Getting your driver's license in Taipei

thanks

So according to the following link, provided at the very top of this thread:

Here is the information no one has brought up in response to the original post, regarding a car license application for a foreigner who doesn’t have, or has never had, a license from elsewhere:

“Procedures for applying Driver’s License Test for car (you are unable to submit your foreign driver’s license .)
Physical Exam >Vision Test >Learner’s Permit >Attend to Driving School or Self- training >Registration >Driver Knowledge Test >Driving Test”

Not having a license myself, and knowing this, I got a Learner’s Permit (學習駕照證) in November 2015 with the intention of studying up on the rules and, when ready, doing a road test.

By the way, obtaining a Learner’s Permit doesn’t involve any sort of a test. You need a medical, which to my knowledge can only be done at an actual DMV in Shilin (士林). Any other branch and you have to bring one in from a DMV-approved clinic. There’s a Tealit link that’s been posted a few times along this thread that provides a Google Maps link to all the approved clinics in Taiwan. The medical doesn’t involve blood tests or anything of the sort. You also need to provide three one-inch (254mm) photos. Too large and they won’t fit on the license. Mine was too big. They just cut off the top of my head. It looks hilarious.

I was so busy with work and personal projects at that time, however, that even within the Permit’s validity period of one year I was still unable to find the opportunity to get to Shilin (士林), where I got the 學習駕照證, and do the actual road test.

So now, a year and eight months since the expiry of my Learner’s, and fortunately having much more time on my hands, I’m about to apply for a new one. I’ve moved to Kaohsiung, where driving a car for me has become a must-have, not a nice-to-have.

If anyone’s still reading this ancient thread, please let me know if you’d be interested in hearing how it all goes…

1 Like

They did the same to my picture too. It looks ridiculous but funny at the same time.
I brought in the passport sized.photo which is too big so they cut the head part

1 Like

Originally in my post I typed “Shulin” but I’ve since edited it to read “Shilin” (士林).

I did not have to surrender my licenses - Australian licenses.
Though my AU licenses have expired now, I do have a TW scooter license and Car license, which let me ride motorcycles, actual motorcycles, not the 125/150 fun bikes all over the place.
When I went back to Au for a business trip, I was able to get an International License for the trip, which would let me hire a vehicle in Sydney if needed. The International License lasts for years, so I’ll be using it again this year, if needed when/if I go back.

For those who need a license, it is really simple, PR status needed though I believe.
Car:
-1 hour training in the car for 30 days, solo, driving around training course
-Computer test, pretty standard, they will change to english for you before you start if needed
-Training course driving test, about 10 minutes
-Road driving test/practice, which they may not do if your Mandarin is bad, or non existent, like mine was when I did it
–Pass all and get a license for car

Scooter:
-Show up
-Computer test - pass and move on, fail and go home
-If you pass: go outside, same location for riding test, ultra easy, Ride in straight line, turn left, stop for light, go for light, brake. Using indicators of course when turning (because that REALLY matters to most drivers in TW! :smile: )
-Go back to office, after test, get license.

Probably why scooter riders are scary af here with that test to be honest. Amount of tests and training to get a license in Aus is insane, but very very good and worth the time.

I’m currently doing a standard five-week car-driving course at a license-prep driving school. But I still don’t know: do they do the final test right at the school? Or do you still need to go the the DMV where they have an identical test track?

Have you tried asking them?

Sorry I haven’t been back to this topic for a while. The answer was actually “both”. The final written test was at the Motor Vehicles Department, but the road test - composed of both on-site-track and real-life-street portions - was done at and around the school. I made one error on the writing test (didn’t remember whether it was every two or three years professional licenses came up for review - as though that could have any relevance to me whatsoever) and scored 92% on the road test (they couldn’t come up with why I’d been docked 8% but at that point I’d gotten my license so I left it at that). While I’d recommend taking a course before taking the road test, I’d also have to say five weeks of an hour a day is a little over the top. This could have been done in half the time.

Probably because you’re a competent driver that maybe has been driving in another country. I saw some people practicing on the school road testing area…they need it.

1 Like

Solution to How to get your Scooter, Motorcycle, and or Car license in Taiwan

First off, Congratulations to “elsif1” for not giving up and pushing forward in getting your Gold Card from your fellow San Franciscan. :slight_smile: For those that are in the process, it has come a loooong way since I got mine in 2020. Though some of the process can be daunting…work through it and be patient.

I apologize if what I am about to share is really not directly related to obtaining the Gold Card…but I think this could really be beneficial to the Gold Card Community.

I JUST got my scooter license today. I was always on the fence in even trying to get it. Honestly, it was because most of the process and paperwork is in Chinese. From the local DMV, health check, testing (written test was taken in english)…etc etc. Just the whole process of getting it was not something worth it to me. UNTIL, I discovered Ador-Biker. (Ador-Biker) and (https://www.liveintaiwan101.com/categories/ador-biker系列) Lulu is the Founder of the Company and what she offers is the service to HAND HOLD us foreigners through the whole process. I mean literally hand holding me through the health check, filling out the DMV forms (they are in Chinese), attending my first day of riding class (they will ensure you are in a class with an instructor that speaks English) to ensure everything is ok, bringing me to get my health check, arranging my DMV written test appointment, meeting me at the DMV on written test day and finally, being there the day of my riding exam to lend moral support.

Their service and main demographic is focused on foreigners that need help getting their scooter, heavy motorcycle and car license. Moreover, they will apply for the Government subsidy and return CASH back. How awesome is that!

Their first time passing rate is very high. The main thing is, you have someone by your side every step of the way in getting your license taking out a lot of the guess work that comes with getting any kind of license.

I posted their informational websites above.

Then, after you get your license, Ador-Biker hosts scooter tours to spots in and around Taiwan to get you familiar with riding around. All around, it’s just an AWESOME program. Again, this is mainly catered for foreigners who want to take the guess work out of the process of getting any kind of riding / driving license.

Give it a GO if you are interested in getting some form of license and wanting to take all the guess work out so you can start really exploring Taiwan.

Take Care and Be Well.

Allen C.

4 Likes

Is there a list of DMVs in northern Taiwan? Website with that information? Thanks.

I’m using the links in this website for the test questions study guide. Are the links still valid (not old information)? Thanks.

And this link is still valid, right? (Simulated test in different languages.)

https://www.mvdis.gov.tw/m3-emv/news/office

2 Likes

Yes that link is still valid , but you can also download the following App (2022汽機車駕照筆試 ) which are the same questions of simulated written test in different languages

3 Likes

Thank you for that!

1 Like