Dating Filipinas

Who slams you? Taiwanese people?

In the minds of many Taiwanese, Filipinas belong to the category of “waijilaogong”, which is kind of like a lower caste in society, whereas you would be a “waiguoren” (unless you’re of Chinese ancestry, in which case you’d be in yet another category of foreigner: “huaqiao”). So they might think it’s odd for a “waiguoren” to be going out with what may be considered a “maid” or “servant”.[/quote]
You’re probably reading way too much “caste” into these definitions. Waijilaogong basically translates out to “day laborer” of which many indonesian, thai, and filipinas are in Taiwan. It’s not inherently derogatory unless you come across some xenophobic smartasses. Remember that in the U.S. Mexican laborers are referred to in much of the same way. It’s a pretty neutral term.

Huaqiao is basically overseas born Chinese.

Waiguoren translates out to foreigner. It could refer to anyone from any ethnicity that isn’t Chinese… not just white people.

I see people jump the gun on terminology to put their own biased interpretations on how racist or xenophobic they perceive a society to be without looking at it in a more neutral light. It happens a lot in Thailand as well when white people complain about being labeled “farang.”

Not very true. While the word actually means “foreigner” I have argued until I am blue in the face about my malaysian friends and japanese friends also being waiguoren. But most of my friends don’t consider them such because they are asian.

Who slams you? Taiwanese people?

In the minds of many Taiwanese, Filipinas belong to the category of “waijilaogong”, which is kind of like a lower caste in society, whereas you would be a “waiguoren” (unless you’re of Chinese ancestry, in which case you’d be in yet another category of foreigner: “huaqiao”). So they might think it’s odd for a “waiguoren” to be going out with what may be considered a “maid” or “servant”.[/quote]
You’re probably reading way too much “caste” into these definitions. Waijilaogong basically translates out to “day laborer” of which many indonesian, Thai, and filipinas are in Taiwan. It’s not inherently derogatory unless you come across some xenophobic smartasses. Remember that in the U.S. Mexican laborers are referred to in much of the same way. It’s a pretty neutral term.

Huaqiao is basically overseas born Chinese.

Waiguoren translates out to foreigner. It could refer to anyone from any ethnicity that isn’t Chinese… not just white people.

I see people jump the gun on terminology to put their own biased interpretations on how racist or xenophobic they perceive a society to be without looking at it in a more neutral light. It happens a lot in Thailand as well when white people complain about being labeled “farang.”[/quote]
I placed the words “many” (not “all”) and “kind of like” (not “is”) in my post deliberately as qualifiers. Seems they were ignored.

Yes, “waiguoren” means “foreigner”, but it is the fact, like it or not, that many (again, not all, but a proportion significant enough to make it noteworthy) people here equate it with “white people”; in other words, “Japanese” would not be considered “waiguoren” though Japanese people technically are.

I’m aware of the technical meanings, after all I translate for a living.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“TaiwanTroll”]

In my experience, the best way to meet a lovely Filipina girl is to go to church on Sunday. Or just go to the some of the day bars down around the ‘Combat’ zone in Taipei.

Any thoughts?

Taiwantroll[/quote]

There’s an old joke in the states about this. If you wanna meet a ‘good black woman/man’ go to church.

If you like Filipinas then go to church, can’t hurt unless your name is Damon.[/quote]

Don’t you mean Damien? :smiling_imp:

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“TaiwanTroll”]

In my experience, the best way to meet a lovely Filipina girl is to go to church on Sunday. Or just go to the some of the day bars down around the ‘Combat’ zone in Taipei.

Any thoughts?

Taiwantroll[/quote]

There’s an old joke in the states about this. If you wanna meet a ‘good black woman/man’ go to church.

If you like Filipinas then go to church, can’t hurt unless your name is Damon.[/quote]

Don’t you mean Damien? :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Yea, my speeling has never been one of my best qualities. But speeling doesn’t keep you warm at night either :smiling_imp: :smiley: :laughing:

Hehehe…I love this sort of banter…

True. Very true. And if you find out what DOES keep you warm at night, let me know. I’d like some of that… :wink:

[quote=“TaiwanTroll”]
I think it is frowned upon because some people see it as exploitative, since Filipinas are generally poor and hold menial labor jobs here.[/quote]

Dont’ worry about that.

Remember that quite a few locals also frown on foreign/Taiwanese couples.

Also, while some in the forumosa PC brigade might see it as explotative, it might be worth to note that there’s absolutely no link between your pinoy GF having a low life job here, and her foreign BF exploitating her.

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“TaiwanTroll”]
I think it is frowned upon because some people see it as exploitative, since Filipinas are generally poor and hold menial labor jobs here.[/quote]

Dont’ worry about that.

Remember that quite a few locals also frown on foreign/Taiwanese couples.

Also, while some in the forumosa PC brigade might see it as explotative, it might be worth to note that there’s absolutely no link between your pinoy GF having a low life job here, and her foreign BF exploitating her.[/quote]That’s abolutely right, your exploitation of her and her career should ideally have no bearing on each other at all. :howyoudoin:

HG

Sorry I can’t resist I am in that kind of space today…was just reading the thread about Taiwanese lying. Ha, Philippinas lie like there is no merit to the truth EVER. Honestly for a race that are supposedly so religious it is quite unbelievable. I have a friend in HK who has been married (to a Philippina) for 2 years and still doesn’t know how old his wife is. She told him she was younger than she toldher flat mate, who was a friend of mine, but her passport says something different as does her birth certificate…and this seems to be quite normal.

I dated a few Philippinas in HK when I was first there and yes they are lots of fun and have great English but seriously be careful. Horror stories abound.

Edgar, a lady never reveals her age. A gentleman never asks. That adage doesn’t come from the Philippines. :wink:

Sandman

Trust me my friend is no gentleman…tee hee hope he’s not reading this.

The girl has also (apparently) lied about some far worse things which I won’t go into here but my friend loves her and believes that she feels the same way, which I guess is all that matters as far as they are concerned.

I was in Singapore last Sunday and it is Filipina heaven! Shame is, they all have to be tucked up in bed by 6-8pm or they are in big trouble and it is their only day off!! Not easy dating a Filipina slave er I mean maid in Asia. Generally speaking they are lovely to chat with. I have heard and seen the horrow stories but if you keep your eyes and ears closed, expect trouble!!

Why would you want to date Filipinas in SG? There are plenty of lovely Singaporean and Malaysian girls there who speak good English, generally well educated, quite westernised and who are not ‘slaves’ to their employers. Wouldn’t these girls be easier to date than Filipinas? :slight_smile:

Well if you’re not in bed by 8 o’clock it’s time to go home - as my father used to say.

Why would you want to date Filipinas in SG? There are plenty of lovely Singaporean and Malaysian girls there who speak good English, generally well educated, quite westernised and who are not ‘slaves’ to their employers. Wouldn’t these girls be easier to date than Filipinas? :slight_smile:[/quote]

Hmm Singapore where the birthrate has fallen because the femle population literally won’t date without confirmation of the 5Cs
Car
Condo
Club
Credit Card
Cash (or is that Carats?)

Anyway what a shallow unlikeable group. If we are choosing to date racial groups then I’ll take anyone but please.

Edgar Allen, generalizations like that are rarely true, and rarely reflect well upon the speaker.

And one is generally judged by the friends he keeps…
:wink:

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Sandman

Trust me my friend is no gentleman…tee hee hope he’s not reading this.

The girl has also (apparently) lied about some far worse things which I won’t go into here but my friend loves her and believes that she feels the same way, which I guess is all that matters as far as they are concerned.[/quote]

1. here we go again about racial traits…

2. anyone who writes “tee hee” or says “tee hee” is not a man.\

3. Lying in dating and marriage? I don’t think I’ve been to a country where that never happens.

1 Like

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Sorry I can’t resist I am in that kind of space today…was just reading the thread about Taiwanese lying. Ha, Philippinas lie like there is no merit to the truth EVER. Honestly for a race that are supposedly so religious it is quite unbelievable. I have a friend in HK who has been married (to a Philippina) for 2 years and still doesn’t know how old his wife is. She told him she was younger than she toldher flat mate, who was a friend of mine, but her passport says something different as does her birth certificate…and this seems to be quite normal.

I dated a few Philippinas in HK when I was first there and yes they are lots of fun and have great English but seriously be careful. Horror stories abound.[/quote]

I think this is an example of the “third world woman marrying western guy for his passport” syndrome and is common throughout the third world, not just the Philippines. Russian mail order brides tend to lie about everything, too. You’d think that guys would have figured it out. Marry a woman who loves you for you and not your money & passport.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Hmm Singapore where the birthrate has fallen because the femle population literally won’t date without confirmation of the 5Cs
Car
Condo
Club
Credit Card
Cash (or is that Carats?)

Anyway what a shallow unlikeable group. If we are choosing to date racial groups then I’ll take anyone but please.[/quote]

I agree. But this can be used to a foreigner’s advantage. Get a relatively nice pad in Singapore, have a relatively good job (even education is well paying in Singapore because the government demands certified professionals), and have a relatively good degree, you will find yourself never short of female companionship.

I got a decent job in Singapore when I was 22 years old – right after graduate school. Seriously, right after arriving, there were literally chicks coming out of the woodwork. Good looking model lookalikes with Chinese, Malay, and Indian blood. For a single man in his early 20s, it was heaven. In the back of taxis, on the night safari, in my condo’s steam room —what a great year. All the girls could speak English very well and were very educated, professional, and well travelled. However, the girls’ materialism and phoniness were a major turnoff. Like the previous poster mentioned, the “kiasu” mentality runs deep in Singapore. I got tired of chicks repeatedly asking me where I went to school, what I do, and what club I am a member of after meeting me for just five minutes. This phoniness towards brand names and status is generally bad in all of Asia, but for some reason it is especially bad in Singapore. For a Western Canadian, this flaky phoniness reminded me of cocktail party banter with Eastern Canadians during trips to the East heheheehhehehehe. However, in Singapore, the real-life environs of Batam or Bintan are only a ferry ride away.

With the birth rate falling and people’s kiasu mentality, a lot of people think Singaporeans are too tired for sex. The government is actively encouraging more people to copulate by paying bonuses and giving generous tax breaks to families. But before people take that step (to marriage), there is a need for some healthy casual loving!! Whether it’s “heartlanders” going at it like rabbits in HDB flats or the “international class” wannabees fornicating in high-priced condos, it is a city of debauchery. For a single foreign man looking to sow his royal oats, Singapore is indeed the “Loin” city (often called the Lion City).