Do you hate your coworkers?

Your hate has come at a good time, as the market has probably never been better (at least since the roaring 1990s) for English teachers in Taiwan.

Perhaps use this as an opportunity to see what else is out there for you?

Guy

2 Likes

Children generally say the truth about these kind of things, when kids don’t like you then you will definitely know it. Just start being friendly with the parents. Also you need to talk to your boss about this situation. This is coming from your manager and co~workers not your boss right ?

2 Likes

My boss/head manager is telling me my coworkers are saying these things. I don’t usually see the parents since COVID. I straight up told her that doesn’t make sense. The children will openly admit if they like something or don’t. Children have no filters lol.

1 Like

Another thing why do other forgeiners try to be rude? Am I not allowed to vent my frustrations or something? Everything online is totally always face value. :roll_eyes:

It’s like you have to have an Asian fetish and jerk off other foreigners. It’s already hard enough at work then we have people mad that we aren’t in love with all things Asian. How dare I have problems at work! Don’t I know Asians are the best?!

1 Like

does this describe a lot of people you know? is there lotion involved?

2 Likes

Well, if you think you’re doing fine and they all think you’re not, you’re missing something.

As a former owner, that’s never done because of gossip. IDK what the “things” your colleagues told your managers, but if they cut your class load, then you deserve to know why.

Have you simply asked them? I mean this stuff says little about your teaching

Some people just rub people the wrong way. I know I do at times. Are you prone to give voice to complaints during prep time? Are you needy and always asking for help, direction or support? I have no idea, so don’t take this as me getting on your ass, but sometimes a rant is useful and sometimes reflection is necessary. Try not to conflate the two.

Good luck, and yeah, I’d start looking for another job pronto. Seems toxic.

3 Likes

Actually, the reason I was going over classes was because these teachers themselves needed “help”. They want me to do their work for them. I didn’t bring that up to the manager because I feel like it creates drama.

I asked the manager to explain and explain how if I’m so bad why is my class at a certain level are the only ones that can speak English lol. She just goes in circles and I straight up told her this isn’t making any sense.

I think managers here like to create problems to “fix”. At my old job managers would do similar stuff to other people. Like telling us tell the kids “purple” then getting mad we didn’t tell the kids “pink” when “pink” was never mentioned before nor relevant to “purple”.

My favorite story is how last semester at this job they told me my student comments were written wrong and I needed to rewrite them. I just changed the font and turned it back in without rewriting anything and they were magically perfect then. :joy:

Adding: They told me how much better they were written when they were the SAME comments.

Oh and a former female that worked here has had issues too.

How so? Are you designing lesson plans or something? Also, if you are telling staff that you have a teacher degree AND a Certificate for ESL, then their expectations for YOU should be higher, yeah? Maybe don’t remind people of that if you don’t want the extra attention. :idunno:

If you’re actually SAYING that out loud to the manager, think about how that looks to them. They might see your response as defensive and arrogant. Cross cultural complaints can be a spaghetti mess of knots.

Yeah, I don’t think that’s it. lol Most managers are too lazy to create work.

Again, maybe the font was what was wrong?

What are the male teachers doing that you aren’t or vice versa?

I’m not saying you have a chip on your shoulder. I don’t know you and I believe this is the first time we’ve communicated, however, you kinda seem to have a chip on your shoulder. Hence the rant. Again, to be positive. Leave. Workplace sounds toxic. :idunno:

The only one that has this information is the manager.

I asked her to explain because students have no filter. What students and co teacher say weren’t adding up with what she said. Plus you yourself told me I should ask. I’m telling you I did ask and she didn’t explain.

She knows the word font and told me this semester she didn’t like my font. She said what was written was wrong not the font.

They have been here for years.

I’m doing stuff my coteachers are suppose to do in their classes along with my lesson.

I probably will just mute you now. Adios.

This is a bit much. Nobody here is out to get you—and many of us (including JD) do post in good faith.

Take care,

Guy

6 Likes

I doubt that given the gossipy nature of your workplace, according to you.

:laughing:

It’s OK. I have a Master’s Degree in TESOL. I’ll be alright, but don’t expect me to do your homework or fit in to the customs of this place.

You are coming across as abrasive . Just letting you know that as a complete outsider to this whole thing.

4 Likes

It’s a rant. I get it. Snow big deal. However, a rant is not reflection. Reflection usually dings the ego, and I don’t think she’s there yet.

2 Likes

I’m literally answering his questions with what I was told and he is telling me it’s not true. I am saying what was said to me. I don’t know if manager/coteachers/students are lying. Things aren’t adding up. Hence me coming on here to vent. Then I’m being told I’m not telling the truth when I’m literally telling what happened and how I am confused!

1 Like

I’m literally not doing that at all.

4 Likes

I used to jump five cram schools in a week for 35 hours, and here’s what I think.
If you don’t like the school, keep searching. There will always be a school that will throw shades at you for whatever reason.

I had horrible experiences from, jeez, too many schools, and that’s why I left for public schools. But I also learned that some cram (well, all of the) schools actually give a damn. If you think you’re worth more than what has transpired, go search for new schools. It took me a whole year until I found the right schools, and I’ve been with them (and my bosses, all wonderful human beings) for almost eight years. My rate is way above average because they care about the kids and teachers, and they are also helping me get back into the cram school scenes.

As much as I understand your frustration (trust me…I had my shares too), don’t let them get to ya.

11 Likes

Great post. Love your attitude and your search for the right fit.

Guy

3 Likes

I’m actually confused what to do with finding a new job. My hours are currently when other schools would want to do interviews etc. Did you just take a day off when you had an interview? Also, did you physically just go to places in person and hand your resume? :confused:

2 Likes

This was a while ago, but I fired my resume like a machine gun.
Nowadays, schools are desperately looking for competent teachers so I do think it could be a chance for you. Just apply through whatever means you can use, get an interview, and do a demo.

In the past two weeks, I did one online demo, one physical demo, and I have another demo and an interview in the next three days. (I already had 2 part-time offers and one full-time pending as I perform my demo) I can’t imagine you not getting any offers or interests as long as you have a good resume and your certifications ready.

I’m not sure about your legal status as well. I have an open ARC so I am basically free to do what I want and leave as I please. If you are sponsored, I imagine it would be a little more challenging.

3 Likes

Were you on a one year contract when you quit? Or do APRC not require this? I would have to deal with that plus a tiny bit scared if I just quit now I won’t be able to interview because the possible lockdown lol. Plus on ARC not APRC yet.
Also, where do you see jobs?

I had a phone interview and sent a demo a few months back. They said I needed to come in person on a work day (to a different city). Ended up not replying for a few reasons that being one lol.

Oh and has anyone posted your resume on tealit? I thought about it but scared my current job will see.

1 Like