Is an FBI background check needed to work at a kindergarden in Taiwan?

I have an interview with a kindergarden but have recently learned that I need an Fbi bg check to teach at taiwanese schools. I ask this because I know working at a kindergarden is illegal here but it’s the only job I can potentially get due to my race. I’ve been in Taiwan a month.
I got an fbi check but accidentally left it in United States. I only have my local police bg check.

Do you think I’ll still get the job?

I mean were you a child molester or something? Maybe someone can chime in. I got a “FBI” background check a couple times to work with kids at TAS, TES, and I forgot the name but a Christian American school. Never been a problem. I feel like it’s not very extensive.

The only real check is my friend who is now a intelligence officer in the Us had to put me down as a foreign national contact and the CIA/FBI actually did some vetting like interviewing people like my teachers and such to basically see if I’m a spy. I was his best man at his wedding and the only other option for him is to cut contact with me or do this process that took a long time and hold back his career. A very strange experience.

… no. Having an fbi check to teach in taiwan is a new law. I didnt know it until i began searching for jobs

so what if you’re not a US citizen? how the fu*k does the FBI have jurisdiction there?

I mentioned this to a HR lady at one of the schools. I accidentally slipped that I spent time in other countries and she made me list where and when. I really feel like this FBI test is BS.

Ask someone home to mail it. That’s a pretty important thing to have forgotten.

No, it’s not. There’s many factors to what you may have read, I suggest reviewing wherever you got this misinformation. Seems you misread it entirely.

Not legally, the school needs to apply for your ARC. One current requirement is that background check.

I’m confused on why your race factors in to what job you can get?

Also, these checks are never done very well. Unless you have a federal offence, it’s really hard to go through all the states, cities, towns, etcs criminal database. If someone wanted to really spend a lot of time finding it they can, but in my case the FBI background check came in clean for me even though i may not have a clean record. However it can be entirely possible the HR can decide if something is not relevant from years ago.

I highly doubt they go through all 50 states criminal database and all the courts records. Even within states, different cities may not communicate well to the entire state. There’s no one large database of crimes on you like people imagine. I got pulled over in VA with a DL from texas and the cop told me the DL doesn’t register on his database because the state of texas doesn’t communicate very well with the commonwealth of virginia. So I could have had a arrest warrant out and he would have never even know.

I’m not sure why anyone would want to work at a Kindy unless it’s an absolute last resort. It has the double threat of both being the most aggravating kind of cramschool environment to work at, and the most legally dubious.

Don’t get offended, just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

Well, would anyone here be willing to help me out? I’m broke!

That’s pretty awful man. Sorry to see that kind of treatment towards you.

I’m sure people here would give you some advice. Many of us have been here for a while. But you need to let us know more about you and stuff. I don’t even know if you have a degree etc

I have a degree, tefl certificate and everything else except money

Teaching experience? Do you have to be a teacher?

No. It doesnt have to be a teaching job. Im open to working any job even if it’s cleaning up. Im trying to get out of Taiwan

I want to help you out but I’m not working with a lot and I’m not here to hold your hands through this. Can you speak Chinese, any particular skill sets, where are you etc. there’s a lot of things that people need to know to help you.

I dont know Chinese:frowning:
No particular skills besides playing piano. I live in Yangmei.

I think this is the best option, if you have someone in US to do that for you. The second best option might be you get the fbi check from here again.

really? I’ve thought it is illegal or gray at the best when the foreign teacher has a required degree or licence to work at kindy.

I’ve thought most kindy teachers are officially registered as buxiban teachers. Is it incorrect?

@Itsmeee, if you have a degree of education or required licence, public schools could be an option.

Start making calls, look at job listings, and get some boots on the ground. My first job I biked around to a bunch of places at 14 with my suit and backpack full of resumes. My first place I hit up they offered me the job on the spot. And pretty much every place I went to that day gave me some sort of job or encouragement seeing a kid bike around in a suit with a bunch of resumes. It might just take you walking into a bunch of schools and leaveing your resumes.

1 Like

@yyy seems to have the best answer, I recall one response on the subject that said the issue often is that business owners register a cram school as just that, and fail to register the kindergarten as a separate entity. From my understanding it is not explicitly illegal to work at a kindergarten, but rather that there is a right and wrong way to do so. And that’s what makes the gray area you mentioned.

There’s so much information on the subject, it is often hard to decipher which is accurate. @yyy often uses direct citations to Taiwanese law. On the other hand, I’m not a good source for information. I’ve only been in Taiwan for 9 months and mostly quote from personal experiences. That is why I told @Itsmeee to re-read the information they are quoting, seems they misunderstood it.

I didn’t see that Line convo before. Wow, that person is a complete dick. But dude, why do you NEED a Kindy? Apply for some other cramschool/ public school position. As a bonus, perhaps they won’t be such overt, shady racists.

And don’t sell yourself short by just assuming higher status jobs won’t hire you due to racial reasons. C’mon… not every boss/owner here is a raging, racist asshole. Only 70% or so. :wink:

1 Like