Don't f-in steal bikes in Taiwan

Someone’s bike was stolen during the triathlon event in Taidong earlier today. FB post made at 10AM. Thief found at 12:20PM.

That’s one stupid ass thief and god I love Taiwan for this.

20 Likes

Why the hell is no one monitoring the transition zone?

3 Likes

I had bikes stolen in Austin and filed a police report. Had a very good lock on it and it did no good. I mean a plasma cutter will chew through steel of any hardness and do so quietly. The police did absolutely nothing about it.

There are countries that manage a surveillance state well, and others that don’t. I was in taitung yesterday, no joke about how many expensive bikes. Fancy cars. Near hunger games capital level fashion etc showed up. A thieves wet dream. Glad the prick got caught. Also glad we are so comfortable leaving expensive stuff out (to get stolen om a bad day). Also glad our government catches them. Also glad our government doesn’t go full tyrrant with their over reach of privacy.

We should hold these norms dear and work hard to protect these current things. It’s easy for any one of the situations to go full OCD.

5 Likes

This is probably not the thread for you.

13 Likes

Didn’t someone here get a six month jail sentence for stealing a naff o-bike bike here? Ended up paying ~180k instead wasn’t it?

5 Likes

Someone did, yes.

I was just reading through that thread. Pricey mistake!

1 Like

It could be helpful in terms of poacher turned gamekeeper.

3 Likes

Education is rarely free :hugs:

Unless you’re a foreigner in taiwan. Plot twist! Haha

2 Likes

I remember when my bicycle was not stolen that the police wanted to checked the footage from the surveillance cameras in my street but actually all the cameras were out of service.
Just decoration but with bad taste.

1 Like

There are some expensive bikes at triathlons. I’m glad he/she didn’t get away with it. People often check their bikes in the evening before and leave them overnight. I’m surprised this hasn’t happened before.

In this case, the thief seemed to steal the bike during the race? Probably the best time with all the chaos in the transition areas. Again, glad it didn’t end well for the thief.

1 Like

I have been fu ked by them as well (not working" "). Also bad police. But overall, Taiwan is heavily monitored, that is fairly undeniable. Compared to where I was born, Taiwan is much like a dystopian movie. but, without the tyranny :slight_smile: and yet somehow with the amazingly high levels of corruption.

Taiwan is the best oxymoron of the 21st century in my opinion.

Only affluent people compete in races like these. Do you think your average 40k a month worker is going to afford these kind of races?

The prize money or whatever is nothing compared to all the money they gotta spend on all the gears unless they got sponsorship.

Poor people only compete in sports that don’t require expensive gears, like soccer.

I’ve had random things stolen off my bike (handle bar grips, the thing that adjusts/keeps the seat in place) and the police in Taiwan could not have been more fucking useless.

2 Likes

Not true… and almost no one does these events for prize money.

I had my break line cut. I called the police. At first they said not much they can do , I said yes you can get forensics here. They said they might be a long time . I said fine I got all day. The forensics arrived in 15 minutes, checked my bike for finger prints , DNA you name it. You got to insist on it.

2 Likes

To be fair, you do need a bit of money to compete in triathlon. Access to a pool and money to pay for it. Bikes. Dont most have at least two? Training and race bike. My old housemates did. Time to train. Major time commitment.

Obviously you could train in the ocean and use a ubike but triathletes do seem to be people with money.

1 Like

To be fair, I know plenty who compete with normal salaries similar to what was posted. Yes, you have to spend money on those things but there are certainly levels. People simply save money. Yes I imagine it is cheaper than soccer, but I don’t play soccer or know many who do, so I won’t state any absolutes about it. What I do know is that people on entry salaries in Taiwan participate in triathlon. Not a single one I know would even mention the “prize money”.

Yup, like any hobby, you need time to participate.

1 Like

TL makes every thread about him. It’s his SOP

2 Likes

You’re onto something there , a ubike triathlon. Could be quite a good marketing blitz.

6 Likes