Gutter oil

More than 1,000 food companies and restaurants around the country have been found to have been using the tainted oil products, forcing massive nationwide recalls with new names appearing on the list every day.

The latest victims Saturday included bread chain Yamazaki for its soups and sauces, coffee chain Famonn for a tomato vegetable soup and Kuang Ta Hsiang for its fried pork fiber. Famonn forms part of the prominent Wowprime Corporation restaurant empire. As a precautionary measure, Yamazaki and Famonn immediately removed related products from their menu.

New Taipei City-based Fang Fu Co., Ltd. reportedly supplied 78 companies and eateries in eight cities and counties with tainted oil products. Chocolate, chicken rice and soup might all have been made with the oil from Fang Fu, reports said Saturday. The company might have distributed a total of 84,000 kilos of questionable lard oil to its customers, including a chocolate factory, a Tamshui bakery, a pork fiber shop in Shihmen, and meat producers in Yunlin County, reports said.

Fast food chain [color=#FF0000]Mos Burger[/color] announced a compensation program for consumers of five types of hamburger which had used Chang Guann oil for their sauces. Between September 15 and 30, customers could bring in receipts from March 1 and September 5 for the five products and get their money back, managers said.

The ingredients at Mos Burger, Yamazaki and Famonn reportedly came from the same supplier.

WTH is lard doing in chocolate?

They have various amounts of oil in them…

The only lard that should be trusted these days are the ones you buy from pork dealers, where you have to render it yourself.

The only lard that should be trusted these days are the ones you buy from pork dealers, where you have to render it yourself.[/quote]

Sure you can trust the lard is lard but not what went into the pig…

Exactly! Friggin idiots! :loco:

The only lard that should be trusted these days are the ones you buy from pork dealers, where you have to render it yourself.[/quote]

Sure you can trust the lard is lard but not what went into the pig…[/quote]

Exactly, heavy metals and other pollutants are mostly found in fat.

BTW, you never ever use animal fat in chocolate, there mixes used in chocolate but they are mostly from plants (palm kernel) and hydrogenated, especially in tropical or hot countries to stabelize and increase the melting point. (32-34C) but then chocolate tastes like earwax.

Exactly! Friggin idiots! :loco:[/quote]

But does anybody here think that what Taiwanese call chocolate is the same you know as chocolate back home? the same goes for icecream and other originally western food.

Exactly! Friggin idiots! :loco:[/quote]

But does anybody here think that what Taiwanese call chocolate is the same you know as chocolate back home? the same goes for icecream and other originally western food.[/quote]

No … but they name it chocolate and ice-cream … or chocolate ice-cream … even cream is not real cream, it’s hydrogenated fat (vegetarian), so it doesn’t melt away as real cream does. And they make it in all kinds of colors. :popcorn:

They do the same to whipped cream… I feel cheated…

At least if you miss good European pasta you can find the original Nazi spaguetti…

It’s easy… pay more for better ice cream like Hagen Daz, Movenpick, Meiiji, etc. and not worry about eating ice creams that don’t melt.

Water melts down alright.

There have been ice creams that’s made out of some weird substance, and won’t melt in the sun.

Last one they tested, they an hour in the sun… no melting.

And we are eating that… :no-no:

And we are eating that… :no-no:[/quote]
A friend told me that there was a video showing that with an icecream from 7/11… shit, now I fancy an icecream!

BTW, which icecream did you put under the sun?

And we are eating that… :no-no:[/quote]
A friend told me that there was a video showing that with an icecream from 7/11… shit, now I fancy an icecream!

BTW, which icecream did you put under the sun?[/quote]

7/11

I started feeling a bit distrustful when even local doctors started warning about eating that stuff, not because of the fats, but other chemicals it contained. :noway:

Damn, for what they are charging for those ice cream they ought to be using something better!!

I guess there’s always a price for convenience.

So the factory terrain is badly polluted. I saw some of the photos that farmer made, and his story: They used to dump trash oil (some sludge at the top of oil which they removed with a dirty broom, the ‘waste among the waste’, if you will) in holes in the ground and cover it up. So, big cleanup operation underway, I hope?

remember the sentence… for 7 eleven and other convenience stores…
(forgot where it comes from)
simple as: eat quickly, die quickly

Better check the ingredient list, instead of assuming brand names equal quality. Most ice creams here are not real. Ice cream shouldn’t include anything you don’t recognize, or anything basically other than dairy, sugar, vanilla, and natural flavors. If it has palm or other veg oils, you’re already eating adulterated crap. :2cents: (Dragoncito adds :boo-hoo: :beatnik: :popcorn: :lick: :stuck_out_tongue: :ohreally: :rainbow:) After reading ingredient lists here, we decided to start making our own ice cream, and no longer buy any industrially produced junk. It’s really easy, and fun.