I was arrested and need advice

He is due to be deported, in March, I think. After serving a 3 month term in a Taiwanese prison. Yeeewww! Rice porridge every day.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: What’s wrong with rice porridge?

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Unhelpful from arrested

It seems that Iranian man was released without bail? I had to pay 25k bail even though my charge was only ‘disturbing the peace drunk’ or something to that effect. That’s a little worrying. I will update this post once I go to court. I’m really hoping most of you are right about this.

I for sure will be very apologetic as I genuinely am. This torture alone of not knowing the outcome has been a living hell in itself. I’m so depressed and feel helpless. I’m very aware it’s all my fault. I just need to focus on my work. Thanks all

1 Like

In response to tango. They took me to a regular police station I think. No international officers if I recall. It took me a good while to sober up and I don’t really remember. It was in my area yes.

So they’re probably doing whatever simple research to see what they know about you in the area. That could be good or bad.

I couldn’t imagine they would waste police resources on investigating me? They wouldn’t find much if they did. I am a pretty boring guy usually.

Iirc, you can renew your ARC, even if you get a criminal record. I’m not very sure, but, once you exit, you might be denied re-entry. I’ll look for sources later.

The Immigration Act says this:

Article 32 National Immigration Agency shall revoke or repeal a person’s residence permit and cancel his/her Alien Resident Certificate if the person meets one of the following circumstances:

1. Has been sentenced to punishments of imprisonment for one (1) year or greater by a judicial authority, whereas a person who commits a crime due to his/her negligence is exempted.

Article 36
The National Immigration Agency shall forcibly deport an alien if he/she commits any of the following offenses:

1. Having violated the provisions stated in Paragraphs 1 to 3 of Article 32, resulting in the cancellation of the alien’s residence permit and revocation of the Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)

I’d find it hard to believe you might receive a sentence of over a year if they took it easy on you, but I’d take whatever letter I was sent and see a lawyer. There’s even Legal Aid here that can answer basic questions. It’s certainly possible that the cops might have said one thing and done another, but if you were truly apologetic they may well have taken it easy on you.

1 Like

Go to a AA meeting and get a 24 hour chip. Worst comes to worst your lawyer or you can show and explains this to the officer or the judge you are in a program to help. This might also be something to help. I can’t say if you’re a alcoholic or not, but it doesn’t hurt to spend 1 hour of your time there for one and most people in meetings are open about things. Just be honest if you want to talk about what happened and you don’t know or think your an alcoholic. No one will judge you. And no one forces you to talk so you don’t have to either. May be an option to show some action vs saying I’m sorry.

Judges in Taiwan in my experience are pretty laid back. Especially many of the younger ones, I notice Taiwan is not flooded with only very old judges. Many of them look maybe 30s 40s. And there’s is usually 3 of them in a criminal trial so that’s kinda unique and prevents one hot headed judge who wants to make a name for himself from just giving you the harshes sentence.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why so much repression?

Check the statements they took. They should only have taken statements from you when you sobered up from my understanding.

We already have threads about the irate Iranian and Mr. Tattoo.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Because we just don’t have enough threads about Muslims already

Talking about invetsigation, I wonder if someone had slipped something on your drink -not uncommon, and I do not mean just ruffies.

Yes, as soon as the cops turn up all drinking buddies dissappear but at least one should have stayed behind to make sure you were OK. And evaporated as soon as you started throwing punches. But never go throug stuff like this alone. have a buddy as emergency contact, always have witnesses to everything from rental to well, this.

Was wondering the same. Young single foreigner, enjoying the island life… maybe someone wanted to take you down a notch or two?

Germantech, what’s the latest?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: The completely useless obvious advice thread

That works. the judge will give you a lighter sentence and there might not be a criminal record. Though might need a lawyers help (which I should have done). I assume you are going to the criminal court, try to check if the prosecutor is the government or a person, you might be able to negotiate a settlement.

1 Like

Still not got my court date yet tango.

Roy. Sorry, what works? Don’t understand that part of ur post. How can I found out what the prosecutor is? Do you mind telling me your situation and how it went down? Many thanks

Also I appreciate the concern about me being spiked etc. But no. This was all my own doing.