking spot in front of a grocery store. After about 2 mins of taking his abuse I finally had enough. When he began following me into the store still blabbering on I screamed back at him “get the $%#@ out of here” I think he shit his pants but I guess I’m lucky I didn’t end up on the news. Am I just having bad luck lately or is this really a problem here ?

This is not just one incident. Just this weekend I was moving into a new apartment really tired and holding a giant box the door was slammed in my face by this grandpa as he yelled Bu yao . I dont want !!! He lives in the building too and apparently didn’t want me there. I try to be nice when I see him say hello but I am always greeted with a look like I am some kind of killer or rapist !!!

Haha WTF is going on here Am I living in 1950’s Alabama ? I need to have a positive experience with a Taiwanese person ASAP.

Well… it kinda depends what you look like. So… what do you look like? Debo from the movie Friday or a Republican senator or Macho Man Randy Savage or Justin Bieber?

[quote=“Skater bum”]The longer I stay in this country and the more Chinese I learn it seems to me I am running into a lot of racist really blabbering idiots here in Taiwan Sorry for the generalization but it goes both ways here is seems.

A couple weeks ago I was attacked by an old man when I was parking my scooter in the white line parking spot to go inside a welcome. He kept yelling I am a Taiwanese I think he believed he owned the parking spot in front of a grocery store. After about 2 mins of taking his abuse I finally had enough. When he began following me into the store still blabbering on I screamed back at him “get the $%#@ out of here” I think he shit his pants but I guess I’m lucky I didn’t end up on the news. Am I just having bad luck lately or is this really a problem here ?

This is not just one incident. Just this weekend I was moving into a new apartment really tired and holding a giant box the door was slammed in my face by this grandpa as he yelled Bu yao . I don’t want !!! He lives in the building too and apparently didn’t want me there. I try to be nice when I see him say hello but I am always greeted with a look like I am some kind of killer or rapist !!!

Haha WTF is going on here Am I living in 1950’s Alabama ? I need to have a positive experience with a Taiwanese person ASAP.[/quote]

You’re lucky the old man didn’t have his grandson at hand … he’d come after you with a baseball bat …

good luck on that positive experience thing.
at least you didn’t spit on the old guy and say do you know who I am.

Whoa, what’s going on here? What’s with all this Taiwan negativity?

OP, you meet good people and bad people everywhere. I can’t count how many Americans I run into that say the stupidest crap.

To answer your question. Taiwanese people are not generally racist. You will have a positive experience with TW people soon enough, they are incredibly friend and great people. I can’t say that enough about them.

Sorry to hear about the older folk picking on you. It’s really just bad luck.

[quote=“Rabidpie”]Whoa, what’s going on here? What’s with all this Taiwan negativity?

OP, you meet good people and bad people everywhere. I can’t count how many Americans I run into that say the stupidest crap.

To answer your question. Taiwanese people are not generally racist. You will have a positive experience with TW people soon enough, they are incredibly friend and great people. I can’t say that enough about them.

Sorry to hear about the older folk picking on you. It’s really just bad luck.[/quote]

why you pointing out Americans here? that’s a bit racist. lol

wheres the shift button on your keyboard lol. thats a bit retarded lolz.

[quote=“justreal”][quote=“Rabidpie”]Whoa, what’s going on here? What’s with all this Taiwan negativity?

Sorry to hear about the older folk picking on you. It’s really just bad luck.[/quote]

why you pointing out Americans here? that’s a bit racist. lol[/quote]

Hahaha, i wonder what category of Race Americans fall into anyways.

I am from the United States so I used my own home country as an example. Hope that’s all right with ya’ll?

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Skater bum”]The longer I stay in this country and the more Chinese I learn it seems to me I am running into a lot of racist really blabbering idiots here in Taiwan Sorry for the generalization but it goes both ways here is seems.

This is not just one incident. Just this weekend I was moving into a new apartment really tired and holding a giant box the door was slammed in my face by this grandpa as he yelled Bu yao . I don’t want !!! He lives in the building too and apparently didn’t want me there. I try to be nice when I see him say hello but I am always greeted with a look like I am some kind of killer or rapist !!!

Haha WTF is going on here Am I living in 1950’s Alabama ? I need to have a positive experience with a Taiwanese person ASAP.[/quote]

You’re lucky the old man didn’t have his grandson at hand … he’d come after you with a baseball bat …[/quote]

well it can work both way and I’d say the poster did nothing wrong in this instance. And if a guy comes at you with a baseball bat then you are within your rights to use lethal force. The poster responded while being subjected to unacceptable abuse and he had the right to say what he did and in my opinion he responded appropriately. You can’t back down from every bully in life because this or that might happen. Yes perhaps he should of communicated better but to me it sounds like the old man was a bully and could not take his own treatment. Communication is always good but their are times when a bully needs his own treatment.

As for racism yah in my many decades spent on and off this island I have seen racism peak and drop here in cycles and we do seem to be going through an up cycle at present.

Where does one begin?

Skater, I assume you are white. Do people in Taiwan really not like white people? I really, really doubt it. They might not like you because you are a foreigner, but that, in my book anyway, is more about xenophobia than racism.

As per your incidents specifically. They were old. Let us assume they were not well-educated, perhaps they caught that bit about Taiwanese girls and foreign guys, maybe they were senile, impotent, or worse (although I couldn’t imagine anything much worse), is it really that big of a deal? I don’t mean to minimize your frustration, but generally living in Taiwan as an occidental foreigner is pretty OK.

Life can be frustrating at times, and I know I have been and written accordingly, but we also have to accept the idea that we are living a life that is the result of the decisions we have made and a course of action we have willingly chosen, and the results and consequences that ensue are commensurate with those decisions. In a nutshell, we will always be foreigners, but if we choose to dwell on that to the exclusion of all else, it can make for a rather unpleasant existence.

There is something to be said for the power of positive thinking, and it would be useful to surround yourself with things and people and experiences that reinforce a positive feedback loop.

[quote=“Rabidpie”][quote=“justreal”][quote=“Rabidpie”]Whoa, what’s going on here? What’s with all this Taiwan negativity?

why you pointing out Americans here? that’s a bit racist. lol[/quote]

Hahaha, i wonder what category of Race Americans fall into anyways.

I am from the United States so I used my own home country as an example. Hope that’s all right with ya’ll?[/quote]

OTM on the west coast. and that is a gov. classification.

There was just an article on the news about some young Taiwanese who were taking bets on who could be the first one to knife a foreigner. The unfortunate victim was an Indonesian road worker. They messed him up pretty bad with fruit knives. That never gets in the English papers of course.

i would have to say in my experience thus far, the older generation is more inclined to be racist towards dark skin foreigners. :loco:

[quote=“fenlander”][quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Skater bum”]The longer I stay in this country and the more Chinese I learn it seems to me I am running into a lot of racist really blabbering idiots here in Taiwan Sorry for the generalization but it goes both ways here is seems.

You’re lucky the old man didn’t have his grandson at hand … he’d come after you with a baseball bat …[/quote]

well it can work both way and I’d say the poster did nothing wrong in this instance. And if a guy comes at you with a baseball bat then you are within your rights to use lethal force. The poster responded while being subjected to unacceptable abuse and he had the right to say what he did and in my opinion he responded appropriately. You can’t back down from every bully in life because this or that might happen. Yes perhaps he should of communicated better but to me it sounds like the old man was a bully and could not take his own treatment. Communication is always good but their are times when a bully needs his own treatment.

As for racism yah in my many decades spent on and off this island I have seen racism peak and drop here in cycles and we do seem to be going through an up cycle at present.[/quote]

A year or two ago I had a run in with a young schmuck when I told him he was parked wrong on a pedestrian crossing … he just stepped out of his car and pulled out a bat … I told him I would set off my dogs … he started calling his buddies on his cell phone … that’s what happens in Taiwan, they feel strong in a group …

And SE Asians. The blatant racism directed towards these ethnic groups is both institutional and incidental.
Yes, Taiwanese people either through ignorance or design are generally racist to some degree.

It’s pretty awesome that the OP didn’t repost to identify their race and/or ethnicity.

Personally I find that I am worshiped here in Taiwan. This is just because of my race though. Has anybody else had this same experience?

Based on what I have read here. and from my own personal experiences, I have no choice but to conclude that Skater bum (and some others…) is likely the true racist on this island; exemplified by his/her accroached censure of a kind and tolerant people.

“What one seems to hate in others, is truly a reflection of themselves” ~Hermann Hesse (paraphrased)

and a seemingly significant, but yet opposite wisdom:

“We hate some persons because we do not know them; and will not know them because we hate them”. ~Charles Caleb Colton

T

[quote=“achdizzy1099”]It’s pretty awesome that the OP didn’t repost to identify their race and/or ethnicity.

Personally I find that I am worshiped here in Taiwan. This is just because of my race though. Has anybody else had this same experience?

Based on what I have read here. and from my own personal experiences, I have no choice but to conclude that Skater bum (and some others…) is likely the true racist on this island; exemplified by his/her accroached censure of a kind and tolerant people.

“What one seems to hate in others, is truly a reflection of themselves” ~Hermann Hesse (paraphrased)

and a seemingly significant, but yet opposite wisdom:

“We hate some persons because we do not know them; and will not know them because we hate them”. ~Charles Caleb Colton

T[/quote]

your Japanese ?

You’re Japanese is likely what you meant?

Normally, grammar correction on this forum is left for the intolerably indignant, but, since this thread has already been stripped o it’s purpose, I will resort to pointing out the sad likelihood that you are a professional English teacher, so…

T

[quote=“achdizzy1099”]You’re Japanese is likely what you meant?

Normally, grammar correction on this forum is left for the intolerably indignant, but, since this thread has already been stripped o it’s purpose, I will resort to pointing out the sad likelihood that you are a professional English teacher, so…

T[/quote]

well actually t I ment you must be Japanese as a joke, I didn’t say anything about you being an English teacher. but it’s ok if you are.
is it an hour at a time, or do you just pay for the hole night?

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“fenlander”][quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Skater bum”]The longer I stay in this country and the more Chinese I learn it seems to me I am running into a lot of racist really blabbering idiots here in Taiwan Sorry for the generalization but it goes both ways here is seems.

As for racism yah in my many decades spent on and off this island I have seen racism peak and drop here in cycles and we do seem to be going through an up cycle at present.[/quote]

A year or two ago I had a run in with a young schmuck when I told him he was parked wrong on a pedestrian crossing … he just stepped out of his car and pulled out a bat … I told him I would set off my dogs … he started calling his buddies on his cell phone … that’s what happens in Taiwan, they feel strong in a group …[/quote]

Yeah I know. Cowardly schmucks. I hate people like that and it makes my blood boil. I love to see a bully get put in his place, but yes you are right to advise caution to the gentleman who started this thread. Something like that happened to me once but I dealt with his phone lol. But enough said on that one as reporters are following these threads.